lorraTB

Applying for a driving license in South Carolina

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

More of a moan than anything.

I've just received my EAD in the post this week. So i though "great I can apply for a license."

Er No. I can apply for a beginner's permit. "No problem, I'll soon take my test and pass. I've been driving 20 years."

Er No. You have to hold a beginner's permit for 180 days before you can take a test in South Carolina.

I want to cry. Without being able to drive, my chances of actually being able to use my EAD and get a job are pretty slim. There's virtually no public transport.

Am I right? Please someone who's done it, say I'm reading it wrong? Pretty Please!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Check out this site and scroll down. My reading of the text is that you need one or the other. If you have a license from your country of origin, you may not need it.

You DO have to take the knowledge and driving tests and obtain and hold a beginner permit for 180 days IF one of the following applies to you:

• You cannot present a valid driver license from your home country.
  • Your home country does not have formally established reciprocity with the United States

The way I read the above is that, if you have valid driver license from your home country, you don't need to hold that beginner's permit. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping I'm right for your sake!

http://www.dmv.org/sc-south-carolina/apply-license.php

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for your reply. I rang the DMV, and the nice woman was very apologetic, and said yes i need a beginner's permit...

She said this part of the rules is what applies: http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/default.aspx?n=initial_driver_license

and it says that to apply for a driver license for the first time you need to have held a beginner's permit for 180 days.

It possibly depends on whether they consider that I'm applying for a new license or a renewal. I'm hoping someone who's been here and applied can help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.