christine55

Which address to use?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am filling out the I-130 form for my husband and am wondering what address I should use for myself. We live in Norway, but I am moving back to the U.S. in the beginning of August while he waits to get his green card in Norway. Should I use the address I will be living at when back in the U.S. or should I use the address I live at now? Also, how will I pay the fees from abroad? Thanks!

Current address.

Money order in US Funds or send to a friend/relative in the USA and pay them back. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
15 hours ago, christine55 said:

I am filling out the I-130 form for my husband and am wondering what address I should use for myself. We live in Norway, but I am moving back to the U.S. in the beginning of August while he waits to get his green card in Norway. Should I use the address I will be living at when back in the U.S. or should I use the address I live at now? Also, how will I pay the fees from abroad? Thanks!

using the address abroad didn't work for us, so we used my husband's parents' address, where he is also registered (but he lived in Estonia with me) .  that's the only way we got the mail, since they often do not send hard copies abroad. If you don't want them, then Norway address is more than fine

TIMELINE

31 May 2016 - legally married in Estonia, just the 2 of us
27 July 2016 - wedding ceremony & reception

USCIS Phase

08 September 2016 - I-130 sent to USCIS Chicago Lockbox (FILED FROM ABROAD)

14 September - I-130 received at Nebraska Service Center

16 September - NOA1 via e-mail

29 September - notice returned to USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it

22 November - NOA1 finally received in the mail (in the US)

31 March 2017 - NOA 2 via e-mail, app and USCIS website

3 April - NOA 2 received in the mail (in the US)

11 April - Case Was Sent to Department of State 

NVC Phase

17 April - Case received by NVC

20 April - NVC case number assigned

21 April -  DS-261 Completed Online
25 April - Welcome e-mail received, AOS fee paid
27 April - IV fee Invoiced, IV fee paid
6 May - DS-260 Completed
10 May - AOS and IV package sent

15 May - Scan date

12 July - Case complete 😀
14 July - P4 Interview Letter

08 August - Medical

17 August - INTERVIEW - approved!
18 August - VISA ISSUED
23 August - Picked up the PASSPORT with the VISA inside

26 August - Immigrant Fee paid
18 September, 2017 - POE 

Removal Of Conditions

25 June, 2019 - ROC packet sent 
27 June - ROC packet delivered

48 minutes ago, heyusa said:

using the address abroad didn't work for us, so we used my husband's parents' address, where he is also registered (but he lived in Estonia with me) .  that's the only way we got the mail, since they often do not send hard copies abroad. If you don't want them, then Norway address is more than fine

Thank you! But then what do I say when asked how long I've been living there? And my employer is still in Norway unless I say I have already quit working?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, christine55 said:

Thank you! But then what do I say when asked how long I've been living there? And my employer is still in Norway unless I say I have already quit working?

Hmm, I am actually not sure as we had to call the USCIS later as we changed his mailing address to the US one since they couldn't deliver the mail to Estonia... But is there not an option to put down a mailing address (USA) and a separate physical address (Norway)? I really can't recall what the I130 forms exactly asked for...

TIMELINE

USCIS Phase

29 September - notice returned to USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it

NVC Phase

6 May - DS-260 Completed

15 May - Scan date

08 August - Medical

18 August - VISA ISSUED

18 September, 2017 - POE 

Removal Of Conditions

1 minute ago, heyusa said:

Hmm, I am actually not sure as we had to call the USCIS later as we changed his mailing address to the US one since they couldn't deliver the mail to Estonia... But is there not an option to put down a mailing address (USA) and a separate physical address (Norway)? I really can't recall what the I130 forms exactly asked for...

Yes there Is! Duh! Thank you haha

3 minutes ago, heyusa said:

Do you know anything about the copies of the documents to be sent in?

Timeline
58 minutes ago, christine55 said:

Do you know anything about the copies of the documents to be sent in?

I agree, read this for example: CR1/IR1 guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

And when you've sent your I-130 and the required documents to the USCIS, it will be a while until you can send the rest of the documents (NVC phase) in, but after you get the NOA 1(Notice of Action from the Service Center you will be assigned to), you may start preparing by reading the guide for the NVC and gathering the necessary documents. NVC wiki: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

TIMELINE

USCIS Phase

NVC Phase

6 May - DS-260 Completed

15 May - Scan date

08 August - Medical

18 August - VISA ISSUED

18 September, 2017 - POE 

Removal Of Conditions

29 minutes ago, heyusa said:

I agree, read this for example: CR1/IR1 guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

And when you've sent your I-130 and the required documents to the USCIS, it will be a while until you can send the rest of the documents (NVC phase) in, but after you get the NOA 1(Notice of Action from the Service Center you will be assigned to), you may start preparing by reading the guide for the NVC and gathering the necessary documents. NVC wiki: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Okay, thank you. I've found the guidelines and they are quite helpful. One last question though, for number 45 when it asks if my spouse has ever been in the US I say yes because he has. But then it asks me to write down the I-94 information is he is still in the US but he is not. So should I just write n/a? It asks his date of arrival and all that, but I don't know if that just pertains to if he is still over there. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, christine55 said:

Okay, thank you. I've found the guidelines and they are quite helpful. One last question though, for number 45 when it asks if my spouse has ever been in the US I say yes because he has. But then it asks me to write down the I-94 information is he is still in the US but he is not. So should I just write n/a? It asks his date of arrival and all that, but I don't know if that just pertains to if he is still over there. 

if he isn't there, then this question does not apply

TIMELINE

USCIS Phase

NVC Phase

6 May - DS-260 Completed

15 May - Scan date

08 August - Medical

18 August - VISA ISSUED

18 September, 2017 - POE 

Removal Of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.