Am I Myrna's Man?

Should I use an Immigratio Lawyer?

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Well the time has finally come (well almost!!) for My baby and I to get the visa ball rolling. My divorce will be through in the next week or so and we want to get going as soon as I have the piece of paper in my hand.

So my question is: Should we use an immigration lawyer?

Will it speed the process up or can we get everything sorted just as quickly on our own?

The money is not the issue here, we both just want to get everything done as quickly as possible.

Any feedback or experience in this matter would be gratefully received

Thanks

Andrew :thumbs:

Unless you have some legal issues that can complicate things, "No" you do not need a lawyer. You can do this yourself. The lawyer does not make the process faster! Actually, they become a middle man in the process and they can actually slow things down.

I agree - I used a lawyer and believe they significantly slowed down my process. Also, I received an RFE for something VERY simple that should not have been overlooked by a lawyer that specializes in immigration (decree of absolute divorce).

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Things to remember:

1.) If it's a simple case, you're probably fine on your own (and by simple i mean you have no criminal record and no prior run-ins with the US government with regards to violating immigration laws)

2.) You need to find an attorney who has experience with FAMILY BASED petitions and visas. Someone familiar with work visas isn't necessarily prepared to help you.

3.) You need to take an active role in your own case and educate the hell out of yourself BEFORE meeting with any attorney or selecting one. Use the guides here. Read over the actual petitions forms from www.uscis.gov.

4.) A LAWYER IS NOT A MAGICIAN. Lawyers don't have crystal balls. They don't have a bat phone that dials direct to the embassy in your sweetie's country. They don't have a red line to the President. They do not have special powers. Their only power comes from experience (IF THEY HAVE IT) and knowledge about how to handle complicated situations. If your case isn't complicated, you'll be paying a premium for no benefit. If your attorney is not experienced, you'll be paying for more uncertainty and worry than if you'd done it yourself.

PLUS - the one bit of advice I got from the attorney that we spoke with (but did not retain) was for me to NOT BE A LAWYER when I was filling out the forms. They are written at like a 5th grade level and everyone gets into trouble trying to read into the simple directions. Now, some directions are ambiguous or incomplete. Some are clear. Learn to spot the difference. Trust your gut. And then ask here if you're still confused.

So, in review: LAWYERS AREN'T MAGICAL, POWERFUL, ALL-KNOWING BEINGS. They are tradesmen skilled in a certain practice that may or may not be what you need. Do your homework. Buyer beware. And make sure ALL FEES AND COSTS are clearly explained and laid out in writing before you hand over a dime.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.