anayjack

documents needed for k2 child to move/parental consent

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

OK, this one seems to have been answered before but I'm also looking for confirmation and hopefully from anyone with any recent experience.

My fiancee is bringing her 2 children when she moves (we will have 4 total!!! :luv: ). We are all approved at the US embassy stage (I would love to put my consulate review in but it won't seem to give me Colombia as an option in the drop down menu :huh2: ).

One father is Colombian but lives in Spain, is glad to sign a document but is being told the document is only good for one month by the people in Spain. I have seen that debated here and came away with the impression that there is no "expiration" on these approvals though technically they can be revoked. Of course, having one recent is best, but I would think one now when the move is in January would suffice. The other parent is in Colombia...seems alright with the idea...but now I am wondering if there is a difference because of the two different countries as far as how recent the approval letter must be or what?

What experience have others had? What are others gathering as documents to make sure that the flight out and entry go as smoothly as possible with a nino in tow for the move?

Any help anyone wants to offer would be greatly appreciated at this point as we thought we knew what we needed, but now seem to be getting conflicting information.

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

God, one biological parent is enough to deal with, think two would drive me nuts. First off is trying to comprehend why the law is so strong to protect the rights of that don't give a damn but his kid child. Even though my wife had full custoday of her daughter. One bargaining chip was in the agreement, and that is what it is, to free that no-good SOB of child support responsibilities. But is my understanding if the child and the the biological parent are in different countries, that child support is no longer enforceable.

Never heard of a time limit for that court statement permission for letting the child move to a different country, but that was only one piece of paper. The other one we needed was also that permission for the child to board the airplane. This one needed the child's name with the exact date and flight number.

Other problem we ran into was with the consulate in Chicago to renew my step daughter's passport, even after several years of her living her, with divorce paperts, full custody, and even with her green card. Refused to do so without that worthless biological fathers permission, but he refused to do so. So she was stuck her until she reached 18 years of age.

Had to go through all this nonsense with a notary, and with some, you can really get so bad information. Most these guys also want 500-1000 US bucks under the table. And if you don't do this would have to wait forever.

Just telling it like it is, judge may even ask for more or will keep you waiting for two years before he will hear your case. All these guys I met have Miami bank accounts, move very quicky with an expedient fee as I call it.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey Jack, i had my visa and my son's approved just last week.

It was a rough ride to make my son's dad give him the permission but we made it through. The permission your fiancee's ex has to sign is the one available to download on the migration people webpage (http://www.migracioncolombia.gov.co/index.php/servicios-al-ciudadano/descargas)

I went to their office in Cali and ask them personally how old that permission must be to be accepted by Migracion at the airport. They said it doesnt matter how old it is as long as your fiancee and her child leaves in the exact same date as the departure date stated on it. Again, i went PERSONALLY and ask them and this is the information they gave me. ALSO and very important is that the father has to fill the document up with his own handwriting and have it notarized.

Another option is to pay for the Escritura Publica. It is a permanent permission for the child to leave the country. This one expires in 30 days, but you ask for a notarized copy and the validity certificate when you are sure you're leaving in less than a month. The Escritura Publica is really like the best option because that saves you the trouble of asking the father to give out his signature everytime you come to Colombia. Keep in mind that you can use it as long as the father doesnt revoke it, which i believe it wont be your case.

We got both of them cause i didnt wanna take the risk, but whichever is good. Which one is up to you, guys.

I wish you the best with your big family! :D

Anything you wanna ask me, feel free to do so :luv:

Either my fiancé or I will answer

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you both so much. This is very helpful. NickD...that sounds like a nightmare scenario. I can only pray we don't fall in to those traps and I couldn't agree with you more...what kind of logic (I know, it's government so why look for logic no matter the country) says a person somehow has to sign off on the life choices of another person (and their responsible guardian) they abandoned (the child)? Huh? That actually seems reasonable to someone somewhere? But I also have personal experience with an uncle who spent a decade trying to get his kids back from Germany (of which he had full custody) after they visited their mother there once...who was also an American citizen but had moved to Germany. The only reason he got them back was she finally visited the US with them 10 years later...otherwise our government wasn't going to make an issue out of it just for him (and he was in the service). :ranting:

colombianmainer...very nice detail. I am going to send you a message to see when you are moving and such to see if you run into any snags. I am a firm believer in "failing to plan is planning to fail". And I don't like surprises much. I really appreciate your offer. If I can help in any way just let me know.

Jack

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ha, isn't love crazy, this went on for a year after we agreed to get married. Certainly respected my wife to be, she did not want to leave her only daughter behind, found some women that would do this. At least in this year, we learned we could talk over all these complications without getting into an argument. I took on extra jobs to earn an additional $30K to get the money to pay for all these things. Learned about that expedient fee.

Finally that year passed, talked to my wife to be and landed safely in Huston, cell phones are great, They boarded the plane to Milwaukee, so drove down there, where are they? Both got delayed a couple of hours for a stripe search, were doing that for people coming from Colombia. Their luggage was a mess, but when we got home, everything was there, but their luggage was all torn up. Ha, welcome to the USA. I was about ready to kill some people, but had to keep my calm.

We did get married, great day, but then had a limit to filling out a ton of immigration forms, each had to be treated individually, back then, we could do that medical here, sure rushed to find a USCIS approved doctor that wouldn't rob us to death, from reading some new posts, I guess this changed, has to be done before they came here now?

It took almost a year before we finally got our USCIS interview, only to be accused of fraud. after everything we knew through, Sure had our problems with that I-751 with major delays, had to make a 450 mile trip with current valid foreign passports to get that I-551 stamp to keep them legal. Then US citizeship came, due to long USCIS delays, step daughter barely turned 18, but no go, she had to wait another two years. Then it was finally over.

Well not yet, still have a stepson struck down there, couldn't petition for him, was barely over 21 years old, but definitely a dependent. Kids here are considered a dependent until they hit 26 years of age, but not with the USCIS and the NVC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.