Colada

Has anyone filed for divorce waiver on I-751?

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I'm so glad to find this site and know that I am not alone. I am married to a USC and received my conditional green card. He has been very emotional and psychological abusive towards me. I read that anyone CGC holder can file for divorce waiver once the divorce is finalized. However, has anyone actually done that and is it easy to be approved? I married with good faith and I can easily prove it. However, I am not sure about proving the abuse that he has inflicted on me since it is mainly emotional and sexual. At first, I want to go the counselling and work it out. Unfortunately, I am the only one that is doing all the work and he made me feel guilty. I feel so hopeless in this marriage, but I am hestitate to get a divorce because I am not sure of the outcome.

I'm so heart-broken. Not only that this marriage is not working out and I feel so ashamed to be married to someone who is so cruel to me.

Has anyone in this forum went through the process? either by divorce or abuse waiver? :help: Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Colada

Edited by Colada

I-751 processing time

July 2007 - filed I-751 abuse waiver

Sep 2007 - bio appt

Mar 2008 - approved

I am scared of my husband, but I don't know what to do. I never known that he has anger issue until a few months ago, he just didn't tell me and hide about it when we were dating. I am so scared of the futre, like it is hopeless. Please help

I-751 processing time

Sep 2007 - bio appt

Mar 2008 - approved

Filed: Timeline
Hello All,

I'm so glad to find this site and know that I am not alone. I am married to a USC and received my conditional green card. He has been very emotional and psychological abusive towards me. I read that anyone CGC holder can file for divorce waiver once the divorce is finalized. However, has anyone actually done that and is it easy to be approved? I married with good faith and I can easily prove it. However, I am not sure about proving the abuse that he has inflicted on me since it is mainly emotional and sexual. At first, I want to go the counselling and work it out. Unfortunately, I am the only one that is doing all the work and he made me feel guilty. I feel so hopeless in this marriage, but I am hestitate to get a divorce because I am not sure of the outcome.

I'm so heart-broken. Not only that this marriage is not working out and I feel so ashamed to be married to someone who is so cruel to me.

Has anyone in this forum went through the process? either by divorce or abuse waiver? :help: Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Colada

Colada,

If you have the conditional green card already, you can file for a waiver of the joint requirement to remove conditions, once you are divorced. If you have evidence, documentation of commingling of your finances, and social lives and documentation that shows that you resided together, shared bills, and home address, it is not a requirement that you demonstrate and prove "abuse" to USCIS. It may be the reason you wish to divorce, but the "good faith" marriage grounds for the waiver do not require that you prove that. Good luck!

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

hi Mermaid,

Thank you so much for your respond. I read a lot of your post, you seem to know a lot about the waiver. Did you file it before?

There is one thing I dont' understand. If any divorced person can file for that waiver, why they put the conditional on the green card? I actually know a couple of immigrants that are in a similar situation as me, except that they are not being abused. They are just in a unhappy marriage and not sure how divorce will affect their status.

I am in a delimma. One day I decide to leave him and then the next day I want to stay. The unknown is killing me. I would have been much happier if I hadn't married him. I would still have my job and now I have nothing. Not only that my culture doesn't accept divorce like in the US, it just hard for me to accept that the man I love can be so cruel to me.

Regards,

Colada

I-751 processing time

Sep 2007 - bio appt

Mar 2008 - approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.