Alexi102000

Getting a Texas Driver's License during AOS

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My understanding is that she needs and EAD card for identification purposes. Is she able to take the written and driving test prior to receiving the EAD card? 

We have filed for AOS (K-1 Visa) along with the EAD/travel permit. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just wanted to give a status update. She took an online course to take care of the written part of the driving exam and to get her driving/learning permit. We received a voucher and went to the drivers license office today. 

They asked for her Vietnamese Passport and two documents for proof of address (we used the I-485 confirmation and a utility bill). Since her Vietnamese passport and K-1 Visa had her name using the Vietnamese style (MIDDLENAME proceeding the FIRSTNAME), they would only consider her MIDDLENAME as her first name. Of course when they ran this through homeland security, it was rejected and they said we would receive something in the mail with the next steps within 10 business days. 

This has been a pretty frustrating experiencing so far. May need to wait until the EAD card after all. 

On 3/1/2017 at 4:53 PM, Alexi102000 said:

Since her Vietnamese passport and K-1 Visa had her name using the Vietnamese style (MIDDLENAME proceeding the FIRSTNAME), they would only consider her MIDDLENAME as her first name.

I had the same problem as well. And I have to go to Custom and Border ( that where I 94 issue) to fix the first name. All I need is just provide them the NOA2 and other form from Vietnam consulate that show her correct name to fix that. That fix on their system in 5' and everything back to normal for me now. I definitely dont want her middle name become first name since it will cost lot of problem in future. For driver license, in Colorado, they need EAD in order to issue my wife learning permit. We still waiting for our interview to be scheduled

N400 (Open window 1/24/2020)

03/03/2020: online submitted N400 application

ROC I-751 (Open window 1/24/2019)

03/11/19: I751 sent to Phoenix, AZ.

03/12/19: Package delivered and signed for

03/19/19: The check was cashed. Text message was received couple hours later (#LIN)

03/22/19: Received NOA/18 months extended letter for GC

9/14/19: Biometrics letter received in the mailbox. Appointment is on Sep 25,2019

1/24/2020:  "New card is being produced"

AOS for K1

07/07/16: I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application sent to USCIS Chicago IL.

07/08/16: Package delivered

7/12/16: Electronic texts & email receiveds

7/15/16: 3 Hardcopy NOA1s received in the mailbox with dated July 11,2016

7/23/16: Biometrics letter received in the mailbox. Appointment is on Aug 4,2016

8/4/16: BIO is done at Denver USCIS support center

8/17/16: I485 changed to "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview" When????

9/12/16: EAD/AP status changed to New card is being produced ---> then EAD/AP approved same day

9/16/16: EAD/AP Hard copy approval notices received. Card was mailed to me

9/23/16: EAD/AP combo card received

Aos interview 4/24/2017 --> approved on the spot. GC expire 4/24/2019

K-1 Journey:

1/18/16: I-129F Package sent via FedEx to Lewisville, TX

1/20/16: I-129F Package delivered

1/21/16: Electronic text & email received

1/22/16: NOA1 notice date (routed to CSC)

1/29/16: Hardcopy NOA1 received in the mailbox.

3/18/16: NOA2 received via text and email :dancing: :dancing:

4/6/16: NVC received

6/2/16: Interview day -->> Approved

6/12/16: Entered USA (POE Dallas/Texas)

6/14/16: Obtained marriage license at local COS office. 

Timeline
On 3/3/2017 at 10:05 AM, ken88 said:

I had the same problem as well. And I have to go to Custom and Border ( that where I 94 issue) to fix the first name. All I need is just provide them the NOA2 and other form from Vietnam consulate that show her correct name to fix that. That fix on their system in 5' and everything back to normal for me now. I definitely dont want her middle name become first name since it will cost lot of problem in future. For driver license, in Colorado, they need EAD in order to issue my wife learning permit. We still waiting for our interview to be scheduled

Thanks, this is very helpful. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/2/2017 at 6:53 AM, Alexi102000 said:

Just wanted to give a status update. She took an online course to take care of the written part of the driving exam and to get her driving/learning permit. We received a voucher and went to the drivers license office today. 

They asked for her Vietnamese Passport and two documents for proof of address (we used the I-485 confirmation and a utility bill). Since her Vietnamese passport and K-1 Visa had her name using the Vietnamese style (MIDDLENAME proceeding the FIRSTNAME), they would only consider her MIDDLENAME as her first name. Of course when they ran this through homeland security, it was rejected and they said we would receive something in the mail with the next steps within 10 business days. 

This has been a pretty frustrating experiencing so far. May need to wait until the EAD card after all. 

Hi,

It has been more than 10 business days. Did you get the mail with the next steps?

Timeline
11 hours ago, illidanx said:

Hi,

It has been more than 10 business days. Did you get the mail with the next steps?

We got the mail and and it said she passed the background screening. We brought this letter + her newly received EAD card to the DMV. Since her EAD card had her name in the correct order, they were able to fix her name order on her license (EAD counts as a primary document). 

If we didn't get her EAD card, they would have issued a drivers license with her name in the wrong order. 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Alexi102000 said:

We got the mail and and it said she passed the background screening. We brought this letter + her newly received EAD card to the DMV. Since her EAD card had her name in the correct order, they were able to fix her name order on her license (EAD counts as a primary document). 

If we didn't get her EAD card, they would have issued a drivers license with her name in the wrong order. 

Thank you for your prompt reply.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just some insight into the situation here if anyone is interested. For Vietnamese, the immigration data is like this: last name is last name, no middle name, first name is all middle name + the actual first name. So you end up with a double or triple first name in the immigration system. 

@Alexi102000doesn't Texas DMV accept double first name? I think she should the immigration check right away if they entered both her middle and her first names in the first name field.

Timeline
15 hours ago, illidanx said:

Just some insight into the situation here if anyone is interested. For Vietnamese, the immigration data is like this: last name is last name, no middle name, first name is all middle name + the actual first name. So you end up with a double or triple first name in the immigration system. 

@Alexi102000doesn't Texas DMV accept double first name? I think she should the immigration check right away if they entered both her middle and her first names in the first name field.

Let's assume the following:

- First name: Linh

- Middle Name: Thi

- Last Name: Nguyen

Her name as it appears on her passport would be: Nguyen Thi Linh

The issue with this is that Texas DMV considers her first name as "Thi Linh" (when it should be "Linh Thi"). They would not change the name order. When we applied for AOS and an EAD/Travel card, they were able to fix this. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.