3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi, my name is Nick and me and my family came in the US mid March, my american born wife (married to her for 10 years) told me to come to Texas to visit his uncle that lives here and while we were here we fell in love with the place and decided to stay, she has her US passport, SSN, everything, but my 3 (9,6 & 1 year old) children and myself do not because we were born in Mexico.

We came to the US legally through a B1/B2 visa and we still have 4 more months to be legally here. And since we are all settled we wouldn't like to go back to do it through the consulate, that is why we decided about the adjustment of status. We have not had problems before to enter the US, we've been here several times to visit.

I already consulted with several lawyers and everyone tells me the same thing. that we have to wait 60 days from our initial entry to the US to apply for the adjustment of status (form I-485) and my wife to submit an Immigrant petition family form (I-130) so we can start our green card applications. That it takes 60-90 days for me to get my EAD card and then to the green card interview. Actually they told me that after the green cards my children immediately apply to be american citizens because of their mother.

Can somebody tell me if there is something missing here? maybe to submit an I-765 form for the EAD card?

Any tips to filling the forms, everything that is to be known about the process?

Can I do this myself (fill and send the forms)? Lawyers tell me my particular case it's quite simple so I don't want to spend that much on lawyers if I can do this myself

I appreciate everything you can tell me about the process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The kids are already citizens -- you just have to do a little paperwork to make it "formal." Here is a link to the Monterrey consulate that lays out everything for you -- you may want to use CDJ if it is closer for you, but the requirements are the same.

http://monterrey.usconsulate.gov/birth_abroad.html

As to your green card, please read the guides and AOS forums above and then you will know if you want to tackle it yourself or if you would be better off using a lawyer. The bottom line is that if you can (and will) follow directions even when they make no sense, and can pay attention to detail, it is very easy to do it yourself -- but please read the guides first and then you will know what is best for you

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

The kids are already citizens -- you just have to do a little paperwork to make it "formal." Here is a link to the Monterrey consulate that lays out everything for you -- you may want to use CDJ if it is closer for you, but the requirements are the same.

http://monterrey.usconsulate.gov/birth_abroad.html

As to your green card, please read the guides and AOS forums above and then you will know if you want to tackle it yourself or if you would be better off using a lawyer. The bottom line is that if you can (and will) follow directions even when they make no sense, and can pay attention to detail, it is very easy to do it yourself -- but please read the guides first and then you will know what is best for you

AlmostDoneWhew,

About the kids: the lawyers I consulted told me they have to do all the process to, they don't have the citizenship because my wife did not live in the US more than 3 years even if she was born here, but when their green card is approved, they can submit for immediate citizenship, also we are already in Texas so we are looking to do it here and not in a consulate.

About my green card: I will look into the guide and forums as instructed

Thanks for all your help and if it's still something missing please let me know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.