agileflower

is there an age exemption for requiring vaccinations proofs?

8 posts in this topic

Hi--just a quick question I saw that was not addressed in a search of the archives--I thought, when last looking at all of the future paperwork potential for doing DCF london, that I had seen somewhere that if you are over the age of fiftysomething that you were not required to show proof of vaccination.

My DH will be 57, his doctor's office from when he was a child doesn't even exist anymore....and though he's had some recently (flu etc), he had all the diseases as a child (measles, rubella, even polio, etc etc etc)....but it would be impossible to even get records of these things.

Although we are in general against vaccination on principle, we realize this lack of records might mean he needs to get vaccinated for everything (ugh!)--unless I had actually read there was an exemption for 'old folk' :-) Is there such a thing? I looked at the link that was the guideline for physicians doing the exams and there was no information on this.

Tracy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4/24/03 Met hubby(UKC) while he was on an F1 in California

4/28/03 First delicious date! (On my birthday!)

9/6/03 Engaged on vacation in Paris!

12/23/03 Married in San Francisco

3/31/04 Moved to Sweden for his work

4/25/05 Moved to London

9/8/06 DH moved to Madrid for a few months for work wahhhhhh!

10/31/06 DH is home in London yayayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

05/07/07 I 130 filed London

05/09/07 Credit card charged hooray-awaiting NOA

Filed: Timeline

Tracy,

The only 'age exemption' would be on medical grounds, a medical decision that a particular vaccination should be waived because it is not age-appropriate for the person.

Yodrak

Hi--just a quick question I saw that was not addressed in a search of the archives--I thought, when last looking at all of the future paperwork potential for doing DCF london, that I had seen somewhere that if you are over the age of fiftysomething that you were not required to show proof of vaccination.

My DH will be 57, his doctor's office from when he was a child doesn't even exist anymore....and though he's had some recently (flu etc), he had all the diseases as a child (measles, rubella, even polio, etc etc etc)....but it would be impossible to even get records of these things.

Although we are in general against vaccination on principle, we realize this lack of records might mean he needs to get vaccinated for everything (ugh!)--unless I had actually read there was an exemption for 'old folk' :-) Is there such a thing? I looked at the link that was the guideline for physicians doing the exams and there was no information on this.

Tracy

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

you can try and get an anitbody titer test done.. it shows if you have had certain vaccinations etc...

check out this site which shows you what is needed according to age...

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/...ccinechart.html

mvSuprise-hug.gif

you can try and get an anitbody titer test done.. it shows if you have had certain vaccinations etc...

Thanks! Looks like he will need diptheria/tetanus, varicella (ugh, come ON), and flu. For varicella, i assume he'll need to get that in the US and then send in proof in order for them to process his permanent residence card?

Tracy

4/25/05 Moved to London

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks! Looks like he will need diptheria/tetanus, varicella (ugh, come ON), and flu. For varicella, i assume he'll need to get that in the US and then send in proof in order for them to process his permanent residence card?

Tracy

do you know if he has had the chicken pox (varicella)?? they usually except verbal acknowledgment if you have had it...

or like I mentioned you can get an antibody titers blood test showing proof of immunity to chickenpox (varicella).

but I am not sure if this available in the UK....

Antibody Titer: This is a blood test that can be ordered by your doctor to determine if you have immunity to an infectious disease. Antibody titer tests are available for many of the diseases that regulations require you to be immunized against. In instances where you have no immunization records you do have an option of providing the Panel Physician with written copies of antibody titer test results showing immunity in order to avoid receiving a vaccination. Antibody titer blood tests may be covered by provincial medicare. In some jurisdictions antibody titer tests results may take a week or two to obtain. We suggest that you visit with your doctor as soon as you receive instructions from U.S. Immigration in order to discuss your immunization requirments.

http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Glossary.htm

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

<<

do you know if he has had the chicken pox (varicella)?? they usually except verbal acknowledgment if you have had it...

or like I mentioned you can get an antibody titers blood test showing proof of immunity to chickenpox (varicella).

but I am not sure if this available in the UK....>>

He has had the chickenpox, yes--we'll check into the antibody titers. it's so funny how they accept antibody titers when they are so darned unreliable (and they change over time)! (folks with no 'antibodies' can be resistant, and folks with titers sufficient to be deemed 'immune' (particularly in the case of hepatitis) sometimes have very serious cases of illness!) They are simply markers of exposure. But, we'll take advantage of thier acceptance of the titers if we can :-) THanks for the paste--for some reason my brain has temporarily gone on vacation and I cannot seem to find a thing....been writing too many papers, maybe I'm wearing out!

Thanks again!!

Tracy

4/25/05 Moved to London

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi there Agileflower

I have just been for my visa interview in London and the vaccination question came up then.

I am 53 and had my medical for the K3 a couple of weeks before the interview date. At the medical the doctor agreed with me that I only had to have certain vaccinations because of my age. My medical paper said that I age appropriately vaccinated.

I had contacted my own doctor who could only give limited info about previous vacs - nothing prior to computerisation! However when in America recently had a diptheria/tetanus booster and a flu jab.

So, when I got to the K3 interview - for which you dont have to have had all the jabs as they can be done in the States - I knew that the IR1 had arrived there and they agreed to interview me for that instead!!!!! Great excitement as you can guess.

The lady who interviewed me did say that she could see the vacs were not complete for the IR1 and was very interested when I showed her the copy of the US embassy website which shows the age appropriate bit. She took a copy for her records as she didnt know about it herself!

Anyway, I got the visa and am going to the States on 11 April BUT a slight concern is that the visa is annotated with a 221G which I think relates to the vacs question. I havent been refused a visa obviously and the person who actually interviewed me didnt even mention it. So, I am presuming that I will be okay when I get there - seriously hope so after all the waiting. But we shall see . . .

By the way - there is no varicella vac in the UK and they mention that everywhere in the info on the website - I wouldnt worry about that one.

Hope all goes well for you and your loved one.

Sonia

Thanks so much for this, torteval :-) I am sure it will go fine.....we have decided, in the end to apply in the summertime or early fall to 'time' it so that things would be expected to wind up just as or just before I apply for UKC.....

:-)

Tracy

4/25/05 Moved to London

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.