ChasUno

Online DS 160 form - when to start it?

12 posts in this topic

I've just been reading up on completing the DS160 form, and note:

"To save your DS-160 to the Consular Electronic Application Center website, click the “Next” button at the bottom of each page you complete. You have 30 days to return to a partially completed application. To access your application after 30 days, you must save it to your computer hard drive or a disk, as explained in theFAQ below."

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ds-160-help-and-frequently-asked-questions-faqs

We just got our NOA2 yesterday and we are waiting for our case number to be assigned. Should we start our DS160 online now, or wait a bit if it's unlikely the Embassy we will be ready for it to be submitted within 30 days? Or choose the save to computer option?

At what point in the K1 process did everyone else submit their DS160?

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

If you want the official answer, read the second paragraph on your instruction page http://london.usembassy.gov/iv/fiance_instructions.html

"You should only complete these steps if you have received notification from the Embassy confirming that your case file has been received in the Immigrant Visa Unit in London."

Your file needs to be in London at least.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks Nich-Nick. So it's not even advisable to start it and not submit it until the file is received in London? I'm just trying to get ahead of the game to save time and make things as quick and as smooth as possible.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Thanks Nich-Nick. So it's not even advisable to start it and not submit it until the file is received in London? I'm just trying to get ahead of the game to save time and make things as quick and as smooth as possible.

Well if you can save for later, then you should be able to work on it. Just don't pull the trigger until your case arrives in London. Isn't it CSC that is notorious for not even sending your case to NVC for a month? Then NVC has to do their thing and send to London. Then London has to do their thing and send you a letter. However most on this forum are rabid to pull the trigger as soon as CEAC says "ready", meaning it is in London.

To me the advantage of working on it early is because you may not have all the info at your fingertips like --

Maybe you don't know your mother's maiden name and birth place (or whatever it asks) so you need to ring Mum.

Or you can't remember the dates of all your trips in your whole life to the US, so you need to ask Mum what year you went to Disneyland. Basically there might be things you want to time to look up because you had no idea what all would be asked. Or perhaps you want to post on VJ, "I can't remember the exact date I went to Disneyland. It was either June or July when I was ten. How can I find out?"

(I'll save you asking that. If you don't know, then the embassy interviewer doesn't know either. Put the best guess you can and nothing will happen to you. And for those who have no idea their absent father's information, it is acceptable to say "unknown".)

I can't see the advantage of submitting the exact minute your case arrives in London either, other than it makes you euphoric to do something. It is not going to put you higher up in the interview queue. The queue starts when the last thing arrives, which for many is the medical results.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

While our case didn't take that long to get from CSC to NVC and off to London (timeline in signature), they don't inform you on the USCIS website when they ship your petition. They say to wait 30 days from receiving your NOA2 hardcopy (and some people have waited that long, sometimes longer--and sometimes, the petition is mistakenly sent to NRC instead of NVC--not to scare you, but it happens!).

In some instances, the USC will also receive the letter from NVC with your case ID number on it, however, that was received by me almost 4 weeks after getting our case number from ringing them up. Kas was rapid to pull the trigger on everything, and submitted the DS-160, readiness form and MRV fee as soon as our case was listed as ready. It's up to you, though. Did it make things go faster for us? No. But if it makes you feel accomplished, then do it...

Edited by chrismorrison

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

To me the advantage of working on it early is because you may not have all the info at your fingertips --

Exactly why I want to work on it asap Nich-Nick. I'd rather not wait to start on it until it is needed, then find it requires info that I can't easily get access to. To be forearmed is to be forewarned!

While our case didn't take that long to get from CSC to NVC and off to London (timeline in signature), they don't inform you on the USCIS website when they ship your petition. They say to wait 30 days from receiving your NOA2 hardcopy (and some people have waited that long, sometimes longer--and sometimes, the petition is mistakenly sent to NRC instead of NVC--not to scare you, but it happens!).

In some instances, the USC will also receive the letter from NVC with your case ID number on it, however, that was received by me almost 4 weeks after getting our case number from ringing them up. Kas was rapid to pull the trigger on everything, and submitted the DS-160, readiness form and MRV fee as soon as our case was listed as ready. It's up to you, though. Did it make things go faster for us? No. But if it makes you feel accomplished, then do it...

Cheers Chris, and as I wrote above, it's more that I'd rather be prepared and ready in advance rather than put it off until later. Life has a habit of throwing all manner of things all at once (waiting for a bus syndrome), and who knows what other pressing matters will require being dealt with come the time.

I've looked at the example DS160 form on VJ, and also others elsewhere online. It doesn't look too daunting and I have most of the information already, including the exact dates of my last 5 x USA trips, which I gathered when putting together the I-129F.

A couple of questions for you Chris: Did you get your case number from:

"Shortcut for those who can’t wait for their letter: NVC accepts phone calls. You can call and ask if your case has arrived, if it has gone to the embassy, and if they have assigned your LND case number.

NVC: 603-334-0700 Press 1 for English
Hours: Monday-Friday from 7:00 AM to midnight (EST).
Best time to call is 7:30 AM to 9:00 AM or 10:00 PM to midnight.

You can also find out your case number from DOS.
DOS: 202-485-7600 Press 1, then 0. 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM (EST)"

And if so, how long did you wait before calling them after getting your NOA2 hardcopy?

Also, one last question regarding the I-134, that my partner has pretty much completed. My partner has got a copy of his very latest Tax Transcripts (to April 2015). What did you submit as proof of monthly income? Bank Statements or wage slips?

Answers will be much appreciated!

Edited by ChasUno

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

A couple of questions for you Chris: Did you get your case number from:

"Shortcut for those who can’t wait for their letter: NVC accepts phone calls. You can call and ask if your case has arrived, if it has gone to the embassy, and if they have assigned your LND case number.

NVC: 603-334-0700 Press 1 for English

Hours: Monday-Friday from 7:00 AM to midnight (EST).

Best time to call is 7:30 AM to 9:00 AM or 10:00 PM to midnight.

And if so, how long did you wait before calling them after getting your NOA2 hardcopy?

Also, one last question regarding the I-134, that my partner has pretty much completed. My partner has got a copy of his very latest Tax Transcripts (to April 2015). What did you submit as proof of monthly income? Bank Statements or wage slips?

Answers will be much appreciated!

I called the NVC to get my Case Number. I waited 1 week from my NOA2 hardcopy until I started calling them (2 weeks total since the petition was approved).

DOS no longer takes calls for K-1s.

I gave Kas everything in terms of income, but at his interview the officer was just fine with my paystubs.

Edited by chrismorrison

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

In my opinion, the tax transcript will be good proof of income. Some photocopies of recent wage slips for extra measure, but probably not needed. Bank statements...meh...not that useful or needed unless you have no income and need to show assets instead. Your website link got obliterated. What website is it? ( in words, not a URL )

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

In my opinion, the tax transcript will be good proof of income. Some photocopies of recent wage slips for extra measure, but probably not needed. Bank statements...meh...not that useful or needed unless you have no income and need to show assets instead. Your website link got obliterated. What website is it? ( in words, not a URL )

Thanks for that Nich-Nick, I'll get my partner to gather up some recent wage slips (he gets paid fortnightly).

Yes, I noticed after I posted my response above that the website name got automatically removed from the link, so as it was rendered useless I removed it entirely. It was from the website "***removed***" that had some guides on how to complete the DS160.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

I called the NVC to get my Case Number. I waited 1 week from my NOA2 hardcopy until I started calling them (2 weeks total since the petition was approved).

DOS no longer takes calls for K-1s.

I gave Kas everything in terms of income, but at his interview the officer was just fine with my paystubs.

Many thanks Chris! :thumbs:

Once my partner gets the NOA2 hard copy, I'll also give them a week then start calling them. Also handy to know that the DOS no longer takes calls for K1's. All helpful info!

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Yes, I noticed after I posted my response above that the website name got automatically removed from the link, so as it was rendered useless I removed it entirely. It was from the website "***removed***" that had some guides on how to complete the DS160.

Hmm, I take it that the website I was trying to mention is a banned site on VJ? It was for "immigration" and "help", and if you shorten "immigration" and then join it with "help" that was the website concerned. Is it not allowed to mention them on VJ?

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Hmm, I take it that the website I was trying to mention is a banned site on VJ? It was for "immigration" and "help", and if you shorten "immigration" and then join it with "help" that was the website concerned. Is it not allowed to mention them on VJ?

I used to look at that website. IH has always blocked references to other websites. Visa Journey didn't used to but I guess they do now.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.