Debmm

K1 Visa South Africa filers 2015

41 posts in this topic

No NOA2, we got an RFE. Hopefully my fiance will get it in the mail today or tomorrow. It's so frustrating being 6 hours ahead.

ROC

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Hi people,

i need your help, my k1 petition has been approved and the nvc has sent my GF a letter of approval to her and the location of the interview is johannesburg south africa.
I live in mauritius and will need to travel to SA . Can anyone tell me how long should i plan my stay there for the medical and result of the visa approval ? and the cost of the medical and money i need to pay the consulate if there are additinal fee.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Hi!

My fiancee is from Mauritius but he has to go to South Africa for the medical and interview since the US embassy in Mauritius doesn't handle K1 visas :(

Hopefully this month or next he will go for the medical/interview :)

Hi people,

i need your help, my k1 petition has been approved and the nvc has sent my GF a letter of approval to her and the location of the interview is johannesburg south africa.

I live in mauritius and will need to travel to SA . Can anyone tell me how long should i plan my stay there for the medical and result of the visa approval ? and the cost of the medical and money i need to pay the consulate if there are additinal fee.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, an update: CEAC website says our case is ready.I did DHL tracking and it was delivered and signed by the embassy today. Yay, we're getting there :D I'm a bit confused as to what happens next as everybody has a different process so i wanted to check with you what ours is. Do i just wait for packet 3 before doing anything?

I'm also unsure about the medical as i used to live in Johannesburg then moved to Cape Town so i have no way of getting my vaccination records, will this be a big deal?

Thanks

ROC

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

My fiance is from Durban and we finally got notice that our case is in transit and the interview date was provided to us? How long till we know what that date is and can we track the package to the consulate? We aren't really sure of how long things will take and can anyone offer advice or what happened with their case? Will we both get an email soon about what exactly he needs from me and such so we can make sure that things are not delayed? Thank you for any help and insight I am getting so excited!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

My fiance is from Durban and we finally got notice that our case is in transit and the interview date was provided to us? How long till we know what that date is and can we track the package to the consulate? We aren't really sure of how long things will take and can anyone offer advice or what happened with their case? Will we both get an email soon about what exactly he needs from me and such so we can make sure that things are not delayed? Thank you for any help and insight I am getting so excited!

Hello!
You can kinda track it on DHL but you won't know for certain it is your package you are tracking. This other VJ post goes over how. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/302190-dhl-tracking-from-nvc-to-us-embassy/
You would enter the day you believe your file left NVC in this format: EXP9JUL20159A. Just change the red text to the date you need to look up.
Honestly, it gets there so fast ( for me 3-4 days) that you shouldn't even worry about tracking it on DHL.
From my experience, once the K1 application got to South Africa, the consulate responds very fast (they got the file on Friday and emailed me on Tuesday). I, the US citizen, received the email about package 3, 4. Once We returned package 3 by email, they emailed(package 4) us the same day with an appointment. The appointment was for the end of the following month. I did ask if they ask if they had something sooner but they never responded do that question.
Have you started the DS160 yet? Does he have all the paperwork ready?
Excited for you!!
Good luck!

It was a stressful journey for us but so worth it. :)

Edited by VAN2015

9/01/13- Met online 7/10/15- NVC case # assigned **22 days from NOA2**

11/9/13- Met 1st time in person (L) 7/27/15- Case left NVC to South Africa!!!

2/01/14- Met 2nd time in person (L) 7/28/15- Case "ready"

9/01/14- Met 3rd time in person (L) 7/31/15- Consulate received

5/11/15- Mailed I-129F 8/4/15- Packet 3 received by email

5/19/15- NOA1--- Got routed to CSC!!! :dancing: 8/7/15- Sent Packet 3

5/22/15- File "touched" 8/7/15- Packet 4 received by email!

5/27/15- Our baby was born (L) 9/7- 9/8- Medical

6/18/15- NOA2!!!! Email notification at 21:30 Central Time **30 days from NOA1** 9/17/15- Interview!!! APPROVED :luv:

9/28/15- Visa in hand

9/29/15- US Entry---- Finally!!

Timeline
Hello!
You can kinda track it on DHL but you won't know for certain it is your package you are tracking. This other VJ post goes over how. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/302190-dhl-tracking-from-nvc-to-us-embassy/
You would enter the day you believe your file left NVC in this format: EXP9JUL20159A. Just change the red text to the date you need to look up.
Honestly, it gets there so fast ( for me 3-4 days) that you shouldn't even worry about tracking it on DHL.
From my experience, once the K1 application got to South Africa, the consulate responds very fast (they got the file on Friday and emailed me on Tuesday). I, the US citizen, received the email about package 3, 4. Once We returned package 3 by email, they emailed(package 4) us the same day with an appointment. The appointment was for the end of the following month. I did ask if they ask if they had something sooner but they never responded do that question.
Have you started the DS160 yet? Does he have all the paperwork ready?
Excited for you!!
Good luck!

It was a stressful journey for us but so worth it. :)

Okay I'll try that! thanks! what did they require you to send for the packet 3? Did you have to scan things in to email them? I thought that he had to wait till the file got to SA for him to start the DS160? I have all the papers except bank statements to give him he is leaving the states the 6th to go back and have the interview and such he came over on a tourist visa to visit and be together and plan the wedding and just be together after 7 months apart since the last tie I saw him.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Okay I'll try that! thanks! what did they require you to send for the packet 3? Did you have to scan things in to email them? I thought that he had to wait till the file got to SA for him to start the DS160? I have all the papers except bank statements to give him he is leaving the states the 6th to go back and have the interview and such he came over on a tourist visa to visit and be together and plan the wedding and just be together after 7 months apart since the last tie I saw him.

Hello,
He can start the DS 160 now if he wants. Once he starts it, he has 30 days to finish it.
You only have to email them DS-2001 and the DS-160 confirmation page. I dont think they ever sent me DS-2001, we just googled it and found a blank copy of the form.
Good luck!
I will copy and paste what they sent for packet 3 below:

Dear

Case no:

Please note that your petition has been approved and the immigrant visa process may begin.

You need to complete the following forms:

- DS-160 (Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application) - http://ceac.state.gov/genniv/)

- Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support (from the petitioner)

Required documents (Where applicable):

• Valid passport

• Passport size photographs in color on white background

• Long-form Birth certificate or Unabridged Birth Certificate (A South African birth certificate must be computer-generated, hand-written birth certificate will NOT be accepted)

• Police certificate/s (You may need to obtain a police certificate for South Africa or another Country that you have been in, for a period of six months or longer)

• Military Record/Certificate: Required only if you have previously served in the military, i.e. prior to 1994, or furnish proof that you were exempt from this requirement.

• Evidence of financial support from the petitioner (I-134 and supporting documents)

• Evidence of relationship

• DS-160 confirmation page

• Death Certificate: Death certificate of spouse if applicable.

• Divorce Decree(s): if applicable ALL Decrees of any previous marriages

• Medical(s): PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR X-RAY PLATES. Information will follow once you have all the required documents

Fees: The visa application fee is $265.00, which will ONLY be payable at the interview.

Please note that you must be interviewed within four-months of receipt of petition at US Consulate General, Johannesburg.

K-1 visa processing times vary. There may be unexpected ineligibilities that become apparent only at the time of your interview which require additional time and processing. For this reason, you should not make any irrevocable arrangements, such as purchasing non-refundable tickets, selling your home, or quitting your job, until after your visa is actually approved and issued to you.

Once you acquire the above documents, please email to johannesburgiv@state.gov DS-2001 and DS-160 confirmation page, so an interview date can be scheduled on your behalf.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General, Johannesburg

Edited by VAN2015

9/01/13- Met online 7/10/15- NVC case # assigned **22 days from NOA2**

11/9/13- Met 1st time in person (L) 7/27/15- Case left NVC to South Africa!!!

2/01/14- Met 2nd time in person (L) 7/28/15- Case "ready"

9/01/14- Met 3rd time in person (L) 7/31/15- Consulate received

5/11/15- Mailed I-129F 8/4/15- Packet 3 received by email

5/19/15- NOA1--- Got routed to CSC!!! :dancing: 8/7/15- Sent Packet 3

5/22/15- File "touched" 8/7/15- Packet 4 received by email!

5/27/15- Our baby was born (L) 9/7- 9/8- Medical

6/18/15- NOA2!!!! Email notification at 21:30 Central Time **30 days from NOA1** 9/17/15- Interview!!! APPROVED :luv:

9/28/15- Visa in hand

9/29/15- US Entry---- Finally!!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
Hello,
He can start the DS 160 now if he wants. Once he starts it, he has 30 days to finish it.
You only have to email them DS-2001 and the DS-160 confirmation page. I dont think they ever sent me DS-2001, we just googled it and found a blank copy of the form.
Good luck!
I will copy and paste what they sent for packet 3 below:

Dear

Case no:

Please note that your petition has been approved and the immigrant visa process may begin.

You need to complete the following forms:

- DS-160 (Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application) - http://ceac.state.gov/genniv/)

- Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support (from the petitioner)

Required documents (Where applicable):

• Valid passport

• Passport size photographs in color on white background

• Long-form Birth certificate or Unabridged Birth Certificate (A South African birth certificate must be computer-generated, hand-written birth certificate will NOT be accepted)

• Police certificate/s (You may need to obtain a police certificate for South Africa or another Country that you have been in, for a period of six months or longer)

• Military Record/Certificate: Required only if you have previously served in the military, i.e. prior to 1994, or furnish proof that you were exempt from this requirement.

• Evidence of financial support from the petitioner (I-134 and supporting documents)

• Evidence of relationship

• DS-160 confirmation page

• Death Certificate: Death certificate of spouse if applicable.

• Divorce Decree(s): if applicable ALL Decrees of any previous marriages

• Medical(s): PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR X-RAY PLATES. Information will follow once you have all the required documents

Fees: The visa application fee is $265.00, which will ONLY be payable at the interview.

Please note that you must be interviewed within four-months of receipt of petition at US Consulate General, Johannesburg.

K-1 visa processing times vary. There may be unexpected ineligibilities that become apparent only at the time of your interview which require additional time and processing. For this reason, you should not make any irrevocable arrangements, such as purchasing non-refundable tickets, selling your home, or quitting your job, until after your visa is actually approved and issued to you.

Once you acquire the above documents, please email to johannesburgiv@state.gov DS-2001 and DS-160 confirmation page, so an interview date can be scheduled on your behalf.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General, Johannesburg

About how long did it take from the nvc shipping it to Joberg for it to get signed in and the email sent? It will be almost two weeks I know that doesn't seem long but im just getting anxious I just want to make sure it is there and get a date as soon as possible. Also not sure if you would know it does say 265 in the email you received and when I was looking online it mentioned 350 at the interview not including medical and such. Do you know if this went up at all?

Would anyone know by chance also if there is a number we can call them at to see if it is even arrived yet just to make sure it got there?

Thank you!

About how long did it take from the nvc shipping it to Joberg for it to get signed in and the email sent? It will be almost two weeks I know that doesn't seem long but im just getting anxious I just want to make sure it is there and get a date as soon as possible. Also not sure if you would know it does say 265 in the email you received and when I was looking online it mentioned 350 at the interview not including medical and such. Do you know if this went up at all?

Would anyone know by chance also if there is a number we can call them at to see if it is even arrived yet just to make sure it got there?

Thank you!

If you take a look at my timeline it will show you approximately how long it should take. 2 weeks does seem a bit long.

NVC Left : 2015-10-23 Consulate Received : 2015-10-29 Packet 3 Received : 2015-11-04 Packet 3 Sent : 2015-11-05 Packet 4 Received : 2015-11-06 Interview Date : 2015-12-10

If it has left the NVC you should call them and get your case number.

NVC numbers: +16033340700 or +16033340888

Once you get your case number you can check your status at https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ under Check my visa status

It will either say in transit (meaning en route to embassy) or Ready (meaning it has been received by the embassy).

If it says ready, i would call the embassy to find out if they have received your package 011 290 3000

When you call, the menu will give you many options which ultimately ends with them saying you should email them. However if you press 0 you will eventually speak to a person who will transfer you to the relevant people. You must have your case number that you received from the NVC or else they won't help you.

I did that and finally got through to someone who said they had my case and that i would receive an email (Packet 3) from them shortly. I received it the next day. I sent back the the packet the day after receiving it and got Packet 4 and my interview date the next day.

Typically interviews are scheduled for the next month. In packet 4 they will tell you how much the fee is $265.

Once you get Packet 4 you can schedule your medical exam.

Hope this helps.

ROC

Timeline

If you take a look at my timeline it will show you approximately how long it should take. 2 weeks does seem a bit long.

NVC Left : 2015-10-23 Consulate Received : 2015-10-29 Packet 3 Received : 2015-11-04 Packet 3 Sent : 2015-11-05 Packet 4 Received : 2015-11-06 Interview Date : 2015-12-10

If it has left the NVC you should call them and get your case number.

NVC numbers: +16033340700 or +16033340888

Once you get your case number you can check your status at https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ under Check my visa status

It will either say in transit (meaning en route to embassy) or Ready (meaning it has been received by the embassy).

If it says ready, i would call the embassy to find out if they have received your package 011 290 3000

When you call, the menu will give you many options which ultimately ends with them saying you should email them. However if you press 0 you will eventually speak to a person who will transfer you to the relevant people. You must have your case number that you received from the NVC or else they won't help you.

I did that and finally got through to someone who said they had my case and that i would receive an email (Packet 3) from them shortly. I received it the next day. I sent back the the packet the day after receiving it and got Packet 4 and my interview date the next day.

Typically interviews are scheduled for the next month. In packet 4 they will tell you how much the fee is $265.

Once you get Packet 4 you can schedule your medical exam.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I called them before and got our case number and we keep trying to check everyday sadly still nothing. My fiance tried to call as well and told us the same thing you said email them because they don't have anything to do with the k1 over the phone. Sadly but I will try to email them, anything at this point. I was just worried about the fee it seemed funny to have it listed at 350 esp on the embassy website.

Thank you! I called them before and got our case number and we keep trying to check everyday sadly still nothing. My fiance tried to call as well and told us the same thing you said email them because they don't have anything to do with the k1 over the phone. Sadly but I will try to email them, anything at this point. I was just worried about the fee it seemed funny to have it listed at 350 esp on the embassy website.

Try calling them again and press 0, you will speak to someone.

Emailing is not bad because they are actually really good with replying to emails. I've emailed them 3 times about various issues and had a response the very next day each time.

Good luck.

ROC

Timeline

Try calling them again and press 0, you will speak to someone.

Emailing is not bad because they are actually really good with replying to emails. I've emailed them 3 times about various issues and had a response the very next day each time.

Good luck.

Thank you I will try tomorrow since they are probably closed with the time difference. What was the email that you used to contact them I am finding so many on the website and don't want it to end up in the junk folder somewhere for being the wrong one. Thank you for your help having someone who went through this already has been a big help!

Thank you I will try tomorrow since they are probably closed with the time difference. What was the email that you used to contact them I am finding so many on the website and don't want it to end up in the junk folder somewhere for being the wrong one. Thank you for your help having someone who went through this already has been a big help!

Not a problem, you're not too far behind us in the process.

Their email is JohannesburgIV@state.gov

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.