KissesVE

File taxes from abroad or not?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am a US citizen living abroad. I have never filed taxes before, im 19 years old. Im a bit lost when it comes to this. I work but i only earn arround 5 thousand dollars per year. Ive tried to research but couldnt find any thing.

To sponsor my husband i know we will need a co-sponsor and we already have that. My question is when it comes to my part, what should i put on the AOS form I-894 under the income question and tax transcripts?

1-Will i need to file taxes?

2-Will i have to pay any thing?

3-should i write something explaining why i havent filed taxes?

Edited by KissesVE

I-130 Petition Filed From Abroad

August 12-2016 Sent I-130 Petition to Chicago.

August 16-2016 USCIS received I-130, Acceptance notification received by email. Case sent to Nebraska.

February 21-2017 Approved I-130 sent to NVC.

NVC

March 26-2017 Submitted I-864 AOS Email Processing

April 03-2017 Case Complete NVC in 1 week

May 23-2017  Interview Date

May 23-2017 Approved!. Thank GOD!

Timeline

If you make only 5k, you don't have to file a tax return. You can include a brief explanation about this. Answer the questions truthfully.

So my explanation should be something like `` i havent filled taxes because i`ve been living abroad and earning only 5k``

something along those lines a bit more formal, ill try to do it as formal as possible.

For this question on the I-864 -> Have you filed a Federal income tax return for each of the three most recent tax years? I should put No?

August 16-2016 USCIS received I-130, Acceptance notification received by email. Case sent to Nebraska.

NVC

Timeline

In case you've had over 10k dollars at any moment for the past three years in a foreign account you have to inform it to the IRS through FBARs.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/report-of-foreign-bank-and-financial-accounts-fbar

If this doesn't apply to you then just ignore it. It was kind of a problem for me.

good luck

Timeline

If you make only 5k, you don't have to file a tax return. You can include a brief explanation about this. Answer the questions truthfully.

In case you've had over 10k dollars at any moment for the past three years in a foreign account you have to inform it to the IRS through FBARs.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/report-of-foreign-bank-and-financial-accounts-fbar

If this doesn't apply to you then just ignore it. It was kind of a problem for me.

good luck

1. You do not need to file US tax returns since your income is below the amount requiring you to file.

2. No.

3. You need to include a signed statement that your income was below the amount requiring you to file.

4. You will probably need a Joint Sponsor.

Thanks!!

NVC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.