Siam Sam

BNH Medical

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

This is to let you know our experience with the medical exam at BNH Hospital on Thursday. We called ahead, and they said my wife did not need an appointment. They told us it would take 3-4 hours, but in reality it took only two. My wife had to have four vaccinations, but at least one of them was age related (she's 55), so not everyone will get that. What she had to get was varicella (chicken pox), combined tetanus-diptheria, MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) and the latest influenza. They said the influenza was especially required by the CDC, so everyone will have to get that. (Again, that's what BNH said, but I'm seeing on this Board that not everyone is getting it.) For the varicella vaccine, my wife will also need a booster after four weeks. No special TB testing was done, possibly due to her chest X-ray looking good.

But be warned: Some of the information given regarding the exam is incorrect. The IV Unit's info said to take three (3) photos sized 1 x 1-1/2 inches, but what BNH wants is four (4) photos sized 2 x 2 inches (basically the same as the other photos already submitted for the visa application). Fortunately they told us about the photos when we called ahead and so were prepared. The IV Unit also said the basic fee for BNH would be Bt2850, but no, it was Bt3300. The four vaccinations came to another Bt4655 for a grand total of Bt7955 for us. (The booster will cost Bt1850 if she goes back to BNH for it, but it's okay to get it elsewhere at a lower cost.) In the instructions, the IV Unit also linked to four forms needed, and I printed those out. But you don't need to print them out, the hospital already has them and will use those.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think we will be going to Bumrungrad sometime after the 18th and will report on that later. Do you know what tests were given? My wife is concerned that they will not do the medical during "their time" of the month.

Timeline

All she knows is it was a blood test and a chest X-ray. The nurse she talked to when she phoned did mention syphilis. And that's all she knows. The results are sealed and cannot be opened by us, so we can't see what exactly was tested for. (I'm pretty sure she doesn't have syphilis though, heh.)

But it's not like it's a regular health checkup. For that you have to stop eating at midnight or so, and there were no such instructions. Also, it's doubtful they check for HIV, because normally there's a counseling component for that even just when testing, regardless of whether the result is positive or negative.

Timeline

Sounds like, x-ray, blood tests and vaccinations. No body probe stuff.

She says just a little. Looked into her throat, used the stethoscope, had her lie down and then pressed around looking for lumps. That was about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.