Rangm021

Getting Married Name on GC and EAD!?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone! I have a question regarding name changes!

I married my USC husband in November 2015 while I was on OPT. At the time, we weren't sure how we were proceeding with our last name. We sent in the AOS packet on March 31, 2016. By this time, we were unable to change my name at the Social Security office because my Work authorization had recently expired.

At the present moment, it looks like my GC and EAD will definitely have my maiden name. My question is: is there anything I can do at the moment so that the GC and EAD has my married name? Or is it something I'll have to do when I've received The physical cards?

AOS Package Sent: March 30, 2016

AOS Package Received: March 31, 2016

NOA Received by Mail: April 7, 2016

Biometrics Appointment: May 10, 2016

Biometrics Walk-In: May 9, 2016

Interview Scheduled: July 14, 2016

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Rangm

I used my maiden name when we filed for AOS, though by mistake, so we wrote a letter to USCIS and explained the reasons...and got it changed. IT got changed now so ...

Hello AUS2072!

Thank your for your response! I have a few questions for you!

I called USCIS about it and got instructed to write the letter for the local office. I am currently a few days from reaching the two-month mark of sending in my applications.

Do you know if sending them a letter for the name change will slow down the entire process of my applications? At what point in your timeline did you send in your letters? Also, what sorts of documentation did you submit to support the name change?

Thanks in advance for your help!

AOS Package Sent: March 30, 2016

AOS Package Received: March 31, 2016

NOA Received by Mail: April 7, 2016

Biometrics Appointment: May 10, 2016

Biometrics Walk-In: May 9, 2016

Interview Scheduled: July 14, 2016

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Rangm021,

You are very welcome.

I don't think sending it will slow the process down. We sent it pretty much with our RFE or a couple of weeks before... I only sent in a letter and a copy of my SSN card. I only applied for SSN after i got married so it has my married name on there and my maiden surname as my middle name.

I didn't have anything else to support my name change cuz my passport hasn't been changed yet etc. and they already have my marriage certificate so its pretty self explanatory.

I hope it helps.

Hello AUS2072!

Thank your for your response! I have a few questions for you!

I called USCIS about it and got instructed to write the letter for the local office. I am currently a few days from reaching the two-month mark of sending in my applications.

Do you know if sending them a letter for the name change will slow down the entire process of my applications? At what point in your timeline did you send in your letters? Also, what sorts of documentation did you submit to support the name change?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.