Triake

Can I send my possessions to my fiancee before getting K1 approval?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there,

Looking for some clarification because while the company that is going to be moving my stuff said it was fine. I've been having a look around the forums and seeing people only really ask when they already have authorisation.

We've already applied once and been rejected, we now have a lawyer who has said she doesn't think we'll be rejected again but I have to move houses while I'm here as I rent. I had most of items packed up from the previous filing and haven't unpacked them yet. It is a lot cheaper for me to send my things to the States now and live out of a suitcase in another house while waiting for approval than it would be for me to move everything to another flat (Would also need a bigger flat or storage for my items.) So I'm wondering if what I'm suggesting is even possible. Can I send my things to my fiancee or will I have to pay a large customs and duty for it unless my K1 has been approved?

Thanks for the help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the question, I don't think any visa has any bearing on shipping belongings from a foreign country to the US.

My fiance is British but was living in another European country. Upon his decision to move back to the UK, we decided it was best to skip that extra step and just send most of his belongings to me instead of sending them all to the UK then again to the US. So he shipped his belongings to me before we even began the K1 process. The boxes went through a customs/border process in that other European country, but all they were concerned about were the contents and the value of the contents. They wanted to make sure, essentially, that we weren't shipping items to the US to sell. We had to fill out forms listing the contents, the weight of each item, and the value, and he specified that each item was not new but used. (that process and info on the forms may vary in the UK... I don't know)

So after going through that process, there didn't seem to ever be a point when presenting a US visa would have helped or hampered the shipments.

But again, this was a different European country. Perhaps others can speak directly regarding the UK procedures, but I think it doesn't matter. We will be sending packages soon from the UK to the US upon his visa approval in November, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread just in case there are things we need to know before we proceed with that.

Good luck!

Edited for easier clarification... I need more coffee. XD

Edited by Allison/Robert

~ Allison, the USC

I shipped a load of stuff to the US. I had to fill in forms for US customs, one of which required Social Security Number (I was an intern in US years ago, so actually did have one) or Visa Number. So I could not have completed that without the visa number or social security number.

Without proof that you are emigrating to the US, I assume you may have to pay import duties on the things you are shipping. It'll get there, but it will cost you more.

But you've also mentioned you've been rejected once and have a lawyer involved. I don't know the circumstances, but think about what will happen if you don't get the visa. You may have to (eg) marry and reside elsewhere for a year or so for CR1 process, etc.

Personally I'd wait until you have the visa. Much easier and safer. I got everything packed up and ready, all itemized and all arrangements made with the shipping company (who were excellent and specialize in shipping things around the world for people moving country). They knew my situation, that I was awaiting the visa (not uncommon for them) and we got everything ready to go so that as soon as I had visa we could get moving. In the meantime I had my stuff in a Big yellow storage centre, wasn't very expensive since I'd got rid of all large items (beds, sofas etc) as no point paying to ship them to US - so I only had things like a grandfather clock (sentimental value), a few coffee tables, and several electric guitars.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.