madala

Citizenship application and trips

2 posts in this topic

Timeline

I would like to receive you guys’ thought about my situation. I am going to finally qualify for citizenship in February of this year, after waiting for almost 5 years. I temporary left two years ago for around 7 months to see my husband because our little boy was missing him. I have been here since then without a trip.

I am planning to submit my application in February (location: NY), and join him because we have almost been away for 5 years now, while my application is being processed. I have a secure place for mailing, so I should be able to quickly return for my fingerprint and also test and oath. My plan is to become citizen and then sponsor him so we can all move to Seattle.

Any advise? Can I travel while my application is pending? Any implication?

- Feb 22 2020 - Mailed Application (I-130, I-845....) to Chicago

- April 22 2020 - NOA 1

- June 1 2020 - RFE for I-944

- June 24 2020 - Replied to RFE

- Oct 25 2020 - Fingerprint done

- Nov 9 2020 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

Filed: Timeline

First you have to make sure you actually qualify having left for seven months. Your time might have reset.

Secondly, even if your physical presence requirement has been met, I would not recommend to leave the country and just come back for interviews and oath. There are very specific questions about this during the interview and in the N445 form for the oath. By all means you can travel, but you are not showing that you have the intention of living here.

I know in theory the physical presence requirement is supposed to be for your time up to the application but from personal experience and other people's account, that is not the case.

Consider your actions carefully. You seem to have waited a long time to be reunited with your husband. The process should not take but a few months (if you qualify with the 7-month trip). In the mean time, if you have the means you can go visit for a month or so and come back. The time between the interview and the oath should be short if you're approved.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.