Jump to content

Questions about entering the US after travelling with 2 passports

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I have a few questions about a trip I'm planning to make to the US soon.

The background:
I recently moved to Mexico (where I am living now) from the UK. I have both Mexican and British citizenships.
On my way to Mexico from UK, I stopped in America as a tourist for 9 days, entering the US with my British passport unde the Visa waiver program.

I then continued onwards to Mexico using my Mexican passport.
I've been living in Mexico now for over 100 days (around 4 months).

I'm now planning to go visit the US soon, as a toursit for 2 weeks, using my British passport again.

As I understand it, under the Visa Waiver program im only allowed 90 days in North America, which includes Mexico. Since I've been living in Mexico for so long, I'm not sure if America will think I have 'overstayed' the conditions of the VWP as a UK citizen - despite my having Mexican citizenship.

My questions are:
Will be able allowed to go into America as a tourist again using my UK passport?
Will they accuse me of never officially having left North America after 90 days? Or will I be excempt from this rule because of travelling under my Mexican nationality?

And does the US have a record of me officially exiting the US, if I arrived into their country on a UK passport and then exited on a flight where I gave details of my Mexican passport?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just present both passports at the POE as evidence that you reside in Mexico and that you didnt simply go to Mexico to get around the 90-day limitation. You should be OK.

Edited by JohnR!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I don't think I did, as far as I remember. The US apparently does not have departure immigration checks at airports, at least not the way other countries do (though I did not know this at the time).

I don't recall exactly what the procedure was, but I think all I had to do was use my Mexican passport that I used to book the airplane ticket to check in, and then get on the plane to Mexico, without a face-to-face immigration check.

It would have probably been a lot smarter if I had booked my plane ticket using my UK passport, and then just showed the Mexican passport to Mexican authorities after landing in Mexico. But I fly a lot, and I'm used to booking flights with the passport I need to enter the country (since the airline can deny you boarding if they don't think you'll be accepted into a country). And usually, the immigration checks by the country I'm leaving give me a chance to clear anything up. Having said that, I really didn't think this through at the time, and I feel dumb that I didn't realize I was potentially getting into a situation where America might think I never left.

I'm afraid they might think I overstayed, and they might not let me visit again. I'm not sure how to correct this, if they don't have a record of me having officially left the country.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.