Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Eric The Wait

Proof Of Termination Of Marriage: Japanese Divorce At City Hall (Ward Office) Not In A Court

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My fiancé is a permanent legal resident in Japan. She is a South Korean Citizen, but has lived in Japan for 30 years. She was previously married to a Japanese Citizen.
My fiancé was divorced in Japan 5 years ago through a purely administrative process. There is no Court decree. She obtained consent of ex-husband to divorce and filed it with the City Office and obtained the divorce. This type of Divorce is legal in Japan.
In the United States all divorces must go through a judicial process, not merely an administrative process. In other words, in United States one can only get divorced through a Court. It is my understanding administrative divorces such as a Japanese style Ward Office (City Hall) type divorces are not recognized here in the United States.
The I-129f requires proof of final termination of marriage by a divorce decree.
My question is this: For purposes of the I-129f will the Ward Office (City Hall) Divorce my fiancé obtained in Japan be considered acceptable such that my fiancé meets the "free to marry" requirement for getting a K1 Visa?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Maria4Garrett for your answer. I couldn't confirm whether beneficiaries from Japan with this type of divorce were able to get approved and receive the NOA2. I am still at the NOA1 stage. With the 1-129f we sent in only the ex-husband's family register which references the Divorce. I think we may get an RFE requesting something more so my fiancé just obtained the Certificate of Acceptance of Divorce from the City Ward where the divorce was filed. I was told to wait for the RFE before sending that in.
Anyway, I hope they consider her "free to marry" and thanks again.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.