Jump to content

Should we request name change in I-751?

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Due to the war in Afghanistan, birth certificates were lost. Therefore, when my husband got his new one once he was older they were not including his last name. It is common in Afghanistan to include middle name, first name instead of the usual last name, first name. But because USCIS goes by proof of documents my husband's name does not actually include his surname. Its basically his middle name as his first name and his first name as his middle name.

We have wanted to change this so that i too could change my name to his surname. But we were waiting until his permanant green card. But i heard and read that i should use the name he wants to change his name into so that the process could be faster.

Can someone direct me? Should i just wait until we receive our card and then change names?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.