Jump to content

Still undecided whether or not to include K-2 in my ROC

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I am losing my mind :-( I am nearing the deadline in submitting my ROC. Just to give you an overview, I got pregnant and gave birth to my daughter while I was still in the Philippines. The father is a U.S citizen and he petitioned me with a K-1 fiancé visa and our daughter with a K-2 visa. The reason he did not file for CRBA Report of birth abroad is because he does not meet the criteria, (must acquire at least 5 years of stay in the U.S. After the age of 14) he has been residing most of his life in the Philippines and the reason he gained citizenship is because he was born in LA. Or in U.S soil.

Fast forward, I was able to file for AOS and our daughter has not (Long story). Her AOS papers are now with USCIS and it is still pending. We seeked and we are working with a lawyer for her case because it got complicated as we waited too long to file for her AOS.

Right now, the same lawyer who is working on my daughter's case wants me to include her in my ROC. I just don't know if this is the way to go since she has not even been granted AOS, what is there to "remove"? Plus everywhere I search, I keep reading that a K-2 is only able to file jointly with a K-1 for ROC if they achieved permanent resident status at the same time the K-1 did or WITHIN 90 days after. But this is what my lawyer said as to why I should include Aria (our daughter who came in with a K-2) in my ROC

"Aria is subject to the same period two-year conditional permanent residency as Rica. Even if she does not yet have a Green Card, she came to United States as Rica's dependent child after you filed an I-129F petition for Rica, who was your fiance at the time. Aria's visa was issued based on the same I-129F petition as the petition filed for Rica, and her U.S. Permanent Residency is subject to the same conditions as Rica's.

Therefore, please do not forget to list Aria on the I-751 Petition, as I instructed Rica."

Please help. :-(

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this lawyer is wrong. I think whether your daughter is a conditional permanent resident is based on how long your marriage has been at the time she gets permanent residency, and even if she becomes a conditional permanent resident, she would have to remove conditions 2 years after she gets it, not at the same time as you.

(must acquire at least 5 years of stay in the U.S. After the age of 14)

You mean, 5 years total, including 2 years after turning 14, right?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, my mistake, 5 years including 2 years after the age of 14 which he does not meet. We already computed all the years he has been / stayed in the United States and it only added to 3 years and a few months.. (This is before our daughter was born and before we all decided to move and live in the U.S.)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.