simpl_

Traveling on AP with chance of GC approval

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

We just had our PR/Green Card interview on November 22nd. During the interview, the officer said that the medical was expired, so we sent that and it was receive Dec 1st. I have a feeling that the interview went well, as my I-130 was approved and she said all we should need is an updated medical I-693, so I'm really hoping that we get the GC approval sometime in the next week.

Currently my wife has AP and we were planning on traveling over the Xmas break as my grandfather recently passed away - but she would be gone a little longer through Jan 13 but I have to come back earlier for work. I have two questions, sort of related to each other.

1) If the GC is approved prior to her leaving, is it OK for me to Fedex it to her overnight when I get back? Assuming it has been mailed by then (first week of January.)

2) What happens if she leaves on AP, and the GC is approved while she it out of the country (say, early Jan), and I don't receive the GC in time to send back to her? In my head, it would seem like she is technically allowed to travel the whole time - AP to GC, but she might come back and have the wrong paperwork when she gets to the people in the US airport?

Also, I don't know if getting the I-551 stamp is possible without an Infopass appointment. Assuming we get the GC authorization this week, we both have next week Monday off and could literally go to the office and sit there all day if we had to, is that allowed? I have been continuously checking the Houston office and there is nothing available...

October 7, 2015: Sent AOS Pack
October 15, 2015: NOA1
October 29, 2015: RFE (due to wanting more info regarding tax returns)
November 5, 2015: Biometrics taken
November 17, 2015: RFE Response Received by USCIS
November 23, 2015: Filed for Expedite EAD/AP
December 2, 2016: Approved EAD/AP
December 8, 2015: Received EAD/AP
Sept 26, 2016: USCIS received renewal for EAD/AP

Oct 19, 2016: Interview scheduled for Nov 22, 2016

Nov 22, 2016: Interview - went well but RFE for an updated medical I-693

Dec 1, 2016: USCIS received the new medical I-693

If she leaves on AP, she'll come back on the same AP. They might say "hey, you got your green card, congrats" when she comes back in, though I'm not sure that the entry point's system is that smart. She's legal...that CIS changes her status while she's out of the country is not a problem. I don't see them stopping her because her status changed...they understand how the system works.

As for showing up at the CIS office without an appointment, I'll leave that to someone who experienced it. The times I went, they made me prove I had an appointment before I was allowed into the waiting area. I never tried going without an appointment.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I thought it should be ok for the same reasons given, just wondering if anyone else might have experienced the same. My wife did say that one time when they were entering her AP paperwork, that they mentioned they looked up the Houston office and the GC's were pretty delayed (this was this past July).

As for showing up at the CIS office without an appointment, I'll leave that to someone who experienced it. The times I went, they made me prove I had an appointment before I was allowed into the waiting area. I never tried going without an appointment.

I'm hoping that we can get in if we have to. I know the Houston office has all the paperwork they need to finish the GC, so I'm just wondering if it's worth going and sitting there until someone pulls up our case. The lady at the front when we went in last time just asked "Do you have an appointment?" and looked at our interview notice, and then told us to check in with a certain lady at reception. I don't know if they wouldn't let someone in without an appointment though...

October 7, 2015: Sent AOS Pack
October 15, 2015: NOA1
October 29, 2015: RFE (due to wanting more info regarding tax returns)
November 5, 2015: Biometrics taken
November 17, 2015: RFE Response Received by USCIS
November 23, 2015: Filed for Expedite EAD/AP
December 2, 2016: Approved EAD/AP
December 8, 2015: Received EAD/AP
Sept 26, 2016: USCIS received renewal for EAD/AP

Oct 19, 2016: Interview scheduled for Nov 22, 2016

Nov 22, 2016: Interview - went well but RFE for an updated medical I-693

Dec 1, 2016: USCIS received the new medical I-693

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.