beijingjim

CR-1 Bangkok Embassy 221(g)

29 posts in this topic

Well, I certainly appreciate your replies and thank you for sharing your experiences! However, we cannot wait 6 weeks because that will invalidate the medical and make my husband illegal in Thailand, and I do not really understand some of the comments. Nevertheless, thank you beijingjim for starting this thread! I am so glad I found it, and I'm just going to float this out there because it may help others wading through the murky 221(g) waters:

Malaysian Certificate of Good Conduct (Police Check)

The US Embassy could (and should) have known about the problem with the Malaysian Certificate of Good Conduct - because we submitted a letter with the Packet 3 documents which included a screen shot of the apology posted on that government’s website stating that Malaysia was not issuing them at all. We also clearly stated that my spouse had never had a “Long Term Social Visit Pass,” the requirement on the (old) Malaysian website for obtaining the Certificate. In the same letter, we furthermore asked the US IV Unit for guidance or a reply on what to do, or if this was going to be requested. That was in March. No one replied, and no one mentioned it until the interview (June). THEN they said it was required: voila' our 221(g). :goofy:

Thai Immigration Issue/ Passport

My husband’s Thai visa will expire at the end of July, at which point it will be illegal for him to stay here (because he is Korean and not Thai). In addition, we have, in fact, been stopped by the police 4 times in the 2 and ½ years that we have lived here; and every time they asked for our passports. It was always when we were driving somewhere. There are frequent and random traffic stops. I have never had a ticket (or paid a bribe), but it is VERY common to be asked for your passport. You typically cannot check into a hotel, conduct any banking business, change your phone service, rent a car, etc. if you are not Thai and do not have your passport. If my husband’s mother falls ill, he will not be able to leave immediately and visit her in Korea. It is my understanding that we will have to write to the embassy, and they will mail him his passport. He was told that except for at interviews, all docs are now sent via mail.

Medical Exam

My husband’s medical exam validity will expire August 8, after which he will not be able to enter the US without repeating the medical exam – a process which took almost 2 months because the doctor required sputum TB tests (which were all clear). When sputum tests are required, the medical takes 2 months to complete and is then only valid for 3 months (not 6). After that, it must be repeated.

Summary

After July 27, it will be illegal for him to stay in Thailand when his visa expires. He will be fined by the day for any overstay. After August 8, he will no longer be able to enter the US without repeating his medical (which takes 2 months to complete). Meanwhile, no one has answered our email to the IV Unit asking how we are supposed to handle this.

So, I suppose we will have to hope that our case is processed sooner rather than later. Failing that, we’ll have to a) try to figure out how to get him another Thai visa, b) repeat the medical, and c) wait several months.

I am writing this to express my discontent but also to ask people with *recent experience* about the timeline for processing a 221(g). In addition, perhaps our experience will provide some insight for people going through this process in the near future. ...Incidentally, the doc list for Packet 4 was also changed sometime at the end of May 2015 just before his interview on June 8 – meaning we really had to scramble to get my husband’s military records and US travel history (neither of which was on the old document list). Moral of the story: IMHO check again, and again, and again – but it’s a game you can never be sure you’ll “win” the first time – because the rules are always changing in the middle of play.

All the best,

SJK

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well, I certainly appreciate your replies and thank you for sharing your experiences! However, we cannot wait 6 weeks because that will invalidate the medical and make my husband illegal in Thailand, and I do not really understand some of the comments. Nevertheless, thank you beijingjim for starting this thread! I am so glad I found it, and I'm just going to float this out there because it may help others wading through the murky 221(g) waters:

Malaysian Certificate of Good Conduct (Police Check)

The US Embassy could (and should) have known about the problem with the Malaysian Certificate of Good Conduct - because we submitted a letter with the Packet 3 documents which included a screen shot of the apology posted on that government’s website stating that Malaysia was not issuing them at all. We also clearly stated that my spouse had never had a “Long Term Social Visit Pass,” the requirement on the (old) Malaysian website for obtaining the Certificate. In the same letter, we furthermore asked the US IV Unit for guidance or a reply on what to do, or if this was going to be requested. That was in March. No one replied, and no one mentioned it until the interview (June). THEN they said it was required: voila' our 221(g). :goofy:

Thai Immigration Issue/ Passport

My husband’s Thai visa will expire at the end of July, at which point it will be illegal for him to stay here (because he is Korean and not Thai). In addition, we have, in fact, been stopped by the police 4 times in the 2 and ½ years that we have lived here; and every time they asked for our passports. It was always when we were driving somewhere. There are frequent and random traffic stops. I have never had a ticket (or paid a bribe), but it is VERY common to be asked for your passport. You typically cannot check into a hotel, conduct any banking business, change your phone service, rent a car, etc. if you are not Thai and do not have your passport. If my husband’s mother falls ill, he will not be able to leave immediately and visit her in Korea. It is my understanding that we will have to write to the embassy, and they will mail him his passport. He was told that except for at interviews, all docs are now sent via mail.

Medical Exam

My husband’s medical exam validity will expire August 8, after which he will not be able to enter the US without repeating the medical exam – a process which took almost 2 months because the doctor required sputum TB tests (which were all clear). When sputum tests are required, the medical takes 2 months to complete and is then only valid for 3 months (not 6). After that, it must be repeated.

Summary

After July 27, it will be illegal for him to stay in Thailand when his visa expires. He will be fined by the day for any overstay. After August 8, he will no longer be able to enter the US without repeating his medical (which takes 2 months to complete). Meanwhile, no one has answered our email to the IV Unit asking how we are supposed to handle this.

So, I suppose we will have to hope that our case is processed sooner rather than later. Failing that, we’ll have to a) try to figure out how to get him another Thai visa, b) repeat the medical, and c) wait several months.

I am writing this to express my discontent but also to ask people with *recent experience* about the timeline for processing a 221(g). In addition, perhaps our experience will provide some insight for people going through this process in the near future. ...Incidentally, the doc list for Packet 4 was also changed sometime at the end of May 2015 just before his interview on June 8 – meaning we really had to scramble to get my husband’s military records and US travel history (neither of which was on the old document list). Moral of the story: IMHO check again, and again, and again – but it’s a game you can never be sure you’ll “win” the first time – because the rules are always changing in the middle of play.

All the best,

SJK

Has he tried calling the embassy? He can buy a special pin number at any Thai post office that allows X calls directly to the I V unit. Unless that has changed. Try it. He needs to tell them about his pending overstay & that expense ect.

The info I have on this 221 subject was found right here on V J or in cases I directly helped with. One of those took 4 months. In the recent past there have been 221 g cases with a single doc problem that took two weeks. One was reviewed & issued in 3 days. The reaction time has to do with time of year due to work load, holidays ect.

I don't see why this would take much longer in your case.

As far as a extended Thai visa there are several things to try but I think he would have to have his passport back. I hope you don't need to get involved in that really. Is there a Thai immigration office near you?

Thank you, Ning. You are very kind. :luv: I'll ask tomorrow about the possibility of calling with a special PIN. I'm not hopeful because the IV unit seems to want all communication handled via email and all documents handled via mail, but I will try.

I too sincerely hope we don't have to go through more Thai immigration just to keep him here long enough to finish this US immigration process. We live in Bangkok, and right now the best place to go for visas is Laos (Savannaket or Ventianne), and the only Bangkok immigration office domestically is Chaeng Wattana. My last visit there to extend my visa involved a 7 hour wait, but that's a whole other thread!

Tomorrow's another day. Will be checking that CEAC site again every 30 minutes for a status update. :sleepy:

Timeline

Thank you, Ning. You are very kind. :luv: I'll ask tomorrow about the possibility of calling with a special PIN. I'm not hopeful because the IV unit seems to want all communication handled via email and all documents handled via mail, but I will try.

I too sincerely hope we don't have to go through more Thai immigration just to keep him here long enough to finish this US immigration process. We live in Bangkok, and right now the best place to go for visas is Laos (Savannaket or Ventianne), and the only Bangkok immigration office domestically is Chaeng Wattana. My last visit there to extend my visa involved a 7 hour wait, but that's a whole other thread!

Tomorrow's another day. Will be checking that CEAC site again every 30 minutes for a status update. :sleepy:

I should tell you my own case took a very long 408 days so I understand frustration especially with getting what seems to be simple important info.

I know the embassy wants the emails but in reality it was they that created the phone call method but while not a secret wasn't known by many. Last time I know it was in operation was quite awhile back but you will soon know.

I have been to all of those places getting my husband a series of visas. I read recently there is a new immigration office in Udon Thani. I think its in or very near the airport. I read it is well run & efficient . Could that be? I grew up there so if you need help there let me know.

As a last resort you as a USC can ask the American consulate section for assistance. They will probably say they don't get involved in visa issues. My husband communicated with a duty officer & deputy director with success. Email them indicating the impact on you as the USC trapped in Thailand or something like that.

Good news! We finally got a reply to our email today, and 2 status updates.

The status is now listed as "READY". From what I've seen, we should be just a couple of days away from the visa being issued and mailed! :dance:

Therefore, in the way of timeline information, our 221(g) - which involved a request for one police report - has taken this long to process:

June 8 interview and 221(g) issued for one police report and passport

June 17 police report and passport mailed

June 19 documents arrived at embassy

June 22, 30 date changes but still "AP"

July 8 date change, still "AP"

July 8 CEAC status changed to "READY"

Now, we're waiting with fingers crossed for the all-important change to "ISSUED". :dancing:

Timeline

Good news! We finally got a reply to our email today, and 2 status updates.

The status is now listed as "READY". From what I've seen, we should be just a couple of days away from the visa being issued and mailed! :dance:

Therefore, in the way of timeline information, our 221(g) - which involved a request for one police report - has taken this long to process:

June 8 interview and 221(g) issued for one police report and passport

June 17 police report and passport mailed

June 19 documents arrived at embassy

June 22, 30 date changes but still "AP"

July 8 date change, still "AP"

July 8 CEAC status changed to "READY"

Now, we're waiting with fingers crossed for the all-important change to "ISSUED". :dancing:

Excellent news. Its too bad these things take so long to resolve especially when its something such as we saw here.

I wonder if they would allow him to come in to pick up his passport when the visa has been inserted ? I know this has been done in cases I helped with here & in my own case.

Timeline

I so badly hope that we are close to this date of approval.. Just absolutely wearing us down something horrible.

Jim this has to be finished soon. We see right here that the other case took a quantum leap forward & so will yours. I suppose returning after the 4th seems to have allowed them to get on these AP cases. I have read that these cases are monitored for progress until they are approved or rejected. Yours shows no indication of rejection for info ect so it must be in line to be completed any time.

I swear this site is better than a psychiatrist. The helpful comments ease my mind. Thank you everyone for all of your contribution here with my case and everyone elses.

Beijingjim (and anybody else out there),

All I can say is to hang in there. It ain't easy! This process can tear you apart psychologically.

We got a couple of updates yesterday in CEAC and "ISSUED" just a few minutes ago today, July 10th. It looks like we'll have to wait for the mail, then book our flights ASAP.

Good luck everybody,

SJK

Timeline

I swear this site is better than a psychiatrist. The helpful comments ease my mind. Thank you everyone for all of your contribution here with my case and everyone elses.

Jim I have wondered what happened in your case. I hope so much that everything is worked out by now. Please let us know when you can. There are several cases that are in limbo like this as you know.

If there is still a problem it may be linked to this time of year because of the high volume of student cases. The embassy works on those on different days than immigration based visas but the work load must cause delays.

Still nothing in terms of approval. I have contacted the congresswoman of our state, because I couldnt even get a response from them.

They responded the other day with this information.

Remember:

Interview: 06-22
Documents Sent: 06-23
Documents Received by Embassy: 06-24
Documents In the Hands of Case Worker: 07-1

==========
MESSAGE FROM IVU

We confirm receipt of documents on July 1. Please be aware that minimum days for processing of INA 212(g) cases is 14 days.

We will review the documents that were submitted. The case remains under administrative processing.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visas Unit

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

===========

So now I wonder how much longer. I would hate to be here another month. Dont get me wrong Thailand is great, but I have to pay another month rent, and still everything is held up back home. Wife is getting further into pregnancy and soon it will be a problem to fly. Then we have to wait till the baby is born, and then wait until the baby can handle a 20 plus hour flight. I mean really #######? Students vs pregnant woman of US Citizen? We are really going to be up creek.

Timeline

Still nothing in terms of approval. I have contacted the congresswoman of our state, because I couldnt even get a response from them.

They responded the other day with this information.

Remember:

Interview: 06-22

Documents Sent: 06-23

Documents Received by Embassy: 06-24

Documents In the Hands of Case Worker: 07-1

==========

MESSAGE FROM IVU

We confirm receipt of documents on July 1. Please be aware that minimum days for processing of INA 212(g) cases is 14 days.

We will review the documents that were submitted. The case remains under administrative processing.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visas Unit

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

===========

So now I wonder how much longer. I would hate to be here another month. Dont get me wrong Thailand is great, but I have to pay another month rent, and still everything is held up back home. Wife is getting further into pregnancy and soon it will be a problem to fly. Then we have to wait till the baby is born, and then wait until the baby can handle a 20 plus hour flight. I mean really #######? Students vs pregnant woman of US Citizen? We are really going to be up ###### creek.

This has to end soon & I know its frustrating. We went through a very long 408 days ourselves. From that I can tell you it will get done & its very much worth it. Its hard feeling that we know exactly what we need to do & will do only to be stopped or slowed by others. That is exactly why my husband said we would become U S citizens. What a great idea & life we have now.

Jim this will become what you have worked & waited for I am sure.

As far as students if you are responding to something I may have said I hope I was clear about how that may impact other cases in BKK. I know this from my own experience. Student cases interviews are on a different day or days than I V cases. After seeing hundreds of students lined up outside the embassy on several occasions I saw tangible indication of the work load at this time of year. Those same officers are working on many other cases. I think that's the problem with these cases at this time of year.

For what its worth in our case with my husbands efforts inside the embassy, which was allowed at the time, we even were allowed to enter on a Tuesday. In fact they told my husband to pick a day & time so they could issue our visas. The officer even came outside to take a doc from us. Jim I tell you this to help you do see they do at times do what they can to help.

I suggest you try something outside the box which is exactly what my husband did. Contact the duty officer at the consulate section. Its is across the street from the embassy in the high rise on the first floor. They may say they don't get involved ect. Try to get them involved by saying you are in limbo returning from China ect. In our case they did find our case as my husband insisted they try to do. Its worth a shot. He emailed.

• 1 month later...

I've been having a similar-type of situation, since I filed (DCF) for my wife in Bangkok, and my wife is a Philippines citizen who lives with me (a Non-O volunteer) currently on a Thailand tourist visa.

She would have been approved for her visa by now after her interview on June 23, but the Bangkok Embassy said they are waiting for a system override after they were unable to get a good set of fingerprints electronically from her, they tried two times.

See my post here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/562235-rare-situation-in-bangkok-fingerprint-waiver-for-my-wifes-cr-1-visa-dcf/

I hope we can resolve this fingerprint issue before we have to get more visas to stay in Thailand much longer than we planned!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.