iian

Inquiry about the US Embassy in Nairobi Kenya

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi,does anyone have an idea of how long it takes before the consulate in Nairobi contact you regarding scheduling an interview? An how much does it usually cost for it in  Nairobi Kenya? I would also like to know about the medical part(cost and how long it takes for them to send the results to the embassy )thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello, I am currently waiting to receive my NOA2 but have you been able to schedule your medical exam and interview yet? Curious how the processing times are at the Nairobi consulate!

NOA1 Received Date: April 27th, 2017

NOA1 Notice Date: May 1st, 2017

RFE email notice: September 25th, 2017

RFE hardcopy received: September 28th, 2017

USCISs Response to RFE received: September 29th, 2017

NOA2: October 10th, 2017

NVC Received and Case Number Assigned: October 24th, 2017

NVC Left and Consulate Received: October 26th, 2017

Medical Exam: November 7th, 2017

Interview: December 5th, 2017 APPROVED

Visa on hand: December 8th, 2017

POE (LAX): December 12th, 2017

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi,so its been about a month since the consulate recieved our documents an we filled out a ds-160 but we haven't received any appointment date. We keep calling an bothering them but they never have any available. For the medical you need to have the embassy appointment date first in order to schedule the medical exam.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

An old topic, but it might be helpful to someone else looking around. There's really no standard time for waiting to be contacted. If after a couple of weeks you haven't been contacted, it's wise to call. We called the embassy about it/emailed them and they sent the email the following day. The interview fee is $265.

Medical exam now costs $188 for adults and $105 for kids (Since Sep 26th 2017), minus all  the vaccinations. Depending on how many vaccinations you need, the higher side would be KES 26,000 to 30,000. It's unlikely you'd need all these though. You could start the vaccinations a couple of months before the medical exams at local hospitals. Be careful though, there are certain (live) vaccines that need to be spaced appropriately (28 days), or one would nullify the other. I, for one have to retake the MMR because I got a Varicella shot 3 weeks after taking it.

I don't know how long it takes them to send the results to the embassy, but I expect a day or two, since the Exam Center and the Embassy are pretty close to each other.

Medicals take 2 days, and you are likely to spend an average of 4 hours on both days.

As for making the appointment, you'd have to get the email from the embassy first, then wait for a slot to open up on the appointment site, then pay the interview fee (MPESA is easiest in Kenya) and wait a day or two for it to be processed.  After confirmation, you again have to wait for a slot to open up to be able to book an appointment date. It's a convoluted process, but it is what it is. The trick, it to keep refreshing the appointment page several times a day, sooner or later a slot will open up.

Comprehensive enough I hope, for any other sojourners here.

Hope to add the interview experience after. 

Filed: IR-5 Country: Kenya
Timeline

Does the applicant have to set up their medical examination or is it done by the NVC/Embassy. My mother in laws interview was scheduled by the NVC and instructions are to have the medical check up prior to the interview. No further information is given. We are planning on calling the IOM offices in Nairobi to kind of get a clue on this. 

For those asking about the timeline, it took us 1 week from our case complete email to our interview date email. Of course all cases are different and we were lucky to get a case complete towards the end of October for a December appointment, I have read NVC starts scheduling interviews around this time (end month). 

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.