TheZilla

How Did You Move Your Stuff?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is there anyone that shipped a goodly amount of household goods? Honey is planning on shipping a good deal. His kitchen equipment is high end, and really is cheaper to ship than to replace(I mean pots and pans, china etc) He's also got a couple of wardrobes he's fairly attached to, which would be ridiculous if I owned a house with closets...but my house has NO closets, and I mean that literally. From what I understand shipping is by volume as opposed to weight so he would be able to fill up the wardrobes with the kitchen stuff.

-12/15/06 Mailed off I-129F

-12/19/06 NOA1 via email

-01/05/07 NOA2 via email

-01/13/07 NVC notice via snail mail

-01/25/07 Packet 3 arrives.

-02/22/07 Packet 3 is mailed.

-03/02/07 Medical

-03/13/07 Packet 4 arrives.

-03/16-24/07 Honey visits.

-04/02/07 Interview(Approved)

-04/10/07 Visa arrives.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello there, didnt know this place existed! Just found my way here and with questions.

All im shipping is my collection of books, dvds and cd's plus a couple of video game systems to keep me occupied while i sit around waiting for a work permit :innocent: .

I so far have packed my stuff into boxes for reams of paper to keep it neat while im sorting it out.

The question i have is mostly towards the cd's and dvd's...i have an extensive DVD collection that is worth over probably £2,000 (200 dvds at about £10 per one average) , i know people say "sell and replace in the states, it's cheaper), but i cant possibly see how that could work out? Same with my cd's?

I basically intend to take my clothes, my fiancée's clothes she left here(not a lot to be honest, i have stuff already out there), dvds and cd's and a couple of video games systems with irreplacable games. Am i doing it right? I know there is no concrete answer but my personal trinkets (photos, birth certificate, important docs, mementos) I figured to put in my suitcase for the plane, a good idea or no?

How ruthless should you be? Cutting down on my dvd's isnt really an option, althouhg i could make some chops here and there. On ebay some of my titles are going for a quid, seems silly to junk them?

Thanks for any advice,

Teddy

How ruthless should you be? Cutting down on my dvd's isnt really an option, althouhg i could make some chops here and there. On ebay some of my titles are going for a quid, seems silly to junk them?

Welcome to VJ,

CD's can be trimmed by putting them into the flexible binders (with the artwork) and the plastice cases left behind - saves weight and bulk. Or - in all the spare time waiting - can RIP them to MP3 and bring them any way you like.

DVDs

Near and dear to my heart - for me, it's not just the actual cost, but the time it took to find them all. I'd bring them all. Dont forget to look for a Region Free DVD player when you get here if that applies. It would take me a long time to replace my collection - if I even could. And like you said, they don't fetch much on Ebay.

Best of luck to everyone...

Hello there, didnt know this place existed! Just found my way here and with questions.

All im shipping is my collection of books, dvds and cd's plus a couple of video game systems to keep me occupied while i sit around waiting for a work permit :innocent: .

I so far have packed my stuff into boxes for reams of paper to keep it neat while im sorting it out.

The question i have is mostly towards the cd's and dvd's...i have an extensive DVD collection that is worth over probably £2,000 (200 dvds at about £10 per one average) , i know people say "sell and replace in the states, it's cheaper), but i cant possibly see how that could work out? Same with my cd's?

I basically intend to take my clothes, my fiancée's clothes she left here(not a lot to be honest, i have stuff already out there), dvds and cd's and a couple of video games systems with irreplacable games. Am i doing it right? I know there is no concrete answer but my personal trinkets (photos, birth certificate, important docs, mementos) I figured to put in my suitcase for the plane, a good idea or no?

Thanks for any advice,

Teddy

As nice as it is to ship all your DVDs, like you say some of the titles are going for a quid on ebay and therefore could be replaced for the same cost if you really wanted to get them back. How likely are you to watch all 200 titles on an ongoing basis? I had the largest CD collection of anyone I knew and basically realised that I listened to probably one quarter of it. Simply sold three quarters on ebay or gave to friends and family. People really believe they need all these things and I think the main reason is that you paid for the DVDs and they are a "collection". Its human nature then to be convinced that you absolutely must have all of it despite whether or not you actually watch half of them. I know people who shipped large volumes of goods, and most of those things still sit in unopened boxes in garages and attics. I was so ruthless when I moved and as I said earlier in this thread, came here with two large suitcases and two cats (not in suitcases!). Just keep the sentimental things that cannot be replaced, heirlooms, photos, jewellery, etc. As for whether you should carry trinkets and ID documents in your case, the answer is definitely NO. Carry all irreplacable paperwork with you in a binder or such, and the very personal items too. Only pack in a case what you can risk losing!!

Timeline

Thanks,

just a thought though, if you have people coming out for your wedding, and they are allowed a suitcase allocation of two per person, is there any tips for getting them to take stuff for you? Or is this a no no?

Thanks Again,

Teddy

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

DVDs ~ Yes you can get a region free DVD player...but ALL the TVs are NTSC compatible ONLY in the USA. Ergo, your picture will look all funny...

You'll be resigned to playing them on the PC.

Edited by mags

Thanks,

just a thought though, if you have people coming out for your wedding, and they are allowed a suitcase allocation of two per person, is there any tips for getting them to take stuff for you? Or is this a no no?

Thanks Again,

Teddy

As long as they packed it themselves - at least opened and know whats inside there should be no problems. Its a good idea to shuttle some items that way as long as no one minds. Great for off season clothes.

DVDs ~ Yes you can get a region free DVD player...but ALL the TVs are NTSC compatible ONLY in the USA. Ergo, your picture will look all funny...

I can play UK DVDs on our TV. We have some thingamy wotist plugged in the back that enables it to play any region fuzz free. I'll ask the ole man what it is as I'm not a gadget freak. The DVD region free player was actually a free piece of ####### that came with a credit card, though there are plenty of other methods to make your DVD region free... :whistle:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Its human nature then to be convinced that you absolutely must have all of it despite whether or not you actually watch half of them. I know people who shipped large volumes of goods, and most of those things still sit in unopened boxes in garages and attics. I was so ruthless when I moved and as I said earlier in this thread, came here with two large suitcases and two cats (not in suitcases!). Just keep the sentimental things that cannot be replaced, heirlooms, photos, jewellery, etc.

Wise words. :thumbs:

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

Timeline

I can play UK DVDs on our TV. We have some thingamy wotist plugged in the back that enables it to play any region fuzz free. I'll ask the ole man what it is as I'm not a gadget freak. The DVD region free player was actually a free piece of ####### that came with a credit card, though there are plenty of other methods to make your DVD region free... :whistle:

Ooooh yes, please ask the old gadget man what it is!

:lol:

Ooooh yes, please ask the old gadget man what it is!

:lol:

Ok, shows how much I know...

The thingy that is plugged in the back is because our TV is so old it didn't have a socket for a DVD player. :whistle: Try RadioCrap and ask them what to do...there all sorts of gizmos and gadgets to plug in for that kind of thing. I've never heard of people having trouble viewing them. Otherwise a bit of googling will come up trumps.

Timeline

I've just done a (very) quick search and the converter things cost something in the region of $300! Worthwhile if you have TONS of DVD's but not for my very limited collection.

I shall just stick to watching them on the PC!!

Timeline
I've just done a (very) quick search and the converter things cost something in the region of $300! Worthwhile if you have TONS of DVD's but not for my very limited collection.

erm, i have watched Region 2 dvds on a NTSC region free ntsc player at my fiancée's? it's the appliance not the discs that are important? Im not taking my player..just the discs.

i WILL have that problem with my xbox, but i figure on buying a tv that supports NTSC and PAL.

cheers

Teddy

Timeline
i WILL have that problem with my xbox, but i figure on buying a tv that supports NTSC and PAL.

cheers

Teddy

That's the point. You can only buy them on import. The average USA shop only stocks NTSC compatible TVs.

That's a pain! I guess having a knackered old telly is desirable after all. If you wander over to BE and ask they may have some ideas of what to do as I'm sure there is a way around $300, and I've never read anyone having trouble over there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.