4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I hope all your immigration situations are moving along smoothly...

My husband (came on K1) got his AOS interview date in the mail today. I already did some reading on VJ but hope that someone who has recently had an AOS interview could share what the whole experience was like- what did you take, what did they ask for, and most importantly, what did they ask you!

I appreciate your help and wish you all the best of luck!

Naturalization (N-400)

5/17/2010 application sent to Texas Lockbox

5/20/2010 check cashed

5/25/2010 NOA

6/07/2010 biometrics letter received

6/16/2010 biometrics appointment

They will probably start by swearing you in and going through your application, making you answer some questions again (no, Officer, I have never been deported!). Then you will be asked some questions about your relationship (when did you meet for the first time, when did he propose...). If you have any documents with both your names on them - take them. Make a copy of each, just in case the officer wants one for their records. The entire interview probably won't take more than 15 minutes and hopefully at the end of it you will be approved and will get a stamp in your passport.

We took a few photos (old ones, we didn't have any post-wedding ones), statements of our joint bank account, our lease and car loan documents - it was enough.

For example interview questions, look here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ge=exampleq#aos Mind you, AOS interviews for K-1s seem to be much easier than average, so you are unlikely to be grilled to the extent that some were.

Good luck!

Edited by brtlmj

We just had our interview last week--it was so much easier than I had imagined!

The first thing the officer did was swear us in.

The officer asked us how we met and when we decided to get married--he wanted to know the dates too--just month and year, he didn't ask for the exact day.

Then he asked for photos--we brought mostly wedding photos. He asked questions and made comments as he was looking at the photos, but they seemed like the kinds of questions/comments anyone would ask while looking at the photos. Here are some examples:

I see you used a professional photographer. (We didn't, so we explained that a friend took the photos.)

Where is this church? How did you choose this church?

Oh, there is a real organ. I love organ music. (He really did say this!)

As he was looking at the photos I was pointing out members of our families.

Then he asked for some other documents--we gave him copies of a few bank statements with both our names and two pieces of mail(copies, not originals) that my husband had received at our house. We had a bunch more, but he said no, he had enough.

The officer also explained some of the process--FBI name check and lifting of conditions. Then he made a joke about us "getting a bargain" because the prices were all going up soon.

The whole interview had a friendly tone and was NOT stressful. We brought so much paperwork we didn't need. The thing he seemed most interested in were the photos.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for your help!

Naturalization (N-400)

5/17/2010 application sent to Texas Lockbox

5/20/2010 check cashed

5/25/2010 NOA

6/07/2010 biometrics letter received

6/16/2010 biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.