ed1400

Would you work abroad 6 months while spouse on conditional PR?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some advice here before having to consult a lawyer. Here's my dilemma: I got a pretty cool opportunity to work in France for about 6 months (starting in next couple months and coming back around end of the year). My wife and I were ready to jump at the chance and then I remembered hmmm, my wife's conditional green card expires in early January, meaning we would have to send our application to remove conditions around October. (I'm a US citizen BTW)

We could get the application prepared before we leave and have it ready to be sent in October. Or we could try to come back in October for a weekend to complete and send the form. But my question is, is it even worth taking a short term job abroad and risk some complications occurring with the I-751 or even re-entry to the states before the green card expires?

Would you do it? If so, is there anything we would have to send USCIS? Would we have to send the change of address form even though we will be back at the same address in 6 months (and I would still be paying mortgage on it while we're away)?

Thanks a lot for your help.

She will have to be in-country for a biometrics appointment as part of the removing conditions process. You guys would also need to be in-country for an interview if one gets scheduled for your case.

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some advice here before having to consult a lawyer. Here's my dilemma: I got a pretty cool opportunity to work in France for about 6 months (starting in next couple months and coming back around end of the year). My wife and I were ready to jump at the chance and then I remembered hmmm, my wife's conditional green card expires in early January, meaning we would have to send our application to remove conditions around October. (I'm a US citizen BTW)

We could get the application prepared before we leave and have it ready to be sent in October. Or we could try to come back in October for a weekend to complete and send the form. But my question is, is it even worth taking a short term job abroad and risk some complications occurring with the I-751 or even re-entry to the states before the green card expires?

Would you do it? If so, is there anything we would have to send USCIS? Would we have to send the change of address form even though we will be back at the same address in 6 months (and I would still be paying mortgage on it while we're away)?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Are you going to keep your residence in the US while in France? Another thing to think about is that a more than 180 days trip outside the US will interrupt your wife's continuous residency for citizenship, so having to come back in October/November for her biometrics will be a good thing. What addres will you use when completing the I-751 form as it must be a US address? If it is different than your current address then both of you will need to file a change of address--your wife will use the on-line AR-11 and you will use the I-865 which will need to be mailed. Or you could wait until you will return to file as long as it is before the GC expires. Your wife's biometric appointment typically will be about 1 month after filing and accepted by the USCIS.

Dave

Are you going to keep your residence in the US while in France? Another thing to think about is that a more than 180 days trip outside the US will interrupt your wife's continuous residency for citizenship, so having to come back in October/November for her biometrics will be a good thing. What addres will you use when completing the I-751 form as it must be a US address? If it is different than your current address then both of you will need to file a change of address--your wife will use the on-line AR-11 and you will use the I-865 which will need to be mailed. Or you could wait until you will return to file as long as it is before the GC expires. Your wife's biometric appointment typically will be about 1 month after filing and accepted by the USCIS.

Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the info. Yes, we will keep our residence in the US while in France and will use that address for the I-751. It is, I guess, our "permanent" address, so it sounds like we don't need to do a change of address?

I've read about the 180 days on this forum, but on the USCIS website I could only find mention of a period of one year out of the States may (or may not?) affect re-entry. Do you know if it mentions the 180 day limit on their website?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.