mwinburn

Canadian Credit for the US petitioner

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, I see this question asked a lot for the fiance obtaining credit in the US, but I can't seem to find anyone asking much about going the other direction.

In the short term, my fiance will be coming here, and I will simply add her as an authorized user on my cards. On any big purchases like cars or houses, I will apply for them directly since I have a long and good credit history here. However, at some point in the future we may move back there, where I have zero credit and she has limited credit.

So, I'd like to start building credit in Canada while she is building credit in the states. I asked RBC, since I already have a checking account with them, and they recommended I open a Zellers card or something similar. The problem with that is I'm never up there to even make charges on it. I suppose I could get my fiance to start using it on my behalf and I'd just pay it, but is there a better way?

Has anyone done this or have any ideas how to do it? I don't need CDN credit to be super anytime soon, so this would be a multi-year strategy.

04/04/07 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority Mail

04/09/07 - Petition Delivered to TSC

04/13/07 - NOA1

04/18/07 - Check Cashed

08/06/07 - NOA2

09/05/07 - Packet 3 Arrives

09/12/07 - Packet 3 Returned

11/24/07 - Packet 4 Received

02/13/08 - Interview

02/20/08 - Approved

04/27/08 - POE @ Detroit

05/20/08 - Married

06/25/08 - Filed I-485/EAD/AP

09/03/08 - EAD Approved

09/08/08 - AP Approved

09/16/08 - I-485 Approved

Next Step: I-751

Good thing to think about, I should be doing the same thing. The alternative is, maybe, that a big bank like Chase or something may allow you to get a mortgage for property outside of the US, but I'm not sure.

Adjustment of Status / EAD / AP
Day 000: 2007-12-27 Mailed Application
Day 002: 2007-12-29 Received at Chicago Lockbox
Day 003: 2007-12-30 "Received Date"
Day 007: 2008-01-03 All 5 NOAs (K1 + K2 AOS, K1 EAD, K1 + K2 AP)
Day 008: 2008-01-04 K-2 AOS Touched
Day 011: 2008-01-07 $1610 Check cleared
Day 011: 2008-01-07 All 5 physical NOAs received
Day 012: 2008-01-08 K-1 files Touched, but not K-2
Day 014: 2008-01-10 K-2 AP Touched
Day 016: 2008-01-12 Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
Day 029: 2008-01-25 Biometrics Appt.
Day 043: 2008-02-08 K-2 Notice of interview received
Day 044: 2008-02-09 K-1 Notice of interview received
Day 056: 2008-02-21 APs approved and EAD card production ordered
Day 126: 2008-05-01 Interviews
-----------------------------------------------------------
K1/K2 Application
Day 000: 2007-03-16 Sent out I-129F Package
Day 012: 2007-03-28 NOA1
Day 082: 2007-06-06 NOA2
Day 103: 2007-06-27 NVC Received
Day 105: 2007-06-29 NVC Forwarded to Montreal
Day 117: 2007-07-11 Montreal Sends Packet 3
Day 125: 2007-07-19 Receive Packet 3
Day 129: 2007-07-23 Send Checklist and Forms Back
Day 131: 2007-07-25 Montreal Receives Packet 3
Day 137: 2007-07-31 Medical
Day 169: 2007-09-01 "Wedding" (aka the $10K party)
Day 192: 2007-09-24 Receive "Packet 4" (Interview letter)
Day 238: 2007-11-09 Interview in Montreal
Day 245: 2007-11-16 Visas Received
Day 248: 2007-11-19 Moved to USA
Day 249: 2007-11-20 Legal wedding

Timeline

Yep, that's exactly why I'm asking - property. I could simply use my US credit cards up there for most things, but for a house I'd need a loan and credit to back it!

04/13/07 - NOA1

04/18/07 - Check Cashed

08/06/07 - NOA2

02/13/08 - Interview

02/20/08 - Approved

04/27/08 - POE @ Detroit

05/20/08 - Married

09/03/08 - EAD Approved

09/08/08 - AP Approved

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmm....something to think about. We plan on moving back to Nova Scotia in the future and I'd never even thought about this. You'd think I would have seeing how hard it is for my husband to get his credit established here in the States. If he has an account with RBC, like a credit card and bank account, can he add me to it there and have a credit card issued to me? We would only use it when we're home in NS and could probably use his bank account to eventually secure a loan for property.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband added me to his RBC checking and visa using my social security number and Michigan drivers license. Took a bit of doing but we got it done.This summer we're going to begin our property search in Nova Scotia. What we plan to do is buy vacant property and pay for it and then eventually, when we move back, build a house.He'll have Canadian income from his CF pension so we're hoping that makes it easier for us. My only concern is how both govt's will view his residency status. Will having accounts in canada threaten his LPR status? Will having accounts and property in Canada make him a deemed resident in the eyes the CRA? Guess we'll see and then make the appropriate adjustments if and when the situation calls for it.

google.gif

Please read this article posted by fellow journeyor Colin Wilson. Interesting implications for Canadians going south.

http://www.americanlaw.com/ustxperm.html

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Timeline
Please read this article posted by fellow journeyor Colin Wilson. Interesting implications for Canadians going south.

http://www.americanlaw.com/ustxperm.html

Good article, lots of good information but nothing to do with the topic at hand. On another forum I read (Serbinski's) someone posted a reply to me about this very thing...US citizen going to Canada with their spouse. This is what was posted:

"Basically, at about a year or so before you are ready to move, your husband and you will fill out paperwork to get you into Canada as a permanent resident. They have changed the paperwork so that now you have to CLEARLY PROVE your intent to move back to Canada - so you have to show something like a signed lease on a NS property, or a job offer, school admissions etc.

Anyway, you fill in the application and send them to Buffalo.Buffalo will let you know if you fulfill the requirements and then forward to CSC for the "final determination". Once they approve the application, you just land up in Nova Scotia - pretty simple, except for the proving intent part, which is hard to plan since you don't want to sign a lease six months before your move, when the actual approval might come a year later!

You can do a medical check (around US $400) before you send in your paperwork, or wait till they ask you to go in for your medicals - they are valid for a year.

You can find all the forms, paperwork needed etc. in the CIC website. They will also tell you how long it currently takes for them to process the application."

Fulfill the requirements?? Sounds like it won't be so easy even though I am married to a Canadian Citizen. Not that I think I should be granted PR on that basis alone, but fulfilling requirements? Sounds like Canada doesn't let just anyone in to apply for PR status. We do intend to purchase land in NS so that would be the proof they need that we intend to live there. ARGH! Why must everything like this be so dam hard! :girlwerewolf2xn:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I belive JerseyGirl ahd a problem with Serbinski!! She had her taxes complted with them awhile back, and when she got audited, Sebrinski was no where to be found!! And YES I posted their linkon VJ many of a times!!! And this year I used my inlaws tax accountant (wife bday present) to do our USA taxes!! Why?? I took out RRSP's in 2006!! And was not certian how to do decalre it !! I had filed form 8891 to defer the tax on the RRSP's!! To be honest I have no clue (hey,I'm a guy) onhow to properly report the incoem fromther RRSP's to IRS!! My inlaws accouinting firm spent many an hour on how to do it!! (not at my expense,ty mother in law) and long story short, they disagreed with what "nelsona" had been posting on Sebrinski forum!!! So one can't go what that forum states, yes I'm sure there is good info on there, but like all forums (as well as wikipedia) it is not an accurate place to get info!! Just my 2 cents.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes, well it took a LONG time before anyone would even post an answer to my query. We've got a while yet before we'll be able to move to NS. I just wanted to read up on what I have to do and what my husband does to petition (if that's the right term) for me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Instead of a Zellars Card, get a CDN Sears card. You can make purchases here in the US with it but not payments (last time i tried to make a CDN Sears card payment in a US Sears store it was refused - 1999). Anyway, that is a card that is useable on both sides!! I use my CDN one here no problems at all.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Has anyone done this or have any ideas how to do it? I don't need CDN credit to be super anytime soon, so this would be a multi-year strategy.

Will you start building credit if she adds you to her Canadian Visa card? I added my husband to my Royal Bank Visa card a couple of years ago. They sent him a form in the mail to sign and return. We use it when we're on holidays, and I use it a lot when I'm working in Canada.

Timeline

Will you start building credit if she adds you to her Canadian Visa card? I added my husband to my Royal Bank Visa card a couple of years ago. They sent him a form in the mail to sign and return. We use it when we're on holidays, and I use it a lot when I'm working in Canada.

That's not really that feasible for us right now. But maybe in a few years it might be possible.

04/13/07 - NOA1

04/18/07 - Check Cashed

08/06/07 - NOA2

02/13/08 - Interview

02/20/08 - Approved

04/27/08 - POE @ Detroit

05/20/08 - Married

09/03/08 - EAD Approved

09/08/08 - AP Approved

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That's not really that feasible for us right now. But maybe in a few years it might be possible.

I heard if you become a Canadian citizen they'll give you a credit card and a full credit history just for joining ........hey may be rumor but ya never know ;)

ok ok Ive had too much sugar.......i'll behave now :D

google.gif

Timeline

I have credit on Canada... we did the same thing, we applied for a couple of credit cards (TD and CIBC Visas) in Canada with my wife and included my US income... They had no problem approving us.. for a relatively small credit limit though...

I belive JerseyGirl ahd a problem with Serbinski!! She had her taxes complted with them awhile back, and when she got audited, Sebrinski was no where to be found!! And YES I posted their linkon VJ many of a times!!! And this year I used my inlaws tax accountant (wife bday present) to do our USA taxes!! Why?? I took out RRSP's in 2006!! And was not certian how to do decalre it !! I had filed form 8891 to defer the tax on the RRSP's!! To be honest I have no clue (hey,I'm a guy) onhow to properly report the incoem fromther RRSP's to IRS!! My inlaws accouinting firm spent many an hour on how to do it!! (not at my expense,ty mother in law) and long story short, they disagreed with what "nelsona" had been posting on Sebrinski forum!!! So one can't go what that forum states, yes I'm sure there is good info on there, but like all forums (as well as wikipedia) it is not an accurate place to get info!! Just my 2 cents.

Flames..

You report your distribution from your RRSP on the 8891 and transfer it to the pension line on the 1040 with it being fully taxable... Pretty easy actually..

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Karen - after all you and Joel went through, you're going to turn around and go back to Canada? :) :)

Well, if nothing else, I can tell you that sponsoring your spouse into Canada is a cakewalk compared to doing it in the US. No interminable delays, no interviews, no BS, just some paperwork, and you can do it from within Canada if you like.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.