ninjaduck8

Notifying the Canadian Government

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I just got married (yay!) and I'm now trying to continue on this lovely process of emigrating to the USA. I am so confused and probably over complicating things and just running myself into a ditch. I'm hoping someone can give me a list that I can just check each thing off.

What agencies in Canada do I need to tell that I have moved and am living in the US? My last name changed, how do I tell Canada that?

How do I tell the CRA? When I file taxes for this year? I changed my address on the CRA website but I don't know if that counts.

What about my passport? Do I just buy plane tickets with my maiden name?

What about my driver's licence? Do I just let it expire and get a new american one?

Does my name change for my Social Insurance Number?

Thank you all in advance I am just worrying myself sick.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are permanently moving to the US, then you don't need to do anything on Canada side. You abandon everything except your driver license. You can use it to drive in the US until you get the license there. You might not even have to take the test again.

As for tax return, you can do it for this year. Just depends on whether you will get money back or you will owe money. If you are permanently moving, and you owe money, then don't worry about it anymore. If you will be getting money back, then file tax return in Canada for 2015.

Other than that, just buy a plane ticket and go. If you haven't applied for immigrant visa such as K-1 or K-3, you can do it in the US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I disagree with the above advice: even if you would owe money I would still file taxes in Canada. You never know what might happen in the future and if you want to avoid problems if you ever have to move back to Canada, I'd advise covering all your bases.

No point filling for K1 or K3, you don't qualify for the first sinc you are married, and the second is defunct. Or did you come to the USA on a K1 before getting married? :time:

I believe you can keep all of your Canadian stuff in your maiden name and it won't cause any problems, just make sure you book your tickets with the name that matches the ID you'll be using (so, your maiden name if you use your Canadian passport). But someone else may be better suited to answer this... I'm keeping my own name so it won't be an issue for me.

K1 Visa timeline: Application sent to Visa in hand: 10 months and 4 days (Texas Service Center)

02/26/2015: I-129F Application mailed to Texas lockbox

03/05/2015: NOA1 email notification

08/27/2015: NOA2! (176 days)

09/02/2015: Sent to NVC

09/14/2015: Called NVC and obtained MTL case number

09/18/2015: In Transit to MTL consulate

09/21/2015: Consulate received our file (24 days post-NOA2)

09/24/2015: Sent Packet 3 (unprompted, but CEAC status had updated a second time)

09/29/2015: Packet 4 received, interview scheduled. Still haven't received Packet 3, I advise not to wait for it!

10/09/2015: Received Packet 3 in the mail!

11/09/2015: Medical

12/16/2015: K1 Interview in Montreal (111 days from NOA2, 293 days total): Approved!

12/18/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant Ready

12/21/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant AP

12/24/2015: CEAC status changed to ISSUED! Merry Christmas!!

12/30/2015: Visa in hand

01/15/2016: POE @ Houlton, ME

01/22/2016: Married! (L)

AOS timeline: Application sent to card in hand: 6 months and 7 days.

01/25/2016: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP applications to Chicago via UPS

01/29/2016: NOA1 email notification x3

02/04/2016: Received NOA1 hard copies x3

02/29/2016: Still haven't received biometrics letter, Filed service request

03/30/2016: After more calls to Tier 2 and 2 service requests, letter still not received, USCIS said no appointment has been scheduled. Reached out to Congressman.

04/06/2016: Biometrics letter finally received thanks to Congressman's inquiry (Appointment scheduled 04/18/2016).

04/18/2016: Biometrics appointment

04/25/2016: Officially outside processing times for EAD/AP. Scheduled Infopass appointment for 05/10.

05/21/2016: Finally received email notice that EAD was approved on 05/19 after numerous service requests, infopass appt and ombudsman inquiry

05/23/2016: Received hard-copy letter notifying me that my AP was approved on the same day as my EAD. No hard-copy for EAD yet.

05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP Combo Card (122 days since filing).

06/21/2016: Received email notification of AOS interview (Appointment scheduled 07/21/2016)

07/21/2016: AOS interview. Approved, but file was missing medical. Local office can't issue GC until they receive medical from DOS.

07/25/2016: USCIS case status changed to New Card Is Being Produced!

08/01/2016: Green card in hand. ROC window opens Apr 29, 2018.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is what I did:

- I notified the SIN folks that both my daughter and I had left Canada - they had a form online - not required but I did it anyway

- I did NOT change my name back home in Canada except at the bank (I still had a bank account at TD until this year.

- I did NOT go as far back as changing my name on my Cdn birth cert - I didn't think that was necessary

- I used my old Cdn passport with my old name until the next renewal time. While I was using the old one I carried a copy of my Marriage certificate as proof of my name change since my GC was in my married name, as was my VA state id

- when it was time to do my passport renewal, my marriage certificate was proof of my name change - very straight forward

- I changed my name with my RRSP (Sunlife) using my marriage certificate.

- I don't recall if I changed my name with CRA - frankly I received mail from them in both names at my US address so I must have

I agree that you need to file a final Canadian tax return - it's considered your exit return, this assists with notifying them that you are not longer a Cdn resident and therefore not entitled to future GST or other bonus type Gov't cheques. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/lvng-eng.html

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.