abeeku16

CUBA- Documents to Get marry in Cuba

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I am going through the same process right now. After each document from vital statistics or the courthouse is received you have to send them to the Secretary of State for authentication and then the Department of State for further authentication before sending to the Cuban embassy in Washington DC for legalization. The translated docs also must be sent for legalization with a fee for each of those also. I sent mine off two weeks ago with return postage paid express mail and am waiting. 

14 minutes ago, Raulandlisa said:

I am going through the same process right now. After each document from vital statistics or the courthouse is received you have to send them to the Secretary of State for authentication and then the Department of State for further authentication before sending to the Cuban embassy in Washington DC for legalization. The translated docs also must be sent for legalization with a fee for each of those also. I sent mine off two weeks ago with return postage paid express mail and am waiting. 

So the secretary of state is obviously my home state and then I have to send them off to a department of state? Should I wait until I have translated copies? Do i submit both English and Spanish copies to the Cuban embassy? Thank you for your quick response. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

You have to have translations of all your documents and the translations have to be certified. You will need to send English and Spanish copies to the embassy, they will charge $140 for each document, including the separate translations 

3 minutes ago, TatiyPablo said:

You have to have translations of all your documents and the translations have to be certified. You will need to send English and Spanish copies to the embassy, they will charge $140 for each document, including the separate translations 

Do both English and Spanish versions have to be certified by my state? Any recommendations for a translation service? Thank you 

Timeline
Just now, Cedars1974 said:

Do both English and Spanish versions have to be certified by my state? Any recommendations for a translation service? Thank you 

Yep all have to be certified, I suggest going to a lawyer who's also a notary and ideally a Spanish translator, they can help you along the way and can legalize each piece. Or search on Google for certified translators/notaries in your city. This process is confusing and overly bureaucratic so it helps to have it done with one person. I don't recommend using one of those appellate services, though. they usually overcharge for work that you can do yourself with a little effort. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, TatiyPablo said:

Yep all have to be certified, I suggest going to a lawyer who's also a notary and ideally a Spanish translator, they can help you along the way and can legalize each piece. Or search on Google for certified translators/notaries in your city. This process is confusing and overly bureaucratic so it helps to have it done with one person. I don't recommend using one of those appellate services, though. they usually overcharge for work that you can do yourself with a little effort. 

Sorry apostille service!

So let's see if I have this all correct

1. Certified divorce papers, single status affidavit and birth certificate all translated to Spanish. 

2. All 6b of these new documents sent to the state apostille for certification.

3. All 6 documents sent to the federal apostille service for certification.

4. All 6 of these documents sent to the Cuban embassy with a money order for $840 and a self addressed envelope for return shipping. 

Once received back from Cuban embassy I am all set to take all of these documents with me to Havana to get my wedding license. 

Did I miss anything?

Thank you all so much for this help. You have been lifesavers. 

Ramze

Timeline

I'm about to lose my SH!?@. My docs just returned from Cuban embassy without processing or explanation of what I did wrong. I'm so exhausted I don't know if I can keep going and I'm so darn mad. If anyone can help, I've tried contacting the embassy they won't answer, return voice message nor emails. I live in Fl or else I would be there already this am.  

Timeline
11 hours ago, Cedars1974 said:

So let's see if I have this all correct

1. Certified divorce papers, single status affidavit and birth certificate all translated to Spanish. 

2. All 6b of these new documents sent to the state apostille for certification.

3. All 6 documents sent to the federal apostille service for certification.

4. All 6 of these documents sent to the Cuban embassy with a money order for $840 and a self addressed envelope for return shipping. 

Once received back from Cuban embassy I am all set to take all of these documents with me to Havana to get my wedding license. 

Did I miss anything?

Thank you all so much for this help. You have been lifesavers. 

Ramze

Make sure you tell Sec of State and Dept of state docs are intended for Cuba. Cuba is not a member of The Hague convention, so docs will be authenticated and legalized but not apostled. I didn't do single status because I am divorced. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think single status is for never married. 

6 hours ago, Raulandlisa said:

I'm about to lose my SH!?@. My docs just returned from Cuban embassy without processing or explanation of what I did wrong. I'm so exhausted I don't know if I can keep going and I'm so darn mad. If anyone can help, I've tried contacting the embassy they won't answer, return voice message nor emails. I live in Fl or else I would be there already this am.  

Hey man sorry to hear that. What did you do different from what I listed above? Maybe we can figure it out together and see what we might be missing. 

Timeline

Ceders1974, I followed all these directions that's why I'm at a loss. And again no explanation except something written on front of envelope which I can't make out. I posted a pic on my page, maybe you can understand it. Still no sucess at contacting them either. Their email posted is invalid and I've been leaving messages for months. If you look at their reviews it seems to be SOP (standard operating procedure for them). Money orders were USPS. I don't know what I missed. Thinking about flying there from Fl , but It's a lot of time and money that I don't have. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Raulandlisa said:

Ceders1974, I followed all these directions that's why I'm at a loss. And again no explanation except something written on front of envelope which I can't make out. I posted a pic on my page, maybe you can understand it. Still no sucess at contacting them either. Their email posted is invalid and I've been leaving messages for months. If you look at their reviews it seems to be SOP (standard operating procedure for them). Money orders were USPS. I don't know what I missed. Thinking about flying there from Fl , but It's a lot of time and money that I don't have. 

I'm trying to make it out for you.. It's something por agencia... by agency.. I'm not sure what the first word is...

K-1 Visa

03/20/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
03/21/17 - Delivered at Lewisville, TX

03/24/17 - Check cashed
03/27/17 - NOA1 Text and Email. (Notice Date)
03/31/17 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
07/13/17- NOA2 Notice Date
07/17/17 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received 

07/28/17 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
08/04/17 - Case Number Received by NVC Letter (Hard Copy)

09/29/17 - US Embassy in Havana no longer processing visa's

11/07/2017 - Transferred Case to Buenos Aires, Argentina

11/07/2017 - Received Packet 3 from BNS

12/04/17 - Medical

12/20/17 - Sent Packet 3 Docs back to Embassy

01/10/18 - Received Interview Date Email
01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Visa in Hand =)
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

Timeline

@Raulandlisa I am so sorry for your troubles, please stay strong I know this is really difficult. I think the reason they were turned back is because of the single certificate. I remember speaking with a lawyer in Cuba about all the documents they require, and they say even if you're divorced you need a single certificate in addition to your divorce certificate and birth certificate. Maybe this can be an easy fix? Have you heard anymore from them? So sorry again wishing you the best in these trying times!!

Timeline

I just got back from a trip to Washington. (It was not because of the single status that they returned them They don't care what docs you want legalized only that they have been through the authentication process). And before going I had an agency tell me they had raised their fee to $300 per document ( not the case). The problem was I included a fee for the translated docs and she said I wasn't supposed to that they didn't charge for those.   I'm back with my docs legalized and I'm On my way to get married to the love of my life. I still have hope ! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.