Jump to content

Taxes - Self employ - Canadian employer

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm about to do my first year in USA taxes and need lots of advice!


I'm a canadian with US perm resident status and have a SSN.  I arrived usa in febuary 2016 and basically worked the january in canada as a contractor (self employed) then continued to work for the canadian company (after receiving my SSN) in febuary in the usa.  This is how I think I should do my taxes:

1. File canadian tax for Jan only ?

2. File USA tax for the entire 2016 JAN to DEC.  And write a letter to IRS informing them my status and the month I worked in canada.


More questions:

3. I didn't register a business (sole proprietor), do I need to to file self employment taxes?  


Any advice is appreciated thanks!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.