zuluweta

Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Backs Anti-Gay Bakery In Northern Ireland: I Feel Bad For Them

3 posts in this topic

Patrick Stewart backs bakery after 'gay cake' court battle

The actor and activist said the issue was complex, but believes the bakery should not be forced to write things they disagree with

by Helen Nianias, Independent, June 5, 2015

PatrickStewart022312.jpg?itok=LcH2YSiG

Patrick Stewart has weighed into the 'gay cake' debate, saying that he supports the right of the Christian bakers to refuse to ice messages they find offensive.

Ashers Bakery lost a court case after refusing to make a cake with the words "support gay marriage" above a picture of Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street.

The McArthur family who own the bakery were found guilty of unlawful discrimination and fined £500.

The bakery's general manager Daniel McArthur said: "We don't want to be forced to promote a cause which is against our biblical beliefs. We've had a lot of support from people who disagree with our stance on same-sex marriage. They think that we should have the freedom to decline an order that conflicts with our conscience."

They are set to appeal the decision.

While many celebrated the ruling as a blow for equal rights, Patrick Stewart said that he backed the bakery.

Talking on Newsnight, the actor said: "Finally, I found myself on the side of the bakers."

Stewart argued that nobody should be forced to write specific text that they disagreed with.

"It was not because it was a gay couple that they objected, it was not because they were celebrating some sort of marriage or an agreement between them," said Stewart. "It was the actual words on the cake they objected to. Because they found the words offensive."

He continued: "I would support their rights to say no, this is personally offensive to my beliefs, I will not do it."

Coleen Nolan previously expressed a similar sentiment, although it was perhaps not as carefully worded.

The Loose Women panelist played devil's advocate for the bakery, comparing their reaction to being asked to support gay marriage to a Westerner being asked to ice a cake supporting ISIS.

Link to article - http://tinyurl.com/qer39gv

Edited by zuluweta

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Timeline

Its interesting that bakeries are always at the center of this. I generally agree that a business has no right to discriminate against someone on their sexual orientation. But all businesses should have the right to limit what they write / or create in terms of imagery.

Thats the irony about an earlier thread that had an onion story related to Islam and the US flag. A muslim baker should have the right to not bake an american flag cake.

Edited by Sousuke

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

Its interesting that bakeries are always at the center of this. I generally agree that a business has no right to discriminate against someone on their sexual orientation. But all businesses should have the right to limit what they write / or create in terms of imagery.

Thats the irony about an earlier thread that had an onion story related to Islam and the US flag. A muslim baker should have the right to not bake an american flag cake.

"Its interesting that bakeries are always at the center of this." - hence the so-called cake wars, the new vanguard of the culture wars.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)