Laleh

Do translations need to be notarized?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Tajikistan
Timeline

I've been seeing conflicting information on the different websites in regards to translations.

Some websites say translations of documents need to be notarized.

Some say they don't, just that the translator needs to be qualified (I've seen the statement they need to include in the translation in other posts; I've bookmarked them for later reference), and that it can be done by anyone who is fluent in both languages.

Some say that the translations need to be notarized if they are done outside the U.S. (we live in Czech Republic, and the documents need to be translated from Russian to English).

Which one is it? Thanks for your time, and sorry for bringing up a topic that's probably been discussed before. I just want to double and triple check before we do anything. I'm sure you understand!

My husband translated some of the documents himself. For the fiance visa, he had some of the documents translated and certified but it was so expensive. So, for the adjustment of status, he translated the documents himself and signed an affidavit (found example online, maybe even here) that said he is fluent in both languages and stapled it to the translated documents.

Removal of Conditions

Sept 24 2016 - resent packet (1st attempt arrived 2 days too early due to miscalculation of 90 days)

AOS Timeline

8/9/14- Mailed I-485/131/765 (took a long time to get our Marriage Certificate)

8/15/14- notified via text and email that application was accepted on 8/12 and being processed.

9/8/14- Biometric done; 11/5/14- EAD/I-131 Approved/Card Production

11/5/14- AOS moved to testing/interview; 11/13/14- EAD/AP Combo card REC'D

12/16/14- AOS Interview- APPROVED! 1/3/15- Green card approved.

K1 Timeline

8/16/2013 I-129F Sent via UPS to Lewisville, TX 9/25/2013 Hard copy of NOA 2 received dancin5hr.gif

8/19/2013 I-129F CSC Received 10/29/2013 Got email from NVC with case number (NVC rec'd)

8/20/2013 NOA1 10/30/2013 Left NVC

8/22/2013 Notice that Alien Registration Number was changed 11/04/2013 Consulate Rec'd

8/26/2013 NOA1 Received by mail 11/12/2013 Packet 3 rec'd

9/20/2013 Email notice of NOA2 (31 days)

02/04/2014 After many months of waiting and frustration, FI finally got his birth certificate, passport and police clearance from his home country and we received an SMS today stating that his SA Police Clearance was finalized.

02/18/14 Police Clearance rec'd

2/20/14- Second packet 3 sent to consulate

2/27/14 Followed up with Consulate to get interview date. They schedule an interview for 2/20 when he submitted the application of readiness (what we had to do to extend his NOA2) on 1/21, but they didn't notify us of that appointment, so we missed it.

3/27/14- Interview- APPROVED!!!

4/10/14- FI entered US via LAX and flew to SF 6/14/14- Civil Ceremony

Each embassy is different. Some require translations to be notarised, others don't.

I would follow your embassy's instructions (I am assuming he will be interviewing in Prague):

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/PRG%20-%20Prague.pdf

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Tajikistan
Timeline

Thanks! I asked someone at the embassy once (was emailing about another question) and this was the response:

All documents issued by Czech authorities need not be translated, all other documents must be translated into English by a qualified translator.

(I guess qualified doesn't have to mean notarized, but I was embarrassed to reply and ask for clarification)

And on the PDF you linked, it just says "translations," nothing about notarization.

I think I'll go ahead and tell my husband to go ahead and start translating them. Both language schools I teach at also offer proofreading in their translation departments, so I think I'll have one of them look it over afterwards and sign that he or she is fluent in both languages and that it is correct (after all, that statement doesn't say that THEY were the ones to translate it). This will be much cheaper than having them do the actual translations.

Edited by Laleh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.