ImagineMe

Old criminal misdemeanors

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Tried finding something similar in the forums, but it was time consuming, so here is my question:

I have 2 prior misdemeanors (1997 & 2004), neither are domestic violence or sex offender related. But going to the local district courts where they were convicted at, they barely have any information on paper anymore. I was able to get 2 pieces of paper for the 2004 disorderly conduct charge but it only showed that I plead guilty and the fines assessed with a year probation. 

The 1997 one I havent called the court yet but I imagine it will be probably about destroyed. I dont want to end up having a Request for Evidence, but I have attachments for both issues included with my I-129f paperwork ready to submit with as much detail as I can remember. Will lack of court documents be an issue? None of this was on a federal level; only locally was it handled.

You only need to provide full documentation if the crimes are in the "specific crimes list" or if you have three or more arrests/convictions for matters involving controlled substances. 

If the crimes are not on the list of specific crimes (see the I-129F instructions for the full list) then you do not need the documents. The USCIS employees will know all the details of the crimes anyway - this question is just a test to see if you will tell the truth.  

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Thanks for your answer. I guess I just didnt read it as that. After reading it again, I understand what is meant. Very glad I dont have to go through the motions and can answer no to all those questions. It was quite the task just to find info to this day on any of the past and I didnt want to bring it back up. Thanks again!

Timeline

Ok,so with this attachment, it asked of ANY charges other than traffic violations. Once I read the instructions again, it told me that I needed certified documents of the crimes.  But if there was no such documents anymore, that I needed to have the court say that in another certified document.  So I guess considering Question 4A, I will be including and explaining the 2 misdemeanors from my past just in case, and providing the court document stating that there are no such documents anymore.  Ah the age of being young and stupid.  Never realize that something long from the past could still be a pain in the ###! 

4A.jpg.c3e5a0f869ff7c4f4b732eeb721bc422.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.