mike48084

Starting K-1 Visa Process Questions

1 post in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi,

I am just starting the K-1 visa process. After reading the information on the USCIS website and on this website, I still have a few basic questions that I would like to confirm so I do not make a mistake.

Firstly, I will give some background to my situation. I am a US born US citizen and have been living in Japan since September, 2011. I am here on a Japanese work visa working as an engineer at a Japanese company. I have first met my now fiance, who is Japanese, in May, 2013 through mutual friends in Japan. Due to work, I am planning on moving back to the US in September this year. Sometime next year in March to May timeframe, my finance is planning to move to the US and we are planning to get married.

With regards to the filing of the I-129F, I have the following questions:

1. What evidence would I show to prove that we met in the past two years. Of course, since I am living in Japan, we have been seeing each other every few days for over the past two years. Would just showing 5 to 10 photos and my Japanese residence card be enough? Should I also copy every page of my passport?

2. Since I will be returning to the US in September, I am thinking that it would be easier if I use my American address on the I-129F. I can send it to the USCIS drop box from Japan via my family in the US. Even though I am currently in Japan, would it be okay to use my American address for the mailing address in 2?

3. In line 28, it asks for where the finance intends to live. Once my finance moves to the US, we will probably move into a new place. Currently we do not know where we will live. Therefore, in this case, can I just put my current American address?

4. In line 34a, it asks for the circumstances under which you met. I just want to confirm what they are looking for in the question. Would it be acceptable to answer the following? “While I was working as an expatriate in Japan, we first met through mutual friends in Japan in May, 2013.”

5. For the photo-copy of the birth certificate does it have to be in color? Or, if it is a legible black and white copy, would that be fine too?

6. Is it necessary to show proof of a ongoing relationship in the initial filing of the I-129F?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.