ziggyboo

Questions about I-130 Package!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

All right, we're working on getting our I-130 package put together before I have to go back home in May, and I just had a few little questions I hope you guys can help me with. :)

The first one is in regards to needing a copy of our marriage certificate. Does that mean we would just need a plain photocopy of it?

And regarding question 22 on the I-130 form itself... since my husband will be filing this for me while I am home in Canada, do I just put N/A there?

Also, is there anything we should include in the package that's not on the checklist here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide I just want to make absolutely sure we have everything we need in there before we send it off.

Thanks a lot, guys!

ETA: Oh yes! Another question... does the I-130 need a cover letter? If so, can someone show me an example of what we should write for a cover letter? Thanks!

Edited by ziggyboo

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
All right, we're working on getting our I-130 package put together before I have to go back home in May, and I just had a few little questions I hope you guys can help me with. :)

The first one is in regards to needing a copy of our marriage certificate. Does that mean we would just need a plain photocopy of it?

Yep, all you need is a plain photocopy. If they require you to provide the originals for proof it would likely be at the time of the visa interview.

And regarding question 22 on the I-130 form itself... since my husband will be filing this for me while I am home in Canada, do I just put N/A there?

This is how it normally works for other countries, but for Canada I'm not sure if there are any advantages given the whole Visa Waiver Program - i.e. if it might be easier to come to US and then file an I-130 or such.

Also, is there anything we should include in the package that's not on the checklist here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide I just want to make absolutely sure we have everything we need in there before we send it off.

Since you're filing now, you'll probably be using the new form. See Note 7 in the new I-130 form for other documents you'll need besides the marriage certificate. Download it from USCIS' website.

Thanks a lot, guys!

ETA: Oh yes! Another question... does the I-130 need a cover letter? If so, can someone show me an example of what we should write for a cover letter? Thanks!

Always helps to have a cover letter... ours went something like this:

Address

Phone Number

SUB: I-130 Application packet for Spouse - CR1 Visa

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find enclosed the application forms for petitioning the CR1 visa for my wife, yyy.

The following has been enclosed:

1. Filled I-130 Form, Petition for Alien Relative

2. Filing Fee (check) for the amount of $190 drawn out to the Dept. of Homeland Security

3. G-325A, Biographic Information for xxx (petitioner)

4. One color photograph of xxx per USCIS requirements

5. G-325A, Biographic Information for yyy (spouse)

6. One color photograph of yyy per USCIS requirements

7. Copy of Certificate of Registration of Marriage as proof of relationship

8. Copy of zzz as additional proof of relationship

9. Copy of Birth Certificate for xxx (petitioner) as proof of citizenship

Appreciate your time and help with this matter.

Thank you,

(your signature)

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Best,

/UM

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.