Jump to content

Name change during naturalization

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


My wife completed her naturalization (I am just waiting for my oath ceremony). Her naturalization certificate was issued with her married name as she requested. Does that mean she has legally changed her name or is there an additional step?

I read somehwere (but can't find the thread again) that you may still need to apply for a name change in a court. She had a judicial oath ceremony (Houston, may 2015).

If she goes to change her name at the DMV is her certificate enough?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

She can use her marriage certificate as proof of her name change.

She'll need both the marriage certificate and the naturalization certificate at the DPS.

This is assuming the only change was to take her husband's last name or to hyphenate names.

See this thread. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/549894-information-on-name-change-during-naturalization/

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.