abeeku16

CUBA- Documents to Get marry in Cuba

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

It depends if you're single or divorced. They must be legalized by the state in which they were issued, translated and the translation legalized, and then legalized by US dept of state, before getting legalized at the embassy in washington.

Filed: Country: Cuba
Timeline

Ok, I am a USA Citizen, and My goal is to get married in Cuba to a Cuban citizen.

I have the following documents

- Single Status Affidavit in English and Spanish translation

- Birth Certificate in English and Spanish Tranlation 

Those four documents have been legalized by the Secretary of State and authenicated by US Department of State in Washington, DC. 

Is there anything that I'm lacking before I take all four of those dcouments to the Cuban embassy so they can legalize them?

How long does it take them to legalize it?

How much does it cost?

Thank you sooo much

Timeline

Wonderful! You are almost there, and congrats because I know the process is long and difficult. :) You can mail them to the Embassy and I believe you have to pay with a money order. Or of course drop it off at the Embassy. I believe it's $140/document, so $560 in total. The time depends on where you live. If you are in DC, only a few days, but of course if you are mailing, I would include and express return form to ensure its faster. Remember, make sure the translation is legalized as well.

Filed: Country: Cuba
Timeline

TY,

OK my translated birth certificate and single single affidavit are BOTH legalized by the Secretary of State and authenticated by the US department of State in Washington DC as well. The company that translated my documents also gave me a "paper" verifying that my tranlated documents ( birth certificate and single single affidavit ) is an official translation. Do you advise me to send paper to the Cuban embassy as well, or does the fact that my translated documents are ALREADY legalized by the secretary of state and the US department of state in WAshinton DC prove that it is an official translation? If so does this count as an additional document or just "proof of and official translation?

Also, after I send the documents to the Cuban embassy, are they going to send me a marriage liscense to get married in cuba? Are they going to send a marriage liscence to my girlfriend in Cuba as well? You said it may take a week to legalize it at the cuban embassy but How long would it take until I will be able to actually "go to cuba and marry?"   

TY

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

When I married my husband, I was not sent a marriage license from the Cuban Embassy in Washington. I had to go to Cuba, and then we went to a place that was like a courthouse or lawyers office. I had to get our marriage license there. I took all the documents that had been legalized by the Cuban Embassy, and they reviewed them and issued my marriage license. I think that it cost around $700 for us to get the marriage license. Once we had the license we were able to marry within a few days. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline

We had our K-1 interview on the 24th and are heartbroken and devastated, (denied) - No explanation given. We miss each other so much it's just so hard to take.  (We've been engaged since 2012). I've had several visits a year, tons of legit evidence, ....IDK. I just got back from Cuba yesterday and sent off our docs for legalization to cuban embassy in Washington DC. Hard to think straight through the next process (CR-1).  This has been such a long hard road for us. I sent fees, birth cert, divorce decree ( but not marriage ) and translations , all authenticated, and express sase. Anyone else this happen to? 

Timeline

She said I'm NOT going to approve your visa after saying she liked our photos and commented positively on everything.  She then handed us a paper that says there is not evidence of a bonefide relationship. We were the very last to be interviewed. I was and still am dumbfounded. 

Timeline

That's really concerning as some of us haven't been engaged for that long and are taking the same steps for a K1...

What all did you submit as evidence of a bonafide relationship?

K-1 Visa

03/20/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
03/21/17 - Delivered at Lewisville, TX

03/24/17 - Check cashed
03/27/17 - NOA1 Text and Email. (Notice Date)
03/31/17 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
07/13/17- NOA2 Notice Date
07/17/17 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received 

07/28/17 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
08/04/17 - Case Number Received by NVC Letter (Hard Copy)

09/29/17 - US Embassy in Havana no longer processing visa's

11/07/2017 - Transferred Case to Buenos Aires, Argentina

11/07/2017 - Received Packet 3 from BNS

12/04/17 - Medical

12/20/17 - Sent Packet 3 Docs back to Embassy

01/10/18 - Received Interview Date Email
01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Visa in Hand =)
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

Timeline

I had for evidence 40 pages of phone records (submitted the last 12 months and one page for each of the previous years), FB pages, about 30 photos togather with family, at the zoo, at a baptism ceremony (we were the godparents), and trips we had taken togather, New Years party's, ...Also we took a premarital class, showed our rings, I had all my tickets and visas showing 8 trips that were a month or more each for visits, plans and affidavit from priest to marry us.... We also had years of letters he mailed me from Cuba and I mailed him. The people before us didn't come out looking too happy either. It's really sad. But hopefully you can have better luck. I just don't understand the logic. 

Edited by Raulandlisa

Timeline

That's absolutely insane! I'm so sorry that happened to you!

It makes me really nervous now because my fiance and I haven't been together that long (a year in Sept). I've only been to Cuba 2 times (first visit I met him, second I went to go see him and meet his family) and sent in all kind of evidence we're legit, but if you aren't able to get approved after a 5 year engagement it makes me really scared.. It really sucks that we leave this into a stranger's hands that know nothing about us and if their having a bad day or their boss pissed them off that day they can take it out on us without any recourse.

I wonder if you're able to dispute the decision.

K-1 Visa

03/20/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
03/21/17 - Delivered at Lewisville, TX

03/24/17 - Check cashed
03/27/17 - NOA1 Text and Email. (Notice Date)
03/31/17 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
07/13/17- NOA2 Notice Date
07/17/17 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received 

07/28/17 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
08/04/17 - Case Number Received by NVC Letter (Hard Copy)

09/29/17 - US Embassy in Havana no longer processing visa's

11/07/2017 - Transferred Case to Buenos Aires, Argentina

11/07/2017 - Received Packet 3 from BNS

12/04/17 - Medical

12/20/17 - Sent Packet 3 Docs back to Embassy

01/10/18 - Received Interview Date Email
01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Visa in Hand =)
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

This has been a very helpful site so far. As you all know there is so little information available out there. I am engaged to a Cuba woman. I have been spending half the year in Havana for the last 7 years. I am just now trying to figure out how to get all my papers in order for us to marry in Havana in September. Can someone tell me if i am going down the right path?

I have a certified copy of my divorce papers issued by the courthouse in my state. 

I have my birth certificate in hand

I am still trying to understand this single affidavit thing (help please if you know of a service or a step by step guide to this)

2 questions.

1. Can anybody recommend an approved translation service?

2. Am I missing anything? Do I just send those documents and $420 ($140x3) to the Cuban embassy in Washington with a prepaid express envelope for return when I have finished having them translated? 

Thank you in advance for any help

Ramze

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.