newinamerica

Interview coming up. Passport Expired!!! Help!

2 posts in this topic

Our AOS interview is on April 19th and I just saw that my passport expired in december.

I am the beneficiary of the AOS and I spoke to the consulate and they said that it will take

them four months to process a new passport request.

What do i do ? Do i just take my old passport to the Interview and tell them that I applied

for a new one but it will take four months ?

newinamerica

06/24/2005 - AOS, EAD and AP sent to CHI Lockbox

07/06/2005 - Notice Dates for AOS, and AP applications - RD 06/27/05

07/15/2005 - EAD and AOS fingerprints&biometrics done walk-in

07/27/2005 - AOS biometrics received

09/07/2005 - Advance Parole approved

09/07/2005 - EAD approved on 09/07/05. Email same night.

09/08/2005 - EAD Card received ( Issue date 09/01/05. Great !

09/09/2005 - Applied for SSN, not is system yet, manual verification pending.

09/14/2005 - Advance Parole docs received.

09/30/2005 - Received letter from SSA that my SSN card should come within two weeks.

10/11/2005 - Received Card. Great news. Thursday License test.

06/06/2006 - Initial AOS Interview in Chicago. ( Officer said she will review our case)

08/07/2006 - Contacted Senators officer to inquire into our case.

08/23/2006 - USCIS interviewing officer called us and wants us to go back for 2nd interview next week

09/08/2006 - second Interview in Chicago. - APPROVED after Stokes Interview.)

09/11/2006 - Enlistment in the United States Marine Corps - shipped to Boot Camp

12/15/2006 - Graduation from Boot Camp in San Diego MCRD

04/13/2007 - Fingerprints for N-400 and N-426 expedited. No more waiting at INS lines when in uniform.

04/14/2007 - Naturalization through qualifying Military Service submitted N-400.

09/20/2007 - Citizenship test and Swearing Ceremony - Applying for first US Passport.

10/02/2007 - Received my US Passport. Its beautiful.

10/16/2007 - Going on vacation to Greece. I missed it a lot.

11/02/2007 - Coming back from Greece through JFK. Its a nice feeling to be home again.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, apply for a new passport, and take the expired one with you to the interview. They may or may not give you a 551 stamp on an expired passport. In which case you would have to wait for your new passport to arrive, to get the stamp. However with current speed of card printing, you will likely have the greencard before you get the new passport.

I'm assuming you aren't planning on travel in the short term?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.