cheekymonkey83

yank chic dating brit bloke

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hoping someone can help me! here's my situation: i am an american in the uk living w/ my b/f on a visitor visa. i got here jan 7th, we left a week later and spent 4 weeks in thailand, now have been back 3 weeks. was told by immigration and uk visa people that i would have to get hired by a uk co., they apply for the work permit, if i get approved i bring it to the uk embassy in usa, then re-enter the uk and work. however, every job i call for only wants someone with a permit. so basically, i can't get a job without a permit and a permit without a job. we were told it would be easier for me to come to the uk than him to come to usa. plus, in usa we'd have an overpriced small apartment, where here we stay with his family in a huge house and pay little rent. in the us saving for a house would be impossible, so the preference was for us both to stay here for 1-2 years and work, save money, and go to usa. however, it's a nightmare for me to get hired. we've known each other for 8 years and have been dating for a few months..we're madly in love and know every thing about each other, but i don't want to rush into getting married just so we can live together. this is a nightmare! anyone with any advice?? (ps- in usa i was an assistant pre-k teacher, not a rocket scientist, so i couldn't get highly skilled migrant status or anything.. and he's a carpenter). many thanks!! also, we are both going back to new york end of april for a wedding party i'm in, so i can go to the embassy while i'm there, or if i can't get work here by then i guess i will have to stay in us for a while..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi,

I'm not sure I have the best of answers for you. But since me and my husband were sorta in the same situation I'm gonna try anyway. From the little that I do know you coming to the UK would be just as complicated and hard as him coming to the US. So is it coming to any country where you don't have any "legal" family such as a husband. However, since he is an EU citizen you might wanna look into moving to another EU country. If that is even something you want to do. I know Sweden has some pretty humane immigration laws. But I would also say that if your plan is to just stay in the UK for 1-2 years only to return to the US, forget it. By the time you get a visa to Europe it will be time to apply for a visa for him to come to the US with you. And as we all know in here going through the immigration process is no fun at all. I hope that this helped you just a little. But if you do have your heart set on going to the UK, then I wish you luck. You might have to get creative with it and get a job as for example an au pair. That way it would be easier to get a visa. Anyway I wish you all the luck.

T. Robinson

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card