Sign in to follow this  
peejay

Sub expedition brings back 'promising' clues.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Sub expedition brings back 'promising' clues

By HARVEY RICE

2007 Houston Chronicle

GALVESTON, TX — An area discovered on the floor of the Gulf of Mexico about 100 miles south of here could be the remnants of a long-ago shoreline and a place to look for signs of human habitation during the last Ice Age, scientists returning from a submarine expedition said Saturday.

Scientists cautioned that core samples and a more detailed study of the 6-mile-long area are needed before they will know for sure that they are looking at a coastline from 20,000 years ago.

"We found an area that looks like a promising place to do further research," said anthropologist David Robinson, one of 24 scientists on the weeklong expedition in deep water of the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary.

The expedition conducted the first underwater search for signs of ancient humans in an area of the Gulf that is now far from shore while gathering biological and geographical information.

The mission also served as a proving ground for new technology that could make undersea exploration more like space exploration.

Scientists beamed information from the Gulf to six control centers in the United States, where scientists directed the expedition in real time.

Robinson and sanctuary Superintendent George Schmahl spent the first three days of the expedition in the belly of the NR-1, a U.S. Navy nuclear research submarine, looking through viewing windows about 18 feet from the sea bottom.

The NR-1 used its sonar to map the ocean floor and sent data to scientists in a control room jammed with scientific equipment aboard the nearby Carolyn Chouest, built to support the NR-1.

From the 238-foot Chouest, scientists deployed the Argus, a remote-controlled vehicle equipped with sonar that made rare videos of an eruption of methane gas from an undersea mud volcano.

Robinson was on watch Thursday morning when he noticed yellow signals on the green sonar monitor, indicating the kind of terrain consistent with an ancient shoreline.

Wave action and ocean currents had eroded much of the area. But members of the expedition hoped to find the suspected shoreline intact in areas where rapidly rising water could have inundated the land as temperatures rose.

The submarine zigzagged over an area about 6 miles long that had the appearance of an ancient coastline cut by streams, Robinson said.

If further study shows that it was a shoreline 20,000 years ago, scientists will look for evidence of human habitation.

The expedition's chief scientist, Dwight Coleman, said the suspected shoreline is about 100 miles south of Galveston and about 80 miles off the coast of Louisiana in about 300 feet of water.

Any discovery of human habitation in the area would push back the earliest known date of human life in North America by about 8,000 to 10,000 years, Coleman said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4619405.html

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Coool.

See, you oil guys do good stuff! ;)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
Coool.

See, you oil guys do good stuff! ;)

I don't think the oil companies have anything to do with this endevour. I don't know who is footing the actual costs, but the scientists are using a US Navy submarine.

I just thought it was interesting because I work near the Flower Gardens Marine Sanctuary. This is a popular diving area for diving trips by diving enthusiasts.

Millions of years ago large portions of inland Texas were buried under the sea and ancient fossils are still found far inland.

I was completely unaware that the area mentioned in this article (now roughly 100 miles offshore) was high and dry as recently as 20,000 years ago due to the Ice Age and that humans could have inhabited the now submerged seabed.

No wonder there is such a hoopla about Global Warming and melting polar ice! Less ice...less dry land!

Edited by peejay

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I used to run into all sorts when I was in Belize.. geologists, archaologists etc.. it's very interesting to learn about the changing sea levels & where people lived etc.. I've found evidence of people where I least expect it! Greece is much the same--whole cities underwater.. it's so easy to think that our globe always looked just the way it does now. I will keep my eye out for the follow up news about this (it's scary how much I get tipped to from reading stuff at VJ).

I meant that in the kindest possible way, 'bout the oil guys. I (cynic for sure!) suspect that oil interests influence all Gulf exploration.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!