mnashville

Police clearance help!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I know that you need to get clearance from a country that you lived for 6 months or more. Does this still apply to working on an h2b visa as well? My fiancé worked in the USA for 6 months and extended it for another 3. Does this count as live because he worked here and was clearly under watch when he was here?!

If this is the case and he does need it to be done how do we do that he worked in Florida as well as Mass.

Thank you!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

You don't need to obtain a police certificate from the US because the Department of State will conduct their own background check.

Best of luck!

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Timeline

Did you have this same situation?! I'm sorry we are down to the wire finally and my mind is racing with questions and possibilities and what if's I don't want anything to come up and be prepared for anything possible.

Timeline

Nope, I haven't but, this question has been asked on VJ a lot and US police certificates are never required since a background check will always be conducted by the DOS.

F2B

Timeline

Do you get chance know can I search for them or where I can find them? I asked for help through a Facebook group and someone said I did and sent the page it was on. But it states "resided" like he would already be in the states.

I'm sorry I'm just so nervous and don't want him to go in there and then we are out of luck and he doesn't have it. We already had issues with the wrong clearance from South Africa and putting us behind

Timeline

Here's one: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/510066-police-certificate-from-the-us/

This link states that you don't need one:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.

Hmm, I can't seem to see what you sent.

F2B

Timeline

Ohh, this link is for United States citizens who are seeking "employment, temporary or permanent residence applications, etc." in South Africa.

That would make sense just like you need a South African police clearance to reside in the US.

That is what I understand from the language and the link is also "resources for USC", which doesn't apply to your fiance.

Edited by teeak

F2B

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi there

I am applying for my police clearance now in South Africa, I just wanted to ask you about the issues you had with regards to the wrong police clearance? Just want to make sure I do this right first time.

Thanks in advance.

Do you get chance know can I search for them or where I can find them? I asked for help through a Facebook group and someone said I did and sent the page it was on. But it states "resided" like he would already be in the states.

I'm sorry I'm just so nervous and don't want him to go in there and then we are out of luck and he doesn't have it. We already had issues with the wrong clearance from South Africa and putting us behind

Timeline

Hi there

I am applying for my police clearance now in South Africa, I just wanted to ask you about the issues you had with regards to the wrong police clearance? Just want to make sure I do this right first time.

Thanks in advance.

My fiance did a backround check but through his sisters company because they do them all on new hires and its run through the same data base that saps uses, well we got it back however it is not the official saps copy with watermark and logo so we have to start all over. The only way I believe that it can be done is through the saps website it lists how it works on there and what you need to do. It says 14 day turn around but I am not sure how accurate it is. He is going to call tomorrow since today is a public holiday. Also try to get your medical date set once you get your interview date. He went to joberg and they had one available before his interview that would give him enough time to have it done and sent to the consulate.

Timeline

So what I did is my fiance worked in NH on a work visa for 7 months during one period of time and 6 months for another. All I did was I went to the town where his physical address was according to the visa and got a letter from the chief of police stating that he was a member of good standing for those time periods and that there is no criminal record. I just sent him the original letter signed by the chief of police to submit with the police clearance in SA.

We would rather be safe than sorry! Hope this helps you figure out what you're going to do. The Chief of Police typed it up the same day I called to request it and I picked it up a few hours later because I had to drive over an hour to pick it up!

Timeline

So what I did is my fiance worked in NH on a work visa for 7 months during one period of time and 6 months for another. All I did was I went to the town where his physical address was according to the visa and got a letter from the chief of police stating that he was a member of good standing for those time periods and that there is no criminal record. I just sent him the original letter signed by the chief of police to submit with the police clearance in SA.

We would rather be safe than sorry! Hope this helps you figure out what you're going to do. The Chief of Police typed it up the same day I called to request it and I picked it up a few hours later because I had to drive over an hour to pick it up!

Is that something they asked for when it came time for the interview? or just incase?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.