Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Naturalization for US citizen's children after entering to US as I-551

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

I am confused regarding procedures and forms required to use for my children's naturalization process.

They born in oversea and enter to the US under green card visa (USCIS Form I-551), when they were 2 years old.

Now, i would like to convert their status to naturalized citizens and i believe there is a special FORM.

Is this form N600 ?

link : http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter4.html#S-D

Thanks !

02/09/2010 - Married
05/02/2012 - I-130 sent for my wife and kids
05/09/2012 - NOA1 hard copy received
10/18/2012 - Became a USC and called USCIS to upgrade cases to IR-1/CR-1
10/22/2012 - Got the notice of case upgrade to IR-1
01/29/2013 - NOA2 email

02/04/2013: NVC Received
02/22/2013: BOG number/IIN
02/22/2013: Choice of Agent email sent
02/26/2013: AOS bill invoiced
02/26/2013: AOS bill paid
03/06/2013: AOS bill shows PAID
03/07/2013: Choice of Agent email accepted
03/07/2013: IV bill invoiced
03/13/2013: IV bill paid
03/23/2013: IV bill shows PAID
04/01/2013: AOS package sent
04/01/2013: IV package sent
04/17/2013: RFE for AOS package, requested form I-864W
04/18/2013: Sent RFE back to NVC
05/02/2013: Case complete
05/13/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy/Consulate:
05/21/2012: Embassy received
06/05/2013: Medical
06/26/2013: Interview
06/27/2013: Visa in hand
07/03/2013: POE WAS, VA

08/07/2013: Permanent residence card arrived

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the children are permanent residents under 18 living in the US with a parent who becomes a US citizen, then at that moment the children automatically become US citizens. There is nothing that needs to be done for this; it is automatic and involuntary.

After becoming US citizens, the children can apply for US passports at any time. The passport is the easiest proof of US citizenship to get.

They can also, if they want, after becoming US ciitzens, file N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship. This is pretty expensive and takes many months to get.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.