TrappedNJapan

Can you give me feedback on my I-130 cover letter please?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I think I am nearing compleition of my I-130 packet. Just typed up a rough draft of a cover letter based off a few examples from here and there. Please give me feedback. The G-1145 says DIRECTLY on the form to place this form "on the top". Some lists actually have it LAST. Very frustrating.

What is the best order? Check (fee) 1st, Cover letter 2nd, G-1145 next?

I believe the passport style photos need to be attached to the G-325As.

I have two question marks under evidence of Bona Fide Marriage beucase I am not sure if I can find them or if I need them. In Japan you can NOT have joint bank accounts. You can only have one name on a lease. All bills have to go the person who is on the lease. Very frustrating. So we have none of that. But we are required to register our residence with the goverment, which we do have a copy of, and both of our list the same address.

Question: Do we need to include in the evidence a letter explaining our relationship history, marriage, and future plans or is my brief explanation in the cover letter enough?

Okay here is my cover letter:

June 31st, 2015

My Full Name

My permanent address in Japan

XXXXXXX@gmail.com

USCIS

Attn: I-130

131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

To Whom It May Concern:

Please find enclosed my Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative on behalf of my wife, XXXX XXXX.

Please note that I am currently living with my wife in XXXX, Japan on a spousal visa. There is no Direct Consular Filing in Japan; therefore I am filing my I-130 Petition with the USCIS. On my application, I have listed my current address in Japan that I co-reside with my wife. I am currently in the process of finding employment in the USA. Our final permanent address is yet to be determined; however I still maintain a domicile in the USA in XXXXX, XXXXX, where my parents, XXXXX and XXXX XXXX, currently reside. Photos have been included as evidence of our bona fide marriage. They have been labeled with a brief description, time, and location. The locations of the pictures taken will coincide with the stamps in my passport. Please note that my wife and I got legally married at the local city hall in February of 2012. Because of timing issues we went on our honeymoon to XXXXX (July of 2012) before the wedding ceremony in XXXXX, USA (August of 2012), followed by a final wedding party in XXXXX, Japan (November of (2012).

Included are the following documents:

Personal check in the amount of $420

G-1145

I-130

G-325A (for petitioner) with passport style photo

G-325A (for beneficiary) with passport style photo

Copy of petitioner’s US passport

Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage:

s Certified copy of marriage certificate from Japan (w/ translation)

s Certified copy of beneficiary’s divorce document from a previous marriage (w/ translation)

s Certified copy of proof of co-residence (w/ translation)

s Photographs of our ongoing marriage

s ?Copies of airplane interties of trip taken together

s ?Copy of mail received at the same address

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this matter.

Respectfully,

(sign here)

My Full Name

Social Security Number: ***-**-****

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I put the cover letter first, with the check on top. I think as long as everything is in there and easy to find, the order probably isn't enough to get your forms sent back.

You have more than I did for evidence of bona fide marriage. I had our koseki, photos, two notarized letters from a friend and a family member about our relationship, and an itinerary from my husband's trip to America to meet my family. That was fine. I didn't bother explaining our marriage or relationship, either, though it was already explained in the letters somewhat.

Those letters were probably overkill and you won't need them, but if makes you feel better you could get one from someone who has been witness to your relationship. A letter from you won't be worth much more than what you've already written.

Generally speaking, though, Japan is not a high-fraud country so they'll be very easy on you. What you have is almost certainly enough. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.