olna83

Interview in two weeks - Traffic Ticket Hearing - Please advise

1 post in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello VJs,

My interview is coming in two weeks and I have bad news..

Last year (May, 2014) I received a ticket for improper cell phone usage in NY. I appealed the ticket.and the DMV scheduled my court hearing for November of 2014. After that they re-scheduled it twice - first for January of 2015, the second is forJune of 2015...So I already notified my manager at work about the day off I'm going to take on June 18th (this Thursday) to go to the court and when I started putting together my paperwork I realized I missed the hearing..It was scheduled a Thursday before on June 5th. This is a stupid horrible negligence. I messed up the dates since I booked the day off to go to NY a few times after they kept postponing it.

So today I immediately went to the NY DMV web site, plead guilty and paid the ticket. However, I know that not showing for the hearing leads to an automatic license suspension for driving in NY. In order to lift this suspension I need to pay extra $70. I plan to call NY DMV first thing in the morning and I will try to resolve it asap.

I know for sure that it will be on the driving history by the time of my interview (July, 1). Besides, I have a similar situation that occurred in 2009 when I got a speeding ticket in MA and I didn't show up for the court which was scheduled a year after the violation (not on purpose) - I got married, moved, went for honeymoon...Life got too busy and simply forgot. The notice was sent to the old address...I paid the fee to lift the suspension and 5 years later it happens again.

But speaking of my citizenship application.. Will the fact that I missed the hearing affect my case (bad moral character basis)? Did anyone have to deal with the same type of issue?

Edited by olna83

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.