tq999

Impact of Temporary Posting Abroad on Naturalization

1 post in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone, I have been reviewing this site for more than 2 years but have never had a reason to post until now (my wife was making fun of me for finally having an excuse to post). I also am not sure if this is the correct forum and couldn’t decide between this one and the one about Working in the US During Immigration.

Our situation: I am a USC and my wife is here on a Green Card that she received through marriage ( IR1, 10 year) and entered the USA in November 2015. We both work in the same industry.

The company I am working for wants the both of us to move to India for between 3-6 months to assist with our new office there. I would continue my role but would be based in India temporarily and they would hire her initially for this project with an offer to continue with the company after we return. During the time we would be in India we would be returning to the USA every 4- 6 weeks to visit clients so it would not be 6 consecutive months and we would not agree to stay over 6 months due to other personal considerations. We would both be receiving a US salary including health benefits deposited to our shared account.

Questions: What would the impact of taking the temporary position be on her planned naturalization application once she is eligible ? Also, in this case do we need to file any paperwork with USCIS in this case to ensure we don’t have issues at the border since we will be coming in and out of the country every few weeks? Finally, does the company I work for need to do anything special with her offer letter such as indicate the dates for the India position and then the location/ nature of the long term job? They are willing to help if need be.

Thank you all for any assistance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.