1voice1life

Question about tax transcripts for 2014

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey everyone! I just had a question as I'm preparing and getting ready to send out the IV and AOS package to NVC. I just have my 2011,2012, and 2013 tax transcripts to send. I wasn't employed in 2014 as I was living with my husband that year. I was wondering if I should try and send for the 2014 tax transcripts or if it will even be worth it. I wasn't even sure if since I wasn't employed and didn't send for taxes if it would show up on the transcripts or just show up as $0. Thanks.

Timeline

I also forgot to mention that I did include a letter saying that I didn't pay taxes as I wasn't employed and was living with my husband overseas. I just recently moved back to the USA.

Filed: Timeline

Where you were living is irrelevant. The requirements to file are the same for US citizens living in the US or abroad. The only way you can not file is if your income was less than the filing threshold for that year. At the beginning of each year's Form 1040 instructions it lists the conditions under which you must file. So don't say that stuff about you not being employed and living overseas; just say your income was below the threshold so you didn't have to file, if that was the case.

Timeline

Yes I saw on the 1040 instructions that if you were married but separate and made less than $3950, then you did not need to file. So I should just write an explanation along with the package that I was not required to file? I was just concerned about getting a checklist if I didn't include 2014.

Timeline

So I will just include a letter saying about being below the threshold for filing 2014 taxes and that's why it's not included with the other tax transcripts. Also when I did try to order 2014 transcripts it says

" A transcript is not available for the year you have requested. Please complete Form 4506-T or contact us at www.irs.gov.

Married Filing Jointly?

If you filed jointly with your spouse, tax account data is listed under the social security number of the primary taxpayer shown on your tax return."

My main concern was that maybe I would get a checklist for not including 2014. But apparently I can't order 2014's anyways, so the letter should be good enough?

Edited by 1voice1life

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.