Thai Pham

IS Co-sponsor Allowed For K1 at HCMC Embassy?

26 posts in this topic

In 2004 and 2005 I made alot more than the proverty guidlines. but in 2006 I kept going back and forward from Vietnam that's why I did make enough . Is a co-sponsor accepted in HCMC ? starting since Oct 2006 I've been working until now steadily .

Did anyone that pass the interview with a joint sponsor for K1 visa lately in HCMC?

I-129F sent and recieved by USCIS on Feb 16th, 2007-Also I fly to Vietnam to see my fiancee on today. This is the 4th times I have flied to vietnam within a year time frame. I miss her.

02-20-2007 check cashed

02-22-2007 NOA1 hard copy

02-24-2007 Touched

03-01-2007 Touched

03-02-2007 Touched

03-07-2007 NOA2 by email .

03-11-2007 Touched

03-12-2007 NOA2 hardcopy in the mail

03-20-2007 NVC sent my package to HCMC embassy

03-24-2007 HCMC Embassy received my package

03-30-2007 My fiancee received her packet 3

03-31-2007 My fiancee dropped off Packet 3 at the Embassy.

05-17-2007 Wedding Ceremony at Sinhdoi Restaurante

06-27-2007 Recieved Packet 4

07-20-2007 Interview Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I don't know if I have talked to you before about this or not, but here it goes...HCMC hates approving applicants who have no financial difficulties, let alone those who do. DO NOT RELY ON A CO-SPONSOR WITH HCMC. I went through this with my now wife, Ngan. I made $14,000.00 in 2005 and $9,500.00 in 2006. Now, given I was in Viet Nam for most of those years, earning and not claiming any income what-so-ever, those figures above are what the US knew of. Ngan and I ended up talking to a service company in HCM, the owner was a good friend of my friend, a travel agent, the service was free so we went. The man had nothing to gain nor lose, it was a free service. He told us that HCM has not taken co-sponsors since Jan. 2005, and that from what he has seen, nobody has been approved with a co-sponsor. Now, my whole case was depending on a co-sponsor (my parents), this threw my wife and I way off as her interview was two weeks away. I made many good friends while residing in 'Nam, one of my closest friends had a friend(a woman)that worked inside the consulate as a foreign service lady. Her job was to review the denied applications (green slip's), she agreed to meet my wife and I and my friend at a restaurant to discuss our options, she flat out told us that she has piles of piles of piles of denied applicant's with co-sponsors, HCM does not take them. She said that if they take them, it was a very, very rare case. So, with a still disbelief in my system, I emailed my cousin's best friend, Steve Brault, the chief consular in Hanoi, he, in return called the IV consular in HCM who also confirmed that they hate co-sponsors, only very rare cases get approved. So, with a week remaining, I used my genius and had my parents do a 1099 for $8,500.00 for my help with their lot, money they gave me that I wouldn't have claimed if not for this circumstance, that upped my 2006 income to over $16,500.00, I redid and re-notarized my I-134 at the consulate the day before Ngan's interview and she passed, luckily. Don't rely on a co-sponsor with HCM, just don't. It's before April 15th, so you can amend your taxes, redo them with a 1099 gift, up you salary, lose your return, just get it above $17,500(i think that's the 2007 poverty level). If you have any more questions, PM me.

K-1

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent :2006-06-23

I-129F NOA1 :2006-07-11

I-129F NOA2 :2006-10-11

NVC Left :2006-10-26

Consulate Received :2006-11-02

Packet 3 Received :2006-11-14

Packet 3 Sent :2006-11-15

Packet 4 Received :2007-01-22

Interview Date :2007-02-13 Submit Review

Visa Received :2007-02-14

US Entry :2007-02-20

Your interview took 235 days from filing.

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office :Seattle WA

Date Filed :2007-04-02

BioMetrics: 2007-05-03

Touched: 2007-05-04

Interview: 2007-07-19 PASSED!!!

Employment Authorization Document

Approved: 2007-6-18

Card Recieved: 2007-6-25

Removing Conditions

I-715 Sent California: 2009-4-23

I-715 recieved: 2009-4-24

I-797C NOA recieved 2009-5-16

Biometrics letter recieved: 2009-06-22

Biometrics: 2009-07-10

Approved: 2009-08-13

10 Year Card Arrived: 2009-08-18

Timeline
I don't know if I have talked to you before about this or not, but here it goes...HCMC hates approving applicants who have no financial difficulties, let alone those who do. DO NOT RELY ON A CO-SPONSOR WITH HCMC. I went through this with my now wife, Ngan. I made $14,000.00 in 2005 and $9,500.00 in 2006. Now, given I was in Viet Nam for most of those years, earning and not claiming any income what-so-ever, those figures above are what the US knew of. Ngan and I ended up talking to a service company in HCM, the owner was a good friend of my friend, a travel agent, the service was free so we went. The man had nothing to gain nor lose, it was a free service. He told us that HCM has not taken co-sponsors since Jan. 2005, and that from what he has seen, nobody has been approved with a co-sponsor. Now, my whole case was depending on a co-sponsor (my parents), this threw my wife and I way off as her interview was two weeks away. I made many good friends while residing in 'Nam, one of my closest friends had a friend(a woman)that worked inside the consulate as a foreign service lady. Her job was to review the denied applications (green slip's), she agreed to meet my wife and I and my friend at a restaurant to discuss our options, she flat out told us that she has piles of piles of piles of denied applicant's with co-sponsors, HCM does not take them. She said that if they take them, it was a very, very rare case. So, with a still disbelief in my system, I emailed my cousin's best friend, Steve Brault, the chief consular in Hanoi, he, in return called the IV consular in HCM who also confirmed that they hate co-sponsors, only very rare cases get approved. So, with a week remaining, I used my genius and had my parents do a 1099 for $8,500.00 for my help with their lot, money they gave me that I wouldn't have claimed if not for this circumstance, that upped my 2006 income to over $16,500.00, I redid and re-notarized my I-134 at the consulate the day before Ngan's interview and she passed, luckily. Don't rely on a co-sponsor with HCM, just don't. It's before April 15th, so you can amend your taxes, redo them with a 1099 gift, up you salary, lose your return, just get it above $17,500(i think that's the 2007 poverty level). If you have any more questions, PM me.

There is only one case I have seen here on VJ where HCMC approved a Visa for a Co-Sponser and that in itself was rare. I don't think he is around any longer since he hasn't posted but you can do a search on this forum under Co-sponser. It's been addressed many times and you are bound to find answers in the archive.

K1 Time Line

Don and Linh

October 22, 2006 - Sent I-129F

November 2, 2006 - NOA1

January 30, 2007 - NOA2

February 8, 2007 - Arrives at NVC

February 12, 2007 - Arrives at Consultate in HCMC

February 28, 2007 - Consulate sends out Packet 3

March 8, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved

May 11, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved by Consulate

• 1 month later...
Timeline

i used a co-sponsor but i DO NOT know how heavily it weighed in on their final decision, but many of the blue slips we got were rooted with financial issues. I made $16+ in 2003 and 2004, made 2k in 2005, and 14.5k in 2006 (started work in June '06, salary at 26k) and 2007 is on pace for 28k (my pay stub during her May interview was at 9k). we got approved and i used my father as a co-sponsor. So i don't really know how involved a co-sponsor is in their rationale. But on one of my blue slip it said something to the extent: until you can provide proof that you are a full-time student a co-sponsor cannot be used. So, obviously some time it happens but the point is to prove that you can work, earn enough and be ABLE to MAINTAIN that level. hope this help, please let me know if you need further explanation on my case.

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

What about if you have worked last year and filed making 50K but this year you are umployed for 6 months and looking for a job? I have about 60K in liquid cash would that be enough to be except? Do you need show a job status of some kind to meet the Affidivat of support?

thanks

" Good Luck and Thank you to all "

Timeline
i used a co-sponsor but i DO NOT know how heavily it weighed in on their final decision, but many of the blue slips we got were rooted with financial issues. I made $16+ in 2003 and 2004, made 2k in 2005, and 14.5k in 2006 (started work in June '06, salary at 26k) and 2007 is on pace for 28k (my pay stub during her May interview was at 9k). we got approved and i used my father as a co-sponsor. So i don't really know how involved a co-sponsor is in their rationale. But on one of my blue slip it said something to the extent: until you can provide proof that you are a full-time student a co-sponsor cannot be used. So, obviously some time it happens but the point is to prove that you can work, earn enough and be ABLE to MAINTAIN that level. hope this help, please let me know if you need further explanation on my case.

What happens if you current don't have a job but have liquid cash of 60K and looking for a job. I filed making 50K in 2006, 45K in 2005 and 40k in 2004 in my tax return. Does this meet the quilitfied provety line? Can I also use my sister as a co-sponser? She make over 100K now. She made over 80K last year. She is married but her husband make over 60K.....

Timeline
In 2004 and 2005 I made alot more than the proverty guidlines. but in 2006 I kept going back and forward from Vietnam that's why I did make enough . Is a co-sponsor accepted in HCMC ? starting since Oct 2006 I've been working until now steadily .

Did anyone that pass the interview with a joint sponsor for K1 visa lately in HCMC?

Here are some information on Proberty Guidelines from USCIS website.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

Needs for meeting the Guidelines of Incomes........

Hope this helps...

Good luck to alll...

Timeline

All they care about, as far as I know, is your last years income...so it seems to me that you would be fine. Just write a letter, maybe, explaining the reason you're now unemployed, as to why you don't have an employer's letter. I think you have nothing to worry about though.

K-1

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent :2006-06-23

I-129F NOA1 :2006-07-11

I-129F NOA2 :2006-10-11

NVC Left :2006-10-26

Consulate Received :2006-11-02

Packet 3 Received :2006-11-14

Packet 3 Sent :2006-11-15

Packet 4 Received :2007-01-22

Interview Date :2007-02-13 Submit Review

Visa Received :2007-02-14

US Entry :2007-02-20

Your interview took 235 days from filing.

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office :Seattle WA

Date Filed :2007-04-02

BioMetrics: 2007-05-03

Interview: 2007-07-19 PASSED!!!

Employment Authorization Document

Approved: 2007-6-18

Card Recieved: 2007-6-25

Removing Conditions

I-715 Sent California: 2009-4-23

I-715 recieved: 2009-4-24

I-797C NOA recieved 2009-5-16

Biometrics letter recieved: 2009-06-22

Biometrics: 2009-07-10

Approved: 2009-08-13

10 Year Card Arrived: 2009-08-18

Timeline
All they care about, as far as I know, is your last years income...so it seems to me that you would be fine. Just write a letter, maybe, explaining the reason you're now unemployed, as to why you don't have an employer's letter. I think you have nothing to worry about though.

I quit my Job on the last day of Dec06. My story is I went to Vietnam with a friend in January for 1 month where I met Amy. We kept in touch and so I decided to not look for a job because I want to go back and visit in april til June which I did. Now it's June and I am back look for a job which I hope to find soon.I already filed for K1 petiton on June 27. I really don't want to use my sister as a co-sponser because I heard that it may delay my process. Is this true? Does anyone have any information on co-sponser for Vietnam Embassy. I heard that the Vietnamese Embassy is pretty strictly on these issues...

Thanks for the reply....

Edited by Vietnam07

I quit my Job on the last day of Dec06. My story is I went to Vietnam with a friend in January for 1 month where I met Amy. We kept in touch and so I decided to not look for a job because I want to go back and visit in april til June which I did. Now it's June and I am back look for a job which I hope to find soon.I already filed for K1 petiton on June 27. I really don't want to use my sister as a co-sponser because I heard that it may delay my process. Is this true? Does anyone have any information on co-sponser for Vietnam Embassy. I heard that the Vietnamese Embassy is pretty strictly on these issues...

Thanks for the reply....

you sound like me bro. I quit my job for love . lolz ...well, i actually didnt quit. I took it as Leave of Absence so I can come back to work whenever I want .

I-129F sent and recieved by USCIS on Feb 16th, 2007-Also I fly to Vietnam to see my fiancee on today. This is the 4th times I have flied to vietnam within a year time frame. I miss her.

02-20-2007 check cashed

02-24-2007 Touched

03-01-2007 Touched

03-02-2007 Touched

03-11-2007 Touched

Timeline

Thanks for the reply....

you sound like me bro. I quit my job for love . lolz ...well, i actually didnt quit. I took it as Leave of Absence so I can come back to work whenever I want .

At least you won't have problems with the affidiavit support form. It look like you are almost there. It's hard being away from her. I might have to go back in late december to see her. It's only been 4 weeks and I and dying. We had so much fun there. Took lot of pictures and memories together. I am trying to do this proess in 6 month so I can go back and have a egagment party plus bring her back with me in late december. Good luck to you....Keep me posted!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply....

At least you won't have problems with the affidiavit support form. It look like you are almost there. It's hard being away from her. I might have to go back in late december to see her. It's only been 4 weeks and I and dying. We had so much fun there. Took lot of pictures and memories together. I am trying to do this proess in 6 month so I can go back and have a egagment party plus bring her back with me in late december. Good luck to you....Keep me posted!!!!!!!

Thank you very much man. Do you do any business in New York ? I'm in Philly. If you are a business man and you mean BIZ please let me know. my day job is just a sidekick 1.

02-20-2007 check cashed

02-24-2007 Touched

03-01-2007 Touched

03-02-2007 Touched

03-11-2007 Touched

• 1 year later...
Timeline
until you can provide proof that you are a full-time student a co-sponsor cannot be used

I am doing K1 for HCMC and will use a co-sponsor also. I am just wondering that many have failed because of co-sponsor for K1. However, I am a full time student with little income. Then, there shouldn't be any reason to deny if I can provide enough evidence of relationship?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
until you can provide proof that you are a full-time student a co-sponsor cannot be used

I am doing K1 for HCMC and will use a co-sponsor also. I am just wondering that many have failed because of co-sponsor for K1. However, I am a full time student with little income. Then, there shouldn't be any reason to deny if I can provide enough evidence of relationship?

Co sponsors at HCMC don't get too far from everything that I know. Some friends of mine have been fighting that battle for a couple of years. She's a student in the US, he's a computer tech in VN. IT all comes down to the Affidavit of Support. If you don't meet the requirements, it's going to be a tough, tough process.

Get educated, be persistent, and keep your fiance's spirits up. That will get you through this process. And it is worth every bit of agony.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.