moyolawn

Adjusting from F1 OPT: Employment Evidence?

3 posts in this topic

[TL:DR, it doesn't say anything on the instructions to 'prove' being on OPT, right? aside from having a nice i-20 with OPT authorized, and an EAD card scanned, should I/we be showing evidence of employment to show it was 20+ hours each week? invoices/paystubs? Or am I good to go without any of that?!]

Hi, all!

This is my first post here. I am yet to find an answer to this question, though it might be that the answer is a simple 'no'! 

Tiny bit about me: I completed my Master's Degree and decided to pursue OPT for the year. During the Master's, I fell in love and ended up living with my partner throughout the OPT time too. he proposed to me and here we are!  I believe I've got all of the documents good to go for my AOS: (I might make another post about this too to clarify it all before I send it into the void...) So I'm a composer, and my job has been a Composer in Residence for a church, as well as a Teacher at a local school for song-writing/composition/writing. I've definitely accured more than 20 hours each week with this OPT. But it looks like the instructions don't have anything saying that we must prove it? I thought that OPT students would have an ordeal having to prove an entire year of work / volunteering / employment letters.

Any help is of course appreciated! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't believe you'll need to prove your OPT status and/or what you've been doing under OPT.  UNLESS your spouse does not make enough money as stipulated by the guidelines in Form I-864, your financial information isn't necessary.  Getting married puts you in sort of a limbo visa status.  Other than providing your I-20 and current EAD card for Form I-765, your F1/OPT status doesn't have a bearing on the rest of the paperwork.  That's my two cents and I'll let others weigh in here as well as I'm not a lawyer.

Your OPT does not really matter. As said above, you'll provide evidence of your i-20, OPT/EAD card, along with your visa stamps, etc, but nothing else. 

You will have to file for an EAD card along with AOS. Once your current OPT card expires you won't be able to use it any more so you will need the new one you can get through AOS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.