31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

What if we mailed out the package to Dallas lockbox...would the form G1145 work? I just saw that my credit card was charged today for the application fee, but so far no text,  no email.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

1 hour ago, Texaco5 said:

I think the Form G-1145 will only work for applications filed at the three USCIS Lockbox facilities located in Lewisville, Texas; Chicago, Illinois; and Phoenix, Arizona. Your receipt number suggests the application is in LINcoln, Nebraska and therefore probably explains why there were not texts or emails. The USCIS My Case Status account you set up will text and email you when your case status changes, but unfortunately you won't be able to see online copies of the notices they send before they arrive in the mail a few days after the notifications are sent.

Hmmm that makes sense! Yes I had to apply there because my husband serves in the military. Maybe once the case moves to the field office I will have more information!?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Please disregard my previous question. I just got text and email confirming that N400 application was received and NOA is on its way. 

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

8 minutes ago, deborabr said:

Maybe once the case moves to the field office I will have more information!?

Sadly not I'm afraid. If they aren't providing online updates from the start with a myuscis.dhs.gov account, then it isn't likely that you can have them switched on along the way. You can always try to create a new account using the URL below however since you don't have an 'Account Acceptance Notice' this may not work - you could always call the USCIS 1-800 customer service number and see if they can help with this now that you have a LIN reference number.

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Edited by Texaco5

2 hours ago, juliava said:

Please disregard my previous question. I just got text and email confirming that N400 application was received and NOA is on its way. 

Woo hoo!

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

3 hours ago, Texaco5 said:

I think the Form G-1145 will only work for applications filed at the three USCIS Lockbox facilities located in Lewisville, Texas; Chicago, Illinois; and Phoenix, Arizona. Your receipt number suggests the application is in LINcoln, Nebraska and therefore probably explains why there were not texts or emails. The USCIS My Case Status account you set up will text and email you when your case status changes, but unfortunately you won't be able to see online copies of the notices they send before they arrive in the mail a few days after the notifications are sent.

Yup.  

– EAC – Vermont Service Center;
VSC – Vermont Service Center;
– WAC – California Service Center;
CSC – California Service Center;
– LIN – Nebraska Service Center;
NSC – Nebraska Service Center;
– SRC – Texas Service Center;
TSC – Texas Service Center;
– MSC – National Benefits Center;
NBC – National Benefits Center;
– IOE – ELIS (e-Filing); and
– YSC – Potomac Service Center.

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

5 hours ago, Texaco5 said:

Sadly not I'm afraid. If they aren't providing online updates from the start with a myuscis.dhs.gov account, then it isn't likely that you can have them switched on along the way. You can always try to create a new account using the URL below however since you don't have an 'Account Acceptance Notice' this may not work - you could always call the USCIS 1-800 customer service number and see if they can help with this now that you have a LIN reference number.

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Thank you all for all the information! That was very helpful. I will wait and see if I get the fingerprints notice sometime soon! =)

On 6/2/2017 at 5:43 PM, Texaco5 said:

Biometrics appointments normally happen 2-3 weeks after you apply and the biometric appointment letter is normally mailed out quite quickly after the application is received. I have seen instances where people have simply shown up at the biometric service center with their appointment letter in advance of their appointment and they have been processed as a 'walk in' as they were facing similar travel deadlines.

If you are eligible to file the N-400 online, I can recommend that approach over the paper filing. I filed a marriage-based app online after 10 years of having a green card in early February and was a citizen by mid April (68 days). All you will need is a scanner to turn the supporting evidence docs (tax returns, marriage license etc.) into PDFs to attach to the application. If you file online, you will set up a dhs.gov account in order to do this (more on this below).

If you are filing using the paper N-400 forms, then you need to submit a Form G-1145 with your N-400. They will then send you back a PIN so you can set up an online account at https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

This is the better of the two online tracking systems since they load PDF scans of the letters they send you into this account which are typically available 4-5 days before they arrive in the mail.

There is also a separate tracking system at https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

This one only sends email/text notifications when your case status changes and I found the dhs.gov version to be much more helpful.

If you want to figure out if you are eligible to submit the N-400 online, you can use this link (they are only accepting online applications from a small number of applicants at this time, so this may be why I ended up being processed so quickly). I have seen a few others who have qualified to file online and they have been processed inside of 3-4 months too. Just scroll to the top of the page at the link below and hit the green 'Apply' button and answer the questions they ask (I stumbled upon it by accident in early February when I was researching the USCIS website to see what was required to apply).

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/us_citizen_through_naturalization#benefit-related-content-2

If you decide to apply online, just be sure to read the Instructions on how to fill in the form N-400 at the link below and make sure you have scanned PDFs of the supporting evidence documents available to attach to the online application as you are answering the questions. It sounds like you may already have prepared most of this if you already have a package ready to go.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

If you apply online, you can pay with your credit card and the priority date is the date on which you apply (as opposed to the date on which they receive your paper application and cash your check), and it circumvents the need for the USCIS to transcribe the information you submit on the paper N-400 form into their computer system too. You can also log out of the application and it will save the information you have entered so that you can come back to it later and finish it off.

Oh man...didn't know about the applying online bit for the N400. Apparently I qualify, so I'm tempted to pay the fee again and apply here just to shave 3-4 months off my processing time.

Dumb question on my part - but would anyone happen to know if you can apply separately twice for the same benefit?

Finally you said:

If you are filing using the paper N-400 forms, then you need to submit a Form G-1145 with your N-400. They will then send you back a PIN so you can set up an online account at https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

I've never received a pin from my G-1145 filing, neither for my AOS nor N400. I created an account on the DHS website, but there doesn't seem to be a way to track an already filed app. Is that what you were suggesting? If so, could you please elaborate?

Cheers!

AOS

03/08/2014 (Day 000) AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox including - I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131
05/12/2014 (Day 060) Successful walk-in biometrics completed at Varick ST ASC

05/14/2014 (Day 062) Received text and e-mail notifications that I-485 status updated to "Testing and Interview"

07/25/2014 (Day 135) Went in for interview - was fairly straightforward

08/02/2014 (Day 143) Green Card in hand

ROC

05/24/2016 (Day 000) ROC package sent to VSC

06/24/2016 (Day 031) Early Walk-in biometrics completed

10/06/2016 (Day 135) Got I-551 stamp in passport

05/01/2017 (Day 342) ROC Approved - didn't get notification, hard copy received 05/05? 

05/15/2017 (Day 356) Received 10Y Green Card in Mail

N400

05/24/2017 (Day 000) N400 package sent to Dallas/Lewisville Lockbox

06/09/2017 (Day 016) Received biometrics appointment notice for 06/20/2017, Early walk-in on 06/12

11/13/2018 (Day 538) In-line for interview

11/27/2018 (Day 552) Interview scheduled for 01/03/2019

01/03/2019 (Day 589) Interview passed at Federal Plaza and recommended for approval

9 hours ago, MnMJourney said:

Dumb question on my part - but would anyone happen to know if you can apply separately twice for the same benefit?

I've never received a pin from my G-1145 filing, neither for my AOS nor N400. I created an account on the DHS website, but there doesn't seem to be a way to track an already filed app. Is that what you were suggesting? If so, could you please elaborate?

I have seen people on other immigration websites saying that they applied twice after they determined that some of the IOE/ELIS applications were moving more quickly. Last year a whole lot of paper applications were converted to the ELIS electronic processing system which have IOE as the first three digits of the application reference number (instead of NBC, LIN etc.). Unfortunately this slowed down a lot of the processing for these initial applications as they weren't quite ready to cope with the influx of applications however the USCIS seems to have started allowing people to apply online directly as I discovered by accident in February and these later applications seem to be progressing through a lot more quickly.

There is nothing stopping you from applying twice for the same benefit however I don't think they will issue a refund for the first application fee, just FYI. The processing may differ between field offices, however I was processed through the Los Angeles County field office which along with New York, Chicago, Miami and Houston is one of the busier USCIS offices, so applying online may result in a faster turnaround. In my case it was 68 days, start to finish (hit send on Feb 9th, took the oath on April 18th) and I saw another case by a German applicant who was processed in just over 90 days in Santa Clara, CA. Compared to the published processing times, this is about 1/3rd of the normal turn around time. A lot of other factors can play into this, such as the time it takes to process your name through background checks etc.

The G1145 filing should have sent an email or text when they received you application and if you go to the 'Check my Case Status' part of the USCIS website, you should be able to set up an account to text/email you as your case progresses. If you have a DHS.gov account, it may be possible for them to link your application to your account. I recall reading somewhere that another applicant had called the USCIS customer service number and had asked for assistance linking their N-400 application reference number to their myuscis.dhs.gov account and they were able to do this, so it can't hurt to ask them if they can do this for you - I think it was the USCIS online support team that they asked to speak to who facilitated this. That being said, the myuscis.dhs.gov account may need an IOE application number and this normally is only available if you have applied online of if you were one of the applicants who had their paper apps converted to the ELIS online system last year.

@Texaco5 Thanks for sharing the additional info - its very helpful. And like I said, didn't know about the online filing, so created an account to see what it would entail last night. Looks like I am eligible and since I have the docs already, not too much effort for me to submit another application. So it was an interesting proposition for me last night. 

9 hours ago, Texaco5 said:

There is nothing stopping you from applying twice for the same benefit however I don't think they will issue a refund for the first application fee, just FYI. The processing may differ between field offices, however I was processed through the Los Angeles County field office which along with New York, Chicago, Miami and Houston is one of the busier USCIS offices, so applying online may result in a faster turnaround. In my case it was 68 days, start to finish (hit send on Feb 9th, took the oath on April 18th) and I saw another case by a German applicant who was processed in just over 90 days in Santa Clara, CA. Compared to the published processing times, this is about 1/3rd of the normal turn around time. A lot of other factors can play into this, such as the time it takes to process your name through background checks etc.

I see your point here and you're correct - I can submit multiple apps. I'm OK with the worst case scenario being I just shell out and extra ~$700 to shave off a few months of processing time. After thinking about it more last night and reading your post this morning, I think the worst case is not losing the extra fee, but having 2 apps confusing USCIS and causing delays. Not sure if it would, but I can see it potentially being a problem. The best case on the other hand is as you said processing in a third of the time. 

So I thought about the odds of both extremes. I tried to find anecdotal evidence on this forum, but seems people rarely use the IOE service (or denote it in the tracker) - I noticed you were the only in Feb. In your case, I noted your GC was over 10 years ago, so maybe you've probably been in the states longer. I personally think longer residency here cuts the background check process - which may have factored into your expedited decision. I'm in a similar situation with over 20 years of continuations residence here as F1, H1-B then PR, and haven't yet had an issue with checks. So really it might boil down to the fact the e-applications are faster for the offices to access and process. Actually I assumed that once we send files in, they are scanned in anyway, and officers are working off the electronic versions. But then I've read here people going into interviews and officers opening dossiers containing every single piece of paper you've sent in. So that may be the tie breaker. But I'll do some more research in this forum to see if there's any further anecdotal evidence of faster IOE processing. Are you aware of any other cases than the two you mentioned?

9 hours ago, Texaco5 said:

The G1145 filing should have sent an email or text when they received you application and if you go to the 'Check my Case Status' part of the USCIS website, you should be able to set up an account to text/email you as your case progresses. If you have a DHS.gov account, it may be possible for them to link your application to your account. I recall reading somewhere that another applicant had called the USCIS customer service number and had asked for assistance linking their N-400 application reference number to their myuscis.dhs.gov account and they were able to do this, so it can't hurt to ask them if they can do this for you - I think it was the USCIS online support team that they asked to speak to who facilitated this. That being said, the myuscis.dhs.gov account may need an IOE application number and this normally is only available if you have applied online of if you were one of the applicants who had their paper apps converted to the ELIS online system last year.

After creating an DHS account I tried that last night - -seems like a need an application acceptance number, which I don't have, to add my case to that site. Guess I could call USCIS - but not sure I have the patience for that.

I just received a notification that they sent me my bio metrics appt letter - but off course without the IOE app, I can't see it and can't do the walk-in till I get it. I'm already  about 2 weeks into my priority date, so I'm really torn if its worth going the other route given the potential for confusion. What are your thoughts?

AOS

03/08/2014 (Day 000) AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox including - I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131

05/14/2014 (Day 062) Received text and e-mail notifications that I-485 status updated to "Testing and Interview"

ROC

05/01/2017 (Day 342) ROC Approved - didn't get notification, hard copy received 05/05? 

N400

06/09/2017 (Day 016) Received biometrics appointment notice for 06/20/2017, Early walk-in on 06/12

01/03/2019 (Day 589) Interview passed at Federal Plaza and recommended for approval

24 minutes ago, MnMJourney said:

@Texaco5 Thanks for sharing the additional info - its very helpful. And like I said, didn't know about the online filing, so created an account to see what it would entail last night. Looks like I am eligible and since I have the docs already, not too much effort for me to submit another application. So it was an interesting proposition for me last night. 

So I thought about the odds of both extremes. I tried to find anecdotal evidence on this forum, but seems people rarely use the IOE service (or denote it in the tracker) - I noticed you were the only in Feb. So really it might boil down to the fact the e-applications are faster for the offices to access and process. Actually I assumed that once we send files in, they are scanned in anyway, and officers are working off the electronic versions. But then I've read here people going into interviews and officers opening dossiers containing every single piece of paper you've sent in. So that may be the tie breaker. But I'll do some more research in this forum to see if there's any further anecdotal evidence of faster IOE processing. Are you aware of any other cases than the two you mentioned?

I just received a notification that they sent me my bio metrics appt letter - but off course without the IOE app, I can't see it and can't do the walk-in till I get it. I'm already  about 2 weeks into my priority date, so I'm really torn if its worth going the other route given the potential for confusion. What are your thoughts?

In my case, I had applied to renew my GC back in November '16 and then decided in February '17 to apply for citizenship, so my I-90 renewal application had already been in process for about 2+ months when I pulled the trigger on citizenship. I did a biometrics appt in mid December for the I-90 so may have already cleared background check as part of that and I think the background checks are valid for 12-18 months or so from something I read within the past few months.

It was by virtue of filing the I-90 online that I had a myaccount.dhs.gov account as they encourage applicants to apply online for renewal these days. My GC renewal application was still pending when I became a citizen so I had to write to USCIS and withdraw the GC renewal application in May.

There are plenty of stories about IOE applications over on the trackitt dot com site, some horror stories from paper filers that were converted to IOE in '16 by USCIS at a time when they evidently couldn't cope with the workload and just got stuck in limbo. The USCIS has subsequently streamlined the workflow however I think the biggest benefit of online filing is that it removes the scan and validate process that occurs when a paper file is received at the processing center.

When I went for my interview there was a sizeable paper file on the officers desk (I've been in the US on and off since '93 on L1, H1 and eventually LPR status) however all the changes to my application were made on the computer with the file being used for reference here and there. I think that they also send your paper file from a central location to the local field office ahead of the interview too.

Unless you really want to save a few months (which isn't guaranteed) and you want to spend an extra $725 then I would just sit tight. I have also seen some February filers who filed with paper already becoming citizens if you look at the February Filers 2017 thread on this site, so IOE may not be the sole defining factor here. On the other side of the argument however, you will see from other immigration websites that the New York field office can take a while to process applications due to their workload of applicants, so an online app may be one way to reduce this.

Edited by Texaco5

@Texaco5 /TrueBrit, thanks so for your input!  I did just completed a lot of research on the other site. Throughout my journey, I've preferred this site simply because I find it more user friendly. The other site seems to have a wider user base, probably  with more professionals, which amounted to more technical info I found useful. 

Halfway through my research, I was convinced I'd be filing an IOE app tonight. Based on the cases I read, seems like the duplicate apps would be treated as independent applications and be processed separately, so the risk of causing confusion is low. However, as I read more cases, I wasn't convinced there would be a significant time saving. I think the average time saving could be roughly 2 months. For example an SFO IOE filer took his/her oath in 4 months, when USCIS is showing about 6/7 months for the FO  - but its not clear if a NBC application would have been any more that 4 months. One user you may know filed in the Newark FO both IOE and NBC, and their interview was 2 months earlier on the IOE than NBC, however their NBC app had some notable processing delays from the get go. So like you mentioned, no guarantee an IOE app will be processed earlier, but it could be about 2 months earlier if you want to be optimistic. Your case, I think based on your description may be a good outlier at 3months as LA is showing similar processing times to SFO. 

On the other end I also saw NYC paper applicants being scheduled at 5/6 months, which would would mean oath at 6/7, USCIS is showing 9/10 months of processing. I'm assuming if there aren't any complications, one can expect the 6-7 month processing as some are noting. Not sure if IOE would cut that to 4/5 months - possibly, but would be optimistic. So considering all that, at the conclusion of my review, I decided not to file an additional IOE app. I'm 2 weeks into my app, and things have been buzzing along. Just got my notification for FPs and will try and get that done ASAP. If I started and IOE now, the potential 8 week potential advantage would be cut to 6 weeks. So I just don't see the value in doing another app for that level of savings when things on the other end seem to be buzzing along.

Anyway - I do really appreciate your advice and help. I guess you don't have any other apps with USCIS, so I'll just wish you good luck in general! And I hope others on this site finds your advice and this exchange somewhat helpful.

Cheers!

AOS

ROC

N400

I sent my application on June 1st they received it on June 5th, yesterday got a text and e-mail from uscis : ur case was received receipt # NBC ********* follow my I-797 in the mail.

does this mean they accepted my application already?

1 hour ago, Lela37 said:

does this mean they accepted my application already?

Yes it does. You I-797C receipt letter should be arriving in the mail shortly and after that you will receive an invitation to attend a bioemetric appointment where they will take your picture and your fingerprints.

7 minutes ago, Texaco5 said:

Yes it does. You I-797C receipt letter should be arriving in the mail shortly and after that you will receive an invitation to attend a bioemetric appointment where they will take your picture and your fingerprints.

Thank you for ur response, 

very excited

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.