Dominic_12

US Citizen not resident in US - I-134

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I'm a US Citizen (born in the US) but have lived the majority of my life in Ireland. I have planned to move to Philadelphia next summer with my girlfriend and wanted to get started with the K-1 application process.

One problem I keep coming up against is the I-134 Affidavit of Support. The problem I am having is due to the fact that I have lived in Ireland most of my life and therefore have no income or assets in the US. I have family in Philadelphia however I don't want to pressure them to look at co-sponsorship. I'm currently employed in Ireland and have enough in savings to support both myself and my girlfriend for quite a while if we were to move.

Am I able to use my savings in Ireland to show that I have enough to support us both?

Could I open an account in the US and transfer my savings from Ireland to the US?

If I managed to get a job after heading out there US on my own, could I immediately complete the I-134 application as the sponsor? Or do I need to show income from the last 3 years? I don't to be apart from my girlfriend for any considerable length of time.

Are there any other options for me?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, I'm just lost in all the information I've come across so far.

Dominic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Your best bet really is to get a co sponsor.

You could transfer your assets over, but what they need to see is income - so, a regular contribution/deposit into an account. You could have enough savings for the both of you, but unless they're substantial (& I don't think there's a specific dollar amount to that), it might not be enough proof.

K1

Nov 7, 2013 - i-129f mailed to Dallas Lockbox

Nov 16, 2013 - noa 1 received

feb 20, 2014 - noa 2 approved

march 5, 2014 - case number assigned at NVC

march 14, 2014 - case received by local embassy

april 4, 2014 - interview

may 1, 2014 - visa in hand

june 13, 2014 - POE: Boston

AOS

Aug 1, 2014 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Aug 6, 2014 - NOA1

Aug 19, 2014 - Biometrics appointment for AOS & EAD

Sept 29, 2014 - EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Mid-Nov - Potential Waiver of Interview letter received

End of May 2015 - renewed my EAD/AP, got the NOA1 and another letter stating that I don't need to do biometrics appt.

June 11, 2015 - welcome to America letter! (no interview...no service request..)

June 16, 2015 - green card in hand

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi Dominic,

1. U.S. citizens are taxed on their worldwide income regardless of where it's earned. You will need to file US tax returns for the last three years if you hade income in those years. You will unlikely owe any taxes if you earned less than $90,000 in any year. You must meet your obligation to file US tax return to petition for a fiancée or spouse. (You need to meet this obligation even if you have a Joint Sponsor - see 3 below).

2. Nothing in U.S. immigration is immediate. Many of us have been separated from family for years.

3. You will need a Joint Sponsor who can meet the financial obligations in the I-864 Affidavit of Support. A new job is unlikely to qualify on your own for the I-864. It's not simply meeting the 125% poverty line. How long you had the job and how reliable is the income are considered. A short work history is not considered reliable in many cases.

Best of luck

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Timeline

Hi Dominic,

1. U.S. citizens are taxed on their worldwide income regardless of where it's earned. You will need to file US tax returns for the last three years if you hade income in those years. You will unlikely owe any taxes if you earned less than $90,000 in any year. You must meet your obligation to file US tax return to petition for a fiancée or spouse. (You need to meet this obligation even if you have a Joint Sponsor - see 3 below).

2. Nothing in U.S. immigration is immediate. Many of us have been separated from family for years.

3. You will need a Joint Sponsor who can meet the financial obligations in the I-864 Affidavit of Support. A new job is unlikely to qualify on your own for the I-864. It's not simply meeting the 125% poverty line. How long you had the job and how reliable is the income are considered. A short work history is not considered reliable in many cases.

Best of luck

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for that. A lot to think about but it's starting to get a bit clearer now.

Just wondering if the US tax return is applicable to I-134 as well?

Thanks again for your help!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for that. A lot to think about but it's starting to get a bit clearer now.

Just wondering if the US tax return is applicable to I-134 as well?

Thanks again for your help!

It does. If you want the privilege for your fiancée/wife to live in the U.S., then you need to meet your obligation to file US tax returns.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.