dmmhydro

Transportation letters and N-600 (split)

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all!!

well like to start of with a great big thanks to Mark88 for this wonderful post has given a lot of insight on the DO's I totally understand what you went through as so have I till now

here is my brief story and need a few answers too.....

Iam a U.S citizen by naturalization and my wife a green card holder our 1st child was born in the U.S so no issues but due to my job which is outside the U.S our second child was born outside the U.S. The reason why we chose to have our baby outside U.S was me and my wife traveled to U.S and a few other places when she was pregnant and the Dr. Advised us to avoid flying again keeping the well being of the baby and mother in mind, and the other reason was simple I was (very!) confident enough that i could prove my 5 year physical stay and apply for the U.S passport and CRBA. I even contacted the CO before the birth of my daughter to confirm the required documents and all so that i was at mental ease.

Now the website mentions that the CRBA should be applied at the earliest or with in 30 days of birth if in city limits and 60 days if outside city limits so me my wife and the newborn hurriedly go to the CO only to be told that this procedure can be done till the child is 18!!

after showing every document I had of over the past 9 years the officer was not satisfied and said needed a additional year of proof, the officer simply refused to accept lease documents, cell phone bills, ComEd/electric bills, bank account statements, application copies of my wife green card application and my citizenship application, previous employer letters, car payments, photos with date stamps even a couple of parking tickets i had! saying that this did not prove i was in the U.S during those days/months and could simply pay the bills n rent.......FAIR enough showed the officer my tax returns and IRS transcripts but the officer in return asked me to show some kind of official government letter or something which proves my stay...as some earlier ppl posted the CO guys might hav some qouta for rejections so be it

to add a note the above mentioned din happen in one appointment but rather after 5 visits of tru n fro i concluded that its best to leave the CRBA and find a alternative. was advised by the officer to email the immigration department and ask for a alternative...the immigration guys are in the same building but they dont answer individual question in person but answer only through email! after emailing the immigration guys of the CO a few time i received a reply after full 2 weeks that a transportation letter will be issued so make a appointment and bring in the required documents....... as easy as that!

when i went to the CO to apply for the transportation letter the officer had no clue about what a transportation letter meant and after explaining in great animated detail and requesting her if she could pull out the email conversation I had with the concerned immigration department of the CO and after a senior officer involving did they know what i needed.

( a note again on the website the requirement is for two photos but please do keep extras coz i was asked for 6!! why coz they wanted 3 and something went wrong so they needed 3 again!!! luckily had 6 with me!!)

HERE is my Question:

​after waiting for 3 hours the officer gave us a 3 sealed envelopes saying this is the transportation letter

1 for the airlines/airport, 1 for the transit depending on the airlines where it stop overs, and 1 for the immigration officer/DHA in U.S

i came about this forum today so when i saw the picture posted by mark88 on how the transportation letter looks like which is basically like the visa sticker i am confused why i was given a real letter and not a sticker/stamp on my daughters passport or it doesn't matter as long as its a baby transportation letter and the guys at the port of entry in the U.S know what to do with and accept it?

second question did mark88 apply for the passport after his wife became a citizen or right after entering the U.S?? since we are currently living and working outside the U.S my wife did not apply for her citizenship but if its possible to apply for a passport for my new born once where in U.S would be really great!!

i read the links but still confused due to the legal terminology used....

Filed: Timeline

N-600k requires the US citizen parent to be physically present for at-lest 5 years........dont understand if the CO rejected the CBRA coz of lack of proof of the 5 year presence thing how will the child get a certificate of citizenship if even N600k has same documentation requirements?

Hi all!!

well like to start of with a great big thanks to Mark88 for this wonderful post has given a lot of insight on the DO's I totally understand what you went through as so have I till now

here is my brief story and need a few answers too.....

Iam a U.S citizen by naturalization and my wife a green card holder our 1st child was born in the U.S so no issues but due to my job which is outside the U.S our second child was born outside the U.S. The reason why we chose to have our baby outside U.S was me and my wife traveled to U.S and a few other places when she was pregnant and the Dr. Advised us to avoid flying again keeping the well being of the baby and mother in mind, and the other reason was simple I was (very!) confident enough that i could prove my 5 year physical stay and apply for the U.S passport and CRBA. I even contacted the CO before the birth of my daughter to confirm the required documents and all so that i was at mental ease.

Now the website mentions that the CRBA should be applied at the earliest or with in 30 days of birth if in city limits and 60 days if outside city limits so me my wife and the newborn hurriedly go to the CO only to be told that this procedure can be done till the child is 18!!

after showing every document I had of over the past 9 years the officer was not satisfied and said needed a additional year of proof, the officer simply refused to accept lease documents, cell phone bills, ComEd/electric bills, bank account statements, application copies of my wife green card application and my citizenship application, previous employer letters, car payments, photos with date stamps even a couple of parking tickets i had! saying that this did not prove i was in the U.S during those days/months and could simply pay the bills n rent.......FAIR enough showed the officer my tax returns and IRS transcripts but the officer in return asked me to show some kind of official government letter or something which proves my stay...as some earlier ppl posted the CO guys might hav some qouta for rejections so be it

to add a note the above mentioned din happen in one appointment but rather after 5 visits of tru n fro i concluded that its best to leave the CRBA and find a alternative. was advised by the officer to email the immigration department and ask for a alternative...the immigration guys are in the same building but they dont answer individual question in person but answer only through email! after emailing the immigration guys of the CO a few time i received a reply after full 2 weeks that a transportation letter will be issued so make a appointment and bring in the required documents....... as easy as that!

when i went to the CO to apply for the transportation letter the officer had no clue about what a transportation letter meant and after explaining in great animated detail and requesting her if she could pull out the email conversation I had with the concerned immigration department of the CO and after a senior officer involving did they know what i needed.

( a note again on the website the requirement is for two photos but please do keep extras coz i was asked for 6!! why coz they wanted 3 and something went wrong so they needed 3 again!!! luckily had 6 with me!!)

HERE is my Question:

​after waiting for 3 hours the officer gave us a 3 sealed envelopes saying this is the transportation letter

1 for the airlines/airport, 1 for the transit depending on the airlines where it stop overs, and 1 for the immigration officer/DHA in U.S

i came about this forum today so when i saw the picture posted by mark88 on how the transportation letter looks like which is basically like the visa sticker i am confused why i was given a real letter and not a sticker/stamp on my daughters passport or it doesn't matter as long as its a baby transportation letter and the guys at the port of entry in the U.S know what to do with and accept it?

second question did mark88 apply for the passport after his wife became a citizen or right after entering the U.S?? since we are currently living and working outside the U.S my wife did not apply for her citizenship but if its possible to apply for a passport for my new born once where in U.S would be really great!!

i read the links but still confused due to the legal terminology used....

The N-600K doesn't have anything to do with you, because 1) you didn't file N-600K, 2) it is adjudicated by USCIS, not a consulate, 3) it would require the child enter the US on a visa, usually B2 visa, not transportation letter, 4) it is for people who remain residing abroad, and you are moving to the US, and 5) it requires 5 years of physical presence also.

Them giving you a transportation letter sounds like they are going with the child-born-to-permanent-resident-mother route. When a permanent resident mother gives birth to a child on a temporary trip abroad, the child can be brought to the US without a visa while under the age of 2, if brought along with either parent on that parent's first return to the US after the child's birth. The child doesn't need a visa as far as the US is concerned, and will be admitted as a permanent resident just as if he/she had an immigrant visa. The transportation letter is for convincing airlines and/or the originating country's exit checks that the child can enter the US. Once the child enters the US, he/she will automatically become a US citizen if he/she isn't already, due to living in the US with a US citizen parent.

You can take this route to go to the US, and then file N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship for the child, and the child will get it, based on either 1) getting it at birth, due to being born to a US citizen parent abroad; the physical presence will be adjudicated by a different agency, USCIS, so a different set of eyes may decide differently, or 2) getting it upon entering the US as a permanent resident minor living with a US citizen parent.

Edited by newacct

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.